Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Glock Barrel or U-Die

38SuperDub

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have a Glock 35 and you read all the information about the "Glock Bulge" - would you get a new barrel to fix this issue or just use a U-Die to under size all the brass?

Brandon

Time vs. money issue. If you are loading on a progressive, throw the Udie into your first station, and it's no biggie. I use an SDB, and run a Udie on a little single stage for both 9, and 40. I just like the ability to really look at my brass. I inspect it before and after I run it through, and cull out the bad, or iffy ones. So my extra time is not a bad thing.

But if you don't have the time, I guess a different barrel is okay, but I see bulge in .40 casings fired out of alot of pistols other than Glock. If you run a 650, or a 550, though, I'd go with the die. Cheaper, and you are making ammo that should have no problem feeding regardless of barrel make. Takes one more variable out of the equation.

Just my take on it.

JZ

So I have a Glock 35 and you read all the information about the "Glock Bulge" - would you get a new barrel to fix this issue or just use a U-Die to under size all the brass?

Brandon

Even if you get a match grade barrel you would need a U Die or the GR-x die!! All factory 40 cal brass barrels don't have that support and since it is a high preSsured round the force makes it bulge by the head stamp! I posted something like this, "Dillon Dies VS U-Die!" I say just up grad your tools as needed, and save the rest of the money to buy supplies! I got no problems out of my dillon dies they work great!

No issue to fix.

Glock barrels are the best...Glock barrels oddly enough. smile.gif

Their .40 chambers were pretty loose many years ago. No longer.

Regardless, ALL my 9's and .40's get run through a U die before

heading off to the case-feeder. In my estimation the U die is the

best thing in reloading since Mike Dillon.

Their .40 chambers were pretty loose many years ago. No longer.

The newer barrels are tighter (by new I mean the last 15 years), but still leave a pretty good bulge. My issued G22 was replaced last summer, so it's pretty new, and if I shoot ammo through it, then resize with a normal die, they won't chamber in my match guns. Run them through a U-die and they're fine. R,

As Markaveli pointed out, just because the brass you've once fired through your nice tight aftermarket match chamber is bulge-free, other sources of brass you might use may have the same bulge issue.

Ironically, the tighter the chamber, the more necessary it will be to have brass sized to fit it. The more generous tolerances of Glock bbls usually manage the little bit of bulge remaining after standard sizing w/o too much trouble (at least it seems so to me, shooting minor PF's two or three times on the same cases). You get a non Glock bbl, you get standard rifling, which many say is safer than the polygonal rifling of the OEM bbls for shooting lead bullets, but you may also get a chamber that may require at least initial full length resizing on brass shot in a Glock type chamber. Short version, you may need the full length resizing anyway .

Even using OEM Glock barrels, I full length resize the cases (I use a CasePro). I just like the idea of factory spec dimensions on my ammo, figuring that is what the chamber was designed to digest with the lowest failure rate practical.

Love that avatar, Tiger! I decided on a Redding GRx to push through the few sized cases that won't fall into a case gauge. After about 2500 rounds of 40 reloaded, I haven't had any obvious bulges, but about 5% require a push to go fully into the case gauge. I know those would run through my G23 (Gen 3), but I use the GRx anyhow. For me, a new barrel would have been a waste of money I could have used for better things.

So basically - use a case gauge - the ones that dont cut it - run through a "GRx" - and BAM you are done.

Right?

Not really. The round needs to be loaded to use a gauge. The GRX is for empty brass. I plan to run all 40 brass through a GRX when I start loading it.

I guess I saw this video - and was looking how he was checking the brass size and was thinking basically use that and the brass that doesnt fit then throw in a GRx bucket and the ones that do fit throw in a READY TO USE bucket....

-

- Edited by bsdubois00

I wish I had gotten the GRx instead of the Udie. The Udie works fine but even though I use case lube and have polished the h..l out of the powder funnel the case still sticks on the funnel. Slows things waaaaaaay down.

JMHOFWIW

Richard

I get this topic on the phone all the time. So from this thread I'm wondering... Are there aftermarket barrels for Glock's that have fully supported chambers?

