Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 Casefeeder

MAKE READY

I like putting my hands on the brass one last time as I put it on the plate. I like flipping it to make sure there is no media or who knows what in the case. I like knowing it is the right headstamp as well. Usually find cracks and splits this way too.

Of course you can do all this before you dump it in the case feeder as well.

I love my 550 and I like to consider it a "production" rig. I can load more than fast enough on it as it is.

I guess this makes the fully loaded 650 and 1050 "limited" and "open" rigs respectively.:goof:

I like putting my hands on the brass one last time as I put it on the plate. I like flipping it to make sure there is no media or who knows what in the case. I like knowing it is the right headstamp as well. Usually find cracks and splits this way too.

I love my 550 and I like to consider it a "production" rig. I can load more than fast enough on it as it is.

I guess this makes the fully loaded 650 and 1050 "limited" and "open" rigs respectively.:goof:

Sarge, are you sure we aren't related? Great minds think alike! :cheers:

What are the advantages of disadvantages to putting a case feeder on your Dillon 550 reloader? How much of a reload time savings is there? :rolleyes:

More here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88204

Also, as was mentioned, it won't work with any rifle ammo.

And a lot more here:

Dillon FAQ:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

“Which Dillon”:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

be

well what would be my ideal Single Stack dillon setup? haha

well what would be my ideal Single Stack dillon setup? haha

SDB. No question. You already have the Lee to load rifle on....

The 550 casefeeder is an awesome upgrade. If you have your toolhead all setup and want to run many rounds and don't need to make adjustments, it is fast. My case overall length seems to be more consistent with the case feeder. The case feeder adds some work to change calibers, especially 9mm to 45acp. Working up loads and fine tuning dies or powder thrower settings is a pain with the case feeder. I have not tried loading rifle since I added the feeder. A second 550 without the feeder would be good to have. A bullet feeder would go great with the case feeder, but I can't comment on how slick that is yet (haven't bitten the bullet and bought one yet).

What are the advantages of disadvantages to putting a case feeder on your Dillon 550 reloader? How much of a reload time savings is there?

I have not tried it but I have considered it and both my Lee Pro and Lee LoadMaster had case feeders and I find them a mixed blessing. It's probably because I'm being overly cautious but I like to look at everything as I reload. And if at any point something doesn't look or feel right or there is any distraction, I'm going to stop and check each station, and pull things out and look closer, and I don't think that's as easy to do with a case feeder in place.

Basically, even with a case feeder, I'm not sure I would load that much faster and I'm pretty sure at this point that I don't need to either. If I ever get there, then maybe I should look at a 650.

The 550 casefeeder is an awesome upgrade. If you have your toolhead all setup and want to run many rounds and don't need to make adjustments, it is fast. My case overall length seems to be more consistent with the case feeder. The case feeder adds some work to change calibers, especially 9mm to 45acp. Working up loads and fine tuning dies or powder thrower settings is a pain with the case feeder. I have not tried loading rifle since I added the feeder. A second 550 without the feeder would be good to have. A bullet feeder would go great with the case feeder, but I can't comment on how slick that is yet (haven't bitten the bullet and bought one yet).

You cannot load rifle cartridges with the 550's Casefeeder.

be

You cannot load rifle cartridges with the 550's Casefeeder.

be

Thanks for the reply Brian. It is nice to hear from you and I really enjoy your forums.

Maybe I should have elaborated more. The only way I know of to load rifle cases, or handgun calibers that I don't have a casefeed conversion for, is to feed each case into the small opening in front of the feed plunger. This would not be fun. For working up a load I just bump the power switch on the feeder to drop one casing or I feed one manually and then set my powder thrower. After I have the powder set and fill all of the stations, I check the powder again.

Is there a better way to load for rifle without taking the casefeeder completely off and replacing the original hardware? I have heard of people using a zip cord to hold the plunger back, but this doesn't add any more room to get your hand into the opening of the shell plate. I don't shoot rifles very often so I don't need to load more than a hundred rounds at one time. I do need to load 2000+ rounds of pistol ammo per month, so the 550 and casefeeder seem to fit the job well.

