Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

View New Content / Sphinx

benos

No new posts for me when I logged on and clicked VNC

Brian, I've noticed some odd behavior in the Last Visit value. At the bottom the forum is a box on the right that indicates the current time and the time that the user was last logged on. This second value, called 'Last Visit' is not being set correctly. If VNC uses this value to determine what posts have been added since the last visit then it could mess up the results.

Good one Paul.

What is making you say it is not set correctly?

It looked about right for me - when I came back from my last visit, I had a forum home page in another tab that was still there. So I looked at it before I reloaded the page and the time was about when I left.

Also, the forum is set to know you are not here after you have not clicked anything for 15 minutes.

I appreciate your help.

be

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I powered up my Mac and logged on it said my Last visit was 7:11 am this morning. Later it said my last visit was 8:11 pm

It could be a timeout for the session that causes the strange value, I'm not really sure. I am certain that something is getting corrupted with the markers for each user. Some are stored in Cookies and some are stored in the DataBase itself. I think something is happening to those values. That's why it impacts both search engines.

They may be looking for bugs in the search engines but I think they need to be looking at the data that is stored in the DB and Cookies for the session values.

It found over 1000 entries since May.. Im trying something else. I marked all content as read, and will report back after a while to see if anything is better.

Im getting good results now, and they are at accurate intervals.

My results this morning on a different PC look good also. Its finding valid results back to about (:20 when I marked all content read.

ETA - Its not accurate, its doubling posts on page 2 and 3 of VNC that should be on where on the first page.

Edited by DWFAN

When I powered up my Mac and logged on it said my Last visit was 7:11 am this morning. Later it said my last visit was 8:11 pm

It could be a timeout for the session that causes the strange value, I'm not really sure. I am certain that something is getting corrupted with the markers for each user. Some are stored in Cookies and some are stored in the DataBase itself. I think something is happening to those values. That's why it impacts both search engines.

They may be looking for bugs in the search engines but I think they need to be looking at the data that is stored in the DB and Cookies for the session values.

IE8

My Time Now is off by over an hour. It's actually 7:22 and my last visit is off by several days. My actual last visit was yesterday evening. The values are the same whether I'm set to "since last visit" or "that I have not read".

Time Now: Aug 11 2010 06:17 AM

Last activity on my profile page shows the correct time:

Last Active:user_green.png Today, 07:24 AM

Both "since last visit" or "that I have not read" return the same results this morning in VNC.

There are 145 new entries since Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Edited by Steve J

What is Last Visit set to for you... ?

Right now (10:43am EST) it says last night, but I was in and read messages this morning around 9am.

FWIW, I signed out of the forum, closed the browser, and signed back in and the last visit changed to the current time. Makes me wonder if last visit is actually the last time signed in.

Edited by Graham Smith

Arrgh. All settings per Brian's post, and was able to get new posts this morning around 6:30. At 11:20, "no new posts".

As a previous poster noted, when I did get new posts, I found several of the posts repeated through the 8 or 9 pages of posts.

BB

Arrgh. All settings per Brian's post, and was able to get new posts this morning around 6:30. At 11:20, "no new posts".

As a previous poster noted, when I did get new posts, I found several of the posts repeated through the 8 or 9 pages of posts.

BB

Same here.

That's the same issue I am seeing and it is what leads me to suspect that the problem is with the marker/cookie/variable that keeps track of the time and what topics you have read. They used to be stored as cookies but some/all of them may now be stored in the Database itself. If there is some corruption of that data, or the something is over-writing it then the VNC will give these un-predictable results.

From here on in this thread... From a tech ticket, I was told to have members log out and log back in, before testing VNC with Sphinx. So I will set the search to Sphinx again. And then please log out and log back in before testing VNC again. And report your findings in the VNC / Sphinx Topic.

So in your post, from here on, please report that you logged out and back in before reporting your findings.

Thanks,

be

IE8, set to view new content I have not read.

At 3:45 CDT I logged out and logged back in. I see new content on the main page.

I hit VNC and got this: There are 52 new entries since Today, 01:23 PM

Without reading anything, I went back the the main page and hit VNC again.

This was the result: No new content.

I repeated the process and got: There are 58 new entries since Today, 01:23 PM

I marked all read.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited to add: I just checked the results again at 4:00 and got: There are 2 new entries since Today, 02:53 PM

That is not right. The main page shows new posts in 4 different forums and it should be since 3:45, not 2:53PM

Edited by Steve J

Weird. Before logging out, VNC / Spinx returned what apeared to be accurate results. Then after logging out/ back in, No Results Were Found. Maybe that's how it's supposed to work. Will check again after this post.

be

Weird. Before logging out, VNC / Spinx returned what apeared to be accurate results. Then after logging out/ back in, No Results Were Found. Maybe that's how it's supposed to work. Will check again after this post.

be

Yes, now only this thread was found with VNC.

We'll let it run for a awhile and see how it goes after the log out.

be

Set to 'Show me all new content since my last vist'

Logged off and on again

Hit VNC and got nothing

Waited about 40 minutes:

There are 19 new entries since Today, 02:19 PM

So 19 new entries in 40 minutes sounds about right.

be