With my 40 SVI / fully supported chamber, as long as I started with new brass and only reloaded brass fired in my pistol, I never had to mess around with Udie/GRx dies.

be

Again load your Ammo through your dillon dies and once you come across this problem, invest in some new tools U Die or GR-X die, but I don't know if you know if you pick up the GR-X(think it runs $79.95 cabelas online or Midwayusa.com) and you would need a single stage ptress (lee single stage $50.00) what ever you decide, it might cost you a little or it might cost you a lot, but the point is its gonna cost you! Oh how much does it cost you for your barrel? Your looking at over $200.00 dollas!!!!! Yikes!!

If I ever have this problem I would go with the Single Stage Press and the GR-X die and bottle holder!

Edited by MARKAVELI

GRX Die at Sinclair INTL - 33.95 - Single Stage Lee Press - 27.99 at midway usa -

I have seen Storm Lake barrel's in the 150's and Lone Wolf in the 100's having talked to them they both claim they are fully supported....

"Special features include:

* Ready to use, pre-fit drop in. No gunsmithing required.

* Precision machined from heat treated 416R stainless forgings.

* Oversized lock-up area produces greater shot-to-shot accuracy.

* Tighter dimensions than the original.

* Polished feed ramp and bore, diamond turned exterior

* Maximum chamber support, improved feed ramp design.

* Match grade broach cut rifling and target crown.

* Ok to use lead, plated or jacketed bullets.

* Lifetime warranty.

"

Edited by bsdubois00

GRX Die at Sinclair INTL - 33.95 - Single Stage Lee Press - 27.99 at midway usa -

I have seen Storm Lake barrel's in the 150's and Lone Wolf in the 100's having talked to them they both claim they are fully supported....

"Special features include:

* Ready to use, pre-fit drop in. No gunsmithing required.

* Precision machined from heat treated 416R stainless forgings.

* Oversized lock-up area produces greater shot-to-shot accuracy.

* Tighter dimensions than the original.

* Polished feed ramp and bore, diamond turned exterior

* Maximum chamber support, improved feed ramp design.

* Match grade broach cut rifling and target crown.

* Ok to use lead, plated or jacketed bullets.

* Lifetime warranty.

"

Does that GR-X include the ram and the bottle/bottle adapter? I got my eyes on a model 27 ported barrel Storm too!

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=39741/Product/Redding_GRX_Push_Thru_Base_Sizing_Die

Includes the RAM but no bottle adapter - but I'm not worried about that I will rig that up with alil homemade engineering

If you want the bottle adapter they have them for 9.95 - so you are at 43.00 still much less than the 80.00

Edited by bsdubois00

Thanks. If they are indeed fully supported, and I was shooting a 40 Glock, I'd be installing one of those barrels, so I could forget the GRx/Udie ordeal.

be

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=39741/Product/Redding_GRX_Push_Thru_Base_Sizing_Die

Includes the RAM but no bottle adapter - but I'm not worried about that I will rig that up with alil homemade engineering

If you want the bottle adapter they have them for 9.95 - so you are at 43.00 still much less than the 80.00

Okay thanks for the link, Are you loading for your .40 cal now? I like that Gr-X. Too bad I can't run it through my Dillon!

BS you don't know what your getting into! This is addictive! I got like. Almost 100 sets of 10 different loads to test this weekend and all my wife says is I don't ever come out of THE LAB! We are in the midst on buying a house and we got stuff packed except my LAB! Lol... What ever you decide to get and load on you will love it! See you in RELOADERS REHAB! Lol ...

I get this topic on the phone all the time. So from this thread I'm wondering... Are there aftermarket barrels for Glock's that have fully supported chambers?

With my 40 SVI / fully supported chamber, as long as I started with new brass and only reloaded brass fired in my pistol, I never had to mess around with Udie/GRx dies.

be

My G35 has a KKM barrel, and the empty brass drops right into a Dillon case guage after firing. I use Lee dies, including the FCD. No problems with brass bulges ever.

Brandon

Are you having problems with your reloads?, I've loaded well over 5,000 40 S/W loads for my 3 40 S/W Glocks on a Square Deal B with no issues with the case buldge?

It seems to me (and I'm still a newbie looking for the range and all that) that buying a new bbl with a tighter chamber would CREATE a situation where you would need the new die. As good a business model as that sounds like, my plan is just to keep chugging away with the stock bbl not having problems ;)