Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST powder for 9mm

AirBorne

Has anybody out there ever used WST powder to reload in a 9mm besides CocoBolo? Have a couple lbs of this powder and wanted to use it for that caliber. If you haven't used it for this caliber was there a particular reason for it? I spoke to the folks who took over Winchester's powders and they haven't nor do they have any plans to test this powder for 9mm's since they are happy with the results of the 231 (I believe is the correct one) powder for 9mm's. I have heard that the 231 is a very dirty powder and tho I do clean my weapons after each range session I was interested in trying something different and the shop I buy all my reloading supplies from stated that the WST was a good powder for 9mm's as well as .40 & .45. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject? Thanks

I've tested WST in 40S&W and some day will get around to testing it in 9mm. 155gr Precision RNF 3.8-4.0gr WST 1.135 OAL yields 850-900fps in my Glock 22 w/Storm Lake barrel. It was a very hot day, 92F.

For 9mm I plan to try 147gr Precision FP 3.3-3.5gr WST 1.135 OAL. Expecting 900fps. Mostly I use Solo1000 for 9mm.

I don't have the numbers handy but they don't list a WST load for 9mm. I did have to go way over max to make major with WST in 180 CMJ .40. I did load some 9 with WST but the primers looked like they were starting to show flattening when I made it to 125PF with a 115gr CMJ. I gave up on WST for 9 and only use it in .40 when loading minor.

I've never used WST powder, but have been very happy

with WW231, for light and heavy bullets.

Going to try out N320 next, though - heard it's "better".

I'm using 9mm 147 gr MG & Zero bullets.

I currently use N320 and I'm happy with everything about it but the price. I use Zero 124 FMJ (product #147)the catch with it (N320) besides the price is that since it's an extruded powder I don't get exact dumps everytime. But on avg. of ten dumps it is 4.4 but have gotten 4.6 often enough to notice in the case. With my M9 it needs a heavier load to cycle it properly so it isn't a problem. Was hoping to see if the using ball powder gives a more exact dump. I've only been reloading a couple months and have around 4500 rds reloaded and fired w/o a hitch using the N320, and felt comfortable enough to start experimenting a little with different powders and had heard negative comments about WW231, so when the WST was mentioned...

I've never used WST powder, but have been very happy

with WW231, for light and heavy bullets.

Going to try out N320 next, though - heard it's "better".

I'm using 9mm 147 gr MG & Zero bullets.

I currently use N320 and I'm happy with everything about it but the price. I use Zero 124 FMJ (product #147)the catch with it (N320) besides the price is that since it's an extruded powder I don't get exact dumps everytime. Was hoping to see if the using ball powder gives a more exact dump. I've only been reloading a couple months and have around 4500 rds reloaded and fired w/o a hitch using the N320, and felt comfortable enough to start experimenting a little with different powders and had heard negative comments about WW231, so when the WST was mentioned...

I can't compare them - I've shot only the W231 with 115, 125 and 147 gr bullets

(and can't believe how great the 147's are - I won't go back to 115 or 125's

any time soon). But, since I've read that N320 is "better" I've ordered some,

but it's going to be at least a month or two before I'll have the time to try

it out and compare it to the W231. But, I don't see anything at all wrong with

the W231, yet.

AirBorne - If you want some validation goto http://www.americanactionshooting.com and Email Ted Bonnet, he won a couple world shoots and numerous other shooting titles most of them shooting WST. He is the one that put me onto WST 3 years ago.

Not saying that it is the best for 9 mm, its more perception than anything when you are using a powder in the right speed group.

I like it best in 40 with lead or moly. In 9 mm I've loaded WST, TiteGroup, and N320 and fired them side by side and the difference is almost no distingushiable.

I tested out a new Angus Shadow I bought yestereday and took a minute to Crono the WST load (4.7gr with 124gr RN Zero 1.140) at temp 102 and the avg fps was 1103 or 136pf so you could drop it a couple tenths and still make major in most guns..

I liked WST in 9mm with 147gr Precisions. IIRC it was 3.2gr at 1.120 gave me around 130ish PF. I've heard bad things about WST pressure wise for 115gr loads, but it worked great with 147s. I shoot Solo 1000 now, but I think I actually liked WST a bit better, so I may go back after my keg of S1k is done.

I found the load data on this forum. There's a thread somewhere where someone tested 6 or 8 powders with 147gr molys in 9mm.

I tried like everything to find a load for 9mm using WST. I couldn't, other than unpublished loads on the internet. I was kind of nervous after searching other forums when others talked about using it in 9mm. Not that it can't be done or done safely but I felt there was too much "noise" against using it for 9mm.

I wanted to use WST for 9mm as I ran out of 231 and can't find it anywhere right now. I have since found ample supplies of Titegroup on store shelves at $7 less a pound compared to WST so I use Titegroup.

As far as 231 being dirty, it may be compared to other powders but I don't have a problem with it and haven't for 20 years or so. I would suggest trying it if you have it or can get it I really like it, it meters great and was soft shooting in the 9mm .40 and .45.

AirBorne - If you want some validation goto http://www.americanactionshooting.com and Email Ted Bonnet, he won a couple world shoots and numerous other shooting titles most of them shooting WST. He is the one that put me onto WST 3 years ago.

Not saying that it is the best for 9 mm, its more perception than anything when you are using a powder in the right speed group.

I like it best in 40 with lead or moly. In 9 mm I've loaded WST, TiteGroup, and N320 and fired them side by side and the difference is almost no distingushiable.

