Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

View New Content / Sphinx

benos

My last Post from the other VNC Topic:

So we can gather some info on this before I have to leave for the rest of the week, let's do a test.

I'm going to start a new thread titled "View New Content / Sphinx" and set the search to Sphinx, and let it run like that overnight.

So please test VNC and post in that thread if VNC works for you or not.

Also please note in your post if no Topics are returned, or if it doesn't look like they all were returned, as oppossed to saying "it's not working".

Then before I leave tomorrow morning, I'll start a new Topic called "View New Content / Traditional" - then please test VNC and post the same as above.

be

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really want to get this working with Sphinx, because it's SO much more effective and SO much faster at searching.

I did a Traditional forum-wide search for "enos" - and 142 results were retruned. Set to Shpinx search, 1000+ results were returned.

be

I have feeling that the bug is related to VNC itself, and not with either Sphinx or the Traditional searching.

Just took the attached screenshot. Definitely way to many time gaps between some of the Topics. And it looks similar to a VNC I did a while ago, but set to Traditional search.

be

post-171-076901400 1281489242_thumb.jpg

Also, in case you didn't see it in the other VNC thread, be sure you have your "Search Settings" in My Settings set to "show me all content that I have not read," before posting that it did or did not work.

be

And also, please stop deleting cookies. That may be creating the problem. Just be sure you're set as in the post above.

Although I just test deleted all cookies and it didn't appear to change the results.

be

IE8

I went to the main page. Saw there was new content. Hit VNC. Nothing. No results. It simply does not work. Sorry.

Been set to "show me all content that I have not read," since this started.

Shortly after I posted the above. I revisited VNC and got about 21 results. I did not read them nor did I mark them read. I went to another forum. I just now hit VNC again and got no results. They all still show up on the main page though.

Also, in case you didn't see it in the other VNC thread, be sure you have your "Search Settings" in My Settings set to "show me all content that I have not read," before posting that it did or did not work.

be

Did that. Tested with and without deleting cookies. VNC finds no posts.

No new posts for me when I logged on and clicked VNC

Brian, I've noticed some odd behavior in the Last Visit value. At the bottom the forum is a box on the right that indicates the current time and the time that the user was last logged on. This second value, called 'Last Visit' is not being set correctly. If VNC uses this value to determine what posts have been added since the last visit then it could mess up the results.

Settings per the discussion above - VNC is returning only very sporadic results with large time gaps between returned posts.

Never had a single VNC problem with the traditional system and now with Sphinx VNC simply doesn't work. I'm no computer scientist, but to an average Joe like me it seems like the Sphinx thingy is screwing things up.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

It found over 1000 entries since May.. Im trying something else. I marked all content as read, and will report back after a while to see if anything is better.

Im getting good results now, and they are at accurate intervals.

Edited by DWFAN

At 6pm EST, I did a check and found that VNC produced nothing. It's now 11pm and it's working.

Ummmmmmm....... I have not read any messages but it's now 11:12pm and it's not finding any new content.

FWIW, I did send a PM between 11:00 and 11:12

Edited by Graham Smith

IE8

I went to the main page. Saw there was new content. Hit VNC. Nothing. No results. It simply does not work. Sorry.

Been set to "show me all content that I have not read," since this started.

Shortly after I posted the above. I revisited VNC and got about 21 results. I did not read them nor did I mark them read. I went to another forum. I just now hit VNC again and got no results. They all still show up on the main page though.

90 minutes later and still showing "no new content".

Sure would like to read the forums the most convenient way with VNC.

When I first logged on this evening I pressed VNC and had no new posts. But I scanned through the forum and read a few, I hit VNC a few more times and nothing.

I come back after a couple of hours, hit VNC and 6 pages of posts including some that I had already read when I scanned through the first time.

The inconsistent nature of this problem points to two possibilities (that I can think of).

1.Something is hosing up the board index

2.Something is screwing up the cookies.

I think it's the latter. The cookies keep track of what topics/posts you have read and the time that you read them, and the time you last logged in. If the cookies are getting hosed up then each time VNC is pressed you could get un-predictable results.

Signed out. Closed the browser. Rebooted. Signed back in. Now finding new content. Poltergeists?

What is Last Visit set to for you... It's on the main forum screen, down the bottom on the right ? Is the time that you last visited, the time that you signed back on after closing your browser, or s it set to a completely different time ?

Edited by BritinUSA