Is there a better way to load for rifle without taking the casefeeder completely off and replacing the original hardware?

Not that I've heard of. Which is why I never recommend the 550 with the Casefeeder to anyone that will load rifle ammo.

be

• 3 weeks later...

I love my case feeder and purchased the "deluxe quick-change kit" from BE along with the caliber specific stuff for the case feeder. This lets me keep one toolhead completely setup for .40 and one for 9mm. I plan to add a .45 quick-change kit this fall (after buying a .45). I only load around 1000-1200 rounds a month...

It takes me 5-10 minutes max to change and start loading the other caliber.

The one mistake I made when purchasing was that I bought the "large pistol" package, which meant I needed to buy the small pistol casefeed plate to load 9mm. It is ok though as I know I will be loading .45 later this year and I won't have to buy the case feed plate when I add that caliber.

As Brian mentions on his ordering page, if I "knew" when I started that I was going to get a casefeeder I would have gotten a 650 instead, but with the complete toolhead kits, switching calibers on the 550 is really simple and easy.

YMMV - Allen

I found it a PITA to switch calibers with the Casefeeder. It also did not work with 380acp and it's nearly impossible to load with the press with the casefeeder in the way. Running at it's best it would hang up every once in a while on a primer and I had to clear the jam. In the end I found I was faster with out it I think once you take the fiddle factor into the equation. I can load 100rds in 10 mins going a nice and easy pace with out the casefeeder. My main gripe with the 550 casefeeder is that it touchs the case twice (once on the way up and once on the way down). It has to be perfect or it will/can knock the case out of alignment (and there is no clip to push it back any more) and then the primer gets caught on the edge of the case. When running right it's good. Swapping things around for me was just not worth the trouble because it's hard to get it perfect again. Consider selling your 550 and getting a 650 or just adding a 650.

I also found that the case feeder cam may have to be adjusted a bit when changing calibers. I have about 15 tool heads setup and probably 8 powder throwers. I load mostly 9mm for my mom and I (I have a separate toolhead setup for each of us), 45acp for my dad, and once in a while my brother loads 40 cal. The other heads were either calibers that the previous owner of this press used or calibers that I just don't use much. I did have issues running the case feeder and 45 acp with a RCBS sizing die. I think I may need the extra flare that the Dillon die has, or is supposed to have.

I would love to have a 650 or 1050, but I was already loaded with 550 accessories. A second 550 to run without a casefeeder would be a nice addition. It's too bad there is rarely a deal on one though. Overall I am very pleased with the casefeeder.

I also found that the case feeder cam may have to be adjusted a bit when changing calibers. I have about 15 tool heads setup and probably 8 powder throwers. I load mostly 9mm for my mom and I (I have a separate toolhead setup for each of us), 45acp for my dad, and once in a while my brother loads 40 cal. The other heads were either calibers that the previous owner of this press used or calibers that I just don't use much. I did have issues running the case feeder and 45 acp with a RCBS sizing die. I think I may need the extra flare that the Dillon die has, or is supposed to have.

I would love to have a 650 or 1050, but I was already loaded with 550 accessories. A second 550 to run without a casefeeder would be a nice addition. It's too bad there is rarely a deal on one though. Overall I am very pleased with the casefeeder.

Check on Ebay for used ones...Always a few on there...

I'll stick with the manual way, i like to re-inspect things as I reload, case cracks, over powder, primer installation ect..

I check brass before it goes into the tumbler, when it comes out and again as I set it in the first stage. I'm sure it's a nice upgrade but I too, really prefer to have my hands on it.

Sherry

If someone mentions they are looking for a certain type of "Reloader", can a person tell him he has one for sale. I really haven't caught onto all these rules yet and at my age I may never catch on or even catch up....

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP................CookE