Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

View New Content / Sphinx

benos

It's not though... you should see a new top called "Obscured? What does it mean?"

It's not showing up since I posted it about 20 mins ago.

Please be patient. I want to get to the bottom of this. I have WAY to much work in it at this point to just give up now.

be

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay a couple of things to give you some input.

I posted to the topic I started in an attempt to bump it. I thought that this did not work, but about 10 mins after I did that the topic showed up in new content.

Also, this could be on my end, but I had a time out happen when hitting new content and some very slow responses at different point after I clicked on something.

JT

Thanks for the feedback.

With Sphinx, VNC updates new Topics every 15 minutes. New posts appear to appear in VNC immediately.

At 2:31, I logged out, and marked the board as read. (Link at the bottom of the form home page.) Posted in a couple topics, and watched other new posts added to the forums. After about 20 minutes, VNC returned what appeared to be accurate results (including the two topics I posted in.)

So let's let it run on Sphinx for a while and see how it goes.

Also, in your post, please note if you logged out and then waited 15 minutes before checking VNC.

be

Edited by benos
changed 2nd sentence

Test post at 3:47

... Which was also in VNC immediately.

Weird.

be

Did you try a test "topic?"

Also I spoke to another forum member who posted a new topic and it appeared at once.... strange.

Edited by JThompson

Setting: Show me all content that I have not read

Just logged back in and hit VNC, got a good number of posts, scanned through the topics and saw one or two that I wanted to read.

I read them then hit VNC again. Got a similar set of results, but it did not return the topics that I had read (which is good as that ties in with my settings).

It seems to be working well for me.

Not working again for me. Setting as as you requested Brian. What I see is some results. At the current time of 8:56am, the last post I see using VNC is at 8:44am, but viewing the board from the main page, I see post that are at 8:52am, etc., which don't show up in the VNC.

Edit to add:After a few minutes, a few new post will show up, but not all. The last post I see is about Horus Blackbird at 8:59am, while when I look at the main forum, I many post after this time. Current time is 9:08.

Edit to add again: 2 minutes later, one new post shows up using VNC, but on the main board, I see several more post. I have not read them, so I should be seeing them. Personally, I think Sphinx is cursed and would much rather have the old VNC back again.

My bet is this thread will getting lots of exposure again here in a bit...

Edited by GrumpyOne

After logging out and back in, I can see the first page of new content fine. If there's a lag i can deal with that. The issue I see is when I go to page 2 of new content. It's got dupes from page one, and also shows other threads that were supposed to be on page one. There is no chronological order between page 1, 2, 3. Its like when you click page 2, its running a separate search, coming up with stuff that may or may not have been on page one.

Hope that make sense. I can do some screen shots if it helps.

Cleared cookies (at 9:15 EST), logged off, back on, no new content. At 9:23, still showing no new content (Before I logged off and cleared cookies at 9:15am, I marked entire board as read, so any new post would have to show up), 9:25 am, still no new post in VNC, but new post are showing on the main board at 9:18, etc.

Settings are show all content I have not read.

Edit to add: It is now 9:30am, still seeing no new content when there are clearly at least 7 threads I have not read on the main board.

Edit again to add: At 9:31 am, 6 new post showed up with VNC.

Edit to add again: At 9:35am, VNC returns no new content, when I have not read any thread from 9:31 till then.

Edit to add again: At 9:37am, the 6 original threads show back up in VNC.

Edit to add: At 9:43, went to check my settings (again!), they were correct per your instructions, but now the time is off by 1 hour. It is now showing 8:43am for EST.

At 9:44am , the time changed back to correct EST time. Still only showing 6 new posts when there are many more I have not read.

At 9:47, 7 new post showed up in VNC, ranging in time from 9:31 to 9:46. Still not all post that have been posted. It is posting the new thread content every 15 minutes apparently, along with the new topics.