I tested out a new Angus Shadow I bought yestereday and took a minute to Crono the WST load (4.7gr with 124gr RN Zero 1.140) at temp 102 and the avg fps was 1103 or 136pf so you could drop it a couple tenths and still make major in most guns..

Couldn't find Ted's email but hope to see him at tomorrow's AASA shoot at the BulletHole. Hopefully I can get further info on this, after checking out alot of different sites I do believe that this powder can be a good one for a 9mm if done properly.

Couldn't find Ted's email but hope to see him at tomorrow's AASA shoot at the BulletHole. Hopefully I can get further info on this, after checking out alot of different sites I do believe that this powder can be a good one for a 9mm if done properly.

Well gosh glad to hear you are coming out. I'm planning on shooting the match myself. I'll bring a hand full of 9 mm loaded up with WST so you can see how they shoot. Ted is on call tomorrow but if he does not have to fly he will be there.

WST and 231 are a bit fast for 9x19, but they certainly work. There is the whole action shooting and the need for gas pressure to work the comp and what powder feels snappy and a bunch of things like that, but for working up a 9x19 load for performance, I look at the following powders:

AA5 (Accurate)

WSL (Winchester)

Unique (Alliant)

Universal Clays (Hodgdon)

N330 (Vihtavuori)

Power Pistol (Alliant)

SR-7625 (IMR)

HS-6 (Hodgdon)same as 540

Silhouette (Ramshot)

N340 (Vihtavuori)

and next slower powders if I am trying to squeeze out the last fps:

Herco (Alliant)

WSF (Winchester)

SR-4756 (IMR)

3N37 (Vihtavuori)

800X (IMR)

AA7 (Accurate)

Longshot (Hodgdon)

True Blue (Ramshot)

For a 125gn jacketed bullet, I show the following:

Bullet Weight Powder Weight Velocity Start/Max

FMJ 124 WST 4.8 1025 Start

FMJ 124 WST 5.4 1100 Max

This appears to be a good general purpose load.

Hope this helps in some small way.

FMJ 124 WST 5.4 1100 Max

Airborne / Noyl - I've been loading WST in 9 mm for 3 years, they must have reformulated that stuff, 4.7 gr is plenty too much for anything short of a moose, and will produce about 1100fps with 124gr MTG RN at 1.140. I'd call a quick start as 4.4 - 4.5 gr with .1gr more in each crono set till you hit your desired pf or pressure signs. With 115gr 5.0 gr is right at minor but those loads don't knock down steel well sick with the 124/125gr.

Coco, using 124 Zero FMJ's. Been using that bullet since I started reloading and I'm happy with the results of it. Going to load about 15 rounds with the WST powder and the 124's starting at 4.4 and go up to 4.8 be 5 rds per the .2 grain increase. Was really hoping to talk with Ted at the shoot but since he was called out that didn't happen. Man I gotta tell you AASA is a blast I enjoyed it more then the regular pistol leagues I've been shooting. Definitely going to shoot it again and plan to make it part of my monthly shoots which include the Bullet Hole, Alpha Mike's (Cedar Ridge) and BlackHawk. Going to check out River City as well but want to leave one week-end open for the Missus. Thanks for the info you've provided.

FMJ 124 WST 5.4 1100 Max

Airborne / Noyl - I've been loading WST in 9 mm for 3 years, they must have reformulated that stuff, 4.7 gr is plenty too much for anything short of a moose, and will produce about 1100fps with 124gr MTG RN at 1.140. I'd call a quick start as 4.4 - 4.5 gr with .1gr more in each crono set till you hit your desired pf or pressure signs. With 115gr 5.0 gr is right at minor but those loads don't knock down steel well sick with the 124/125gr.

Coco, using 124 Zero FMJ's. Been using that bullet since I started reloading and I'm happy with the results of it. Going to load about 15 rounds with the WST powder and the 124's starting at 4.4 and go up to 4.8 be 5 rds per the .2 grain increase. Was really hoping to talk with Ted at the shoot but since he was called out that didn't happen. Man I gotta tell you AASA is a blast I enjoyed it more then the regular pistol leagues I've been shooting. Definitely going to shoot it again and plan to make it part of my monthly shoots which include the Bullet Hole, Alpha Mike's (Cedar Ridge) and BlackHawk. Going to check out River City as well but want to leave one week-end open for the Missus. Thanks for the info you've provided.

Just found out that River City Shooters and BlackHawk are one and the same.

FMJ 124 WST 5.4 1100 Max

I have used WST in 9x19 for minor loads. 231 is dirtier than WST, but in my own unscientfic testing (touching barrel with my hand) WST puts more heat than 231, but not as much as Titegroup. I've been using it for a couple of years and have since stopped using 231, WST is my prefered powder for 9 minor and 45acp now.

• 1 month later...

FMJ 124 WST 5.4 1100 Max

Where did that data come from?

FYI, I wouldn't call W231 a dirty powder. It might not be the absolute cleanest powder but far from dirty. In my limited testing it seems to produce a little more soot and smoke than titegroup at low charge weights and a little less than TG at max loads.

Clifton,

We have 2 of our Production Shooters using WST. Their load is 3.3 grains behind

a 147 grain Montana Gold bullet. It shoots soft and does not show any pressure

problems. I hesitate to offer load data, but I know this load works for them.

I'm not sure what the overall length is for this load.

Ron V, aka/Sparky

3.3 grains behind MG 147 CMJ would be subminor out of my CZ. But it sure would shoot soft.

Sperman,

I do not shoot this load, but two guys do shoot it with Glock 34's and its makes

Minor. One shooter lives in the same town as me; I will have to Chrono his loads

to get the number.

Ron