Edited by GrumpyOne

When using VNC, I think that it redoes the search each time you hit the button to view the next page. When it redoes the search it then calculates what should be on the next page. If someone updates a topic at that time then an entry from page 1 could get pushed into page 2 and show up again.

I seem to recall that this was something that was switched on after a previous upgrade. I'll see if I can find it.

When using VNC, I think that it redoes the search each time you hit the button to view the next page. When it redoes the search it then calculates what should be on the next page. If someone updates a topic at that time then an entry from page 1 could get pushed into page 2 and show up again.

I seem to recall that this was something that was switched on after a previous upgrade. I'll see if I can find it.

But its posting stuff that chronologically should have been on page 1, but didnt show up. Or stuff that was at the top of page 1, and now is the middle of page 2. Im used to seeing stuff from the bottom of 1, show at the top of 2. The way its happening now does not make sense. Later today I'll mark all as read. I think that helped this issue the last time we were using sphinx.

*edit* and now it doesnt look like its messing up at all.. :wacko:

Edited by DWFAN

GrumpyOne,

What web browser?

The reason we do want Sphinx to work is realted to forum searches. Our database is to big for Traditional search to work accurately. As I mentioned a elsewhere, a forum-wide, Traditional search for "enos" returns only 142 results. That same search with Sphinx returns 1000+ reslults!

be

GrumpyOne,

What web browser?

The reason we do want Sphinx to work is realted to forum searches. Our database is to big for Traditional search to work accurately. As I mentioned a elsewhere, a forum-wide, Traditional search for "enos" returns only 142 results. That same search with Sphinx returns 1000+ reslults!

be

IE 7 on my work laptop (don't tell work! I'll get in trouble again!).

Brian, I never had any problem finding what I needed to find using the old search...

Sometimes, fewer relevant results gets a better result. Say, for instance, you were looking for one particular instance of your name in a thread, and it returned 1,000+ entries, start wading.... But, if you knew just a bit more about what was in that thread, say, Enos+45 acp, it would narrow the results way down...making the end result much easier to get at. I'm probably off in left field on this, as Sphinx probably will do the same thing, but IMO, it just has too many bugs..Everything has to be just right or it doesn't work, the right browser, the right cookies, the right settings, etc. With the old search, it didn't matter. It's like the old 55 chevy and the new corvette. The corvette may be faster and sleeker, but can you work on it like the 55?

Edited by GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne,

According the experts at IP, Shpinx is the only way to go for a forum with as many posts as ours. So we'll keep working with it until we get it sorted out.

On the IE browser, I've seen LOTS of bugs reported with it in IP's fourms. I can't say for sure if it's the case for you and VNC... just in the FYI department.

be

It has got to be an issue with IE7, as on my home computer, running IE8, it's working fine now...I can't upgrade my browser on the work computer (or even change it) as there are certain proprietary websites which will only allow IE7 to run on them...Oh well, I can deal with it...Thanks for all your hard work Brian! :cheers:

It has got to be an issue with IE7, as on my home computer, running IE8, it's working fine now...I can't upgrade my browser on the work computer (or even change it) as there are certain proprietary websites which will only allow IE7 to run on them...Oh well, I can deal with it...Thanks for all your hard work Brian! :cheers:

Thanks GrumpyOne.

be

Forum back to weird posting for VNC.Just posted on Glock Forum and them when I clicked VNC to see if it posted, it wasn't in the # 1slot, but rather at the top of page 2. TIme of postings showed as after the rest of the posts on page 1. Weird. Safari 5.01, VNC set to all the new since last visit. Thanks.

I read the previous posts about this-I am not sure I understand the need for Sphinx, but have been using google to search for old stuff, because a lot of really valuable content-say from BE 2002 or so about triggers and stuff is not findable. I once got a lot of that stuff and saved it to my Documents to read. That's why I stopped telling people to "search" when new people asked an old question or old people asked a new question. A lot of stuff is not findable in a straight forward manner.

I appreciate all the effort and everything put into the Forums. SImply the best source for all things shooting.