Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory 9mm loads and ISMI 11LB spring?

G34 CORDY

I just ran out of my atlanta arms 147 grain ammo and I have a match on saturday so I had to pick up some factory WWB 115 grain ammo. My question is will the factory ammo beat up the frame of my G34 with the 11LB spring? I love the 11LB spring and would rather keep it in as long as it wont do damage to my G34. Thanks :D

You should be fine as I think 9mm WWB is pretty tame. It is used around here to calibrate steel as it is close to 125 pf. I know Remington UMC is just under 125pf in my 34 as well. But then again it all runs my stock springs just fine also. Should be OK but I would pack along a spare spring in case it feels like it is battering things too much.

I have a 13LB spring and my factory spring that I keep in my range bag. I just dont know really how to feel if its battering the gun. Iam use to the feel of my 147's, I have shot WWB with my 11LB spring before just a few shots and it did have a harder feel in my hand but nothing I thought was excessive.

No such thing as frame-battering in Glocks, they flex.

Now, with an 11lb spring I'm assuming you're running a reduced power striker spring too, if so, I'd be more worried about potential light-strikes with the WWB if you're used to setting off Federal Primers (not sure what Atlanta Arms uses as primers but in a lower PF match round I'd guess they're Federal's... might want to inquire unless anybdy knows?).

FWIW, If I'm correct and you maybe decide to end up using a stock striker spring, I wouldn't go below a 13lb spring for fear of having it fire out-of-battery.

Edited by ck1

Sarge do u think that's to light of a spring?

Man, I'll tell you what, the 34 is so drop dead reliable that I think it would find a way to run with a 5 lb or a 25 lb spring. I won't say 11 lb is too light for YOU to run. But it is too light for MY preference. My experiences are with another popular striker gun last year. I could not get it to run with a 13 let alone an 11. It was firing out of battery and all kinds of other nightmare failures. BUT I was not running a light striker or spring so that was probably part of it.

When I put an 11 in my "other" gun the slide would fall open if I shook it which I thought was an accident waiting to happen.

My gut feeling is that the 11 lb setup will let you down unless you keep fresh springs in it and keep it very clean. I learned real fast that 2000 rounds in this game is a drop in the bucket. If I could make it run perfect all season long with any setup then I would feel comfortable.

Bottom line shoot what you like and the gun loves.

Edited by Sarge

BUT I was not running a light striker or spring so that was probably part of it.

Just out of curiosity, why were you running an 11-pound recoil spring with a stock firing pin spring? If you'd also been running a reduced power firing pin spring, I believe you would have had a very different experience.

Does the glock pass the test with the 11 in it? That is a basic question, regardless of how it seems to run. If it does not pass the test and pull that slide into battery, then its not a safe gun.

BUT I was not running a light striker or spring so that was probably part of it.

Just out of curiosity, why were you running an 11-pound recoil spring with a stock firing pin spring? If you'd also been running a reduced power firing pin spring, I believe you would have had a very different experience.

Not afraid to say I did not know any better. Like I said it was probably part of the problem. And, I believe I, MIGHT, have had a different experience as well. But I lost confidence in the gun so, thats pretty much all there is to say about that.

So far the gun does not come out of battery and it has been 100% reliable. Just to keep it reliable I will be changing recoil springs every so often. I just prefer the 11LB spring but like the 13LB spring also. I have been very impressed with the G34's reliability so far.

Call it what you want, it's still getting battered if you run too light a spring.

How so? Or what do you mean when you think "frame battering"?

As I understand it, in a 1911 or other metal gun, the metal to metal collision that can happen at the end of the slide's travel range with too light a spring causing/leading to problems is what "frame battering" is. I've never seen or heard of a Glock experiencing anything like that, and guess if there was frame battering taking place it would maybe weaken the front rail's set in the polymer, but that would just get you a new lower from Glock... never heard a case of that happening.

Well I guess the only way to find out is to shoot it and if it breaks buy a new part or gun. I dont think the 11LB spring will do any damage personally but I really dont know. there are alot of guns running lower LB springs than 11. Iam going to have fun with it until it gives me a problem (if it ever does). There is always a what if in this game. B)

I just want to see a video of a Glock firing out of battery. :)

I don't know if you will see a video of it. It may not even be what you are thinking of. The first sign of the problem(Which I want make clear was learned from members of this forum)will be way off center primer strikes. My other gun would misfire and when I looked at the round I found the striker had actually hit in the groove between the primer and the case. I don't know the exact measurements but that must have been open a fair amount and would probably have been a real issue had it actually set the primer off. I had many many off center primer strikes that did go off and appeared perfectly normal during firing.

As I learned, the gun was probably popping out of battery when I pulled the trigger because the striker was fighting the recoil spring and winning. More or less. :closedeyes:

Call it what you want, it's still getting battered if you run too light a spring.

How so? Or what do you mean when you think "frame battering"?

As I understand it, in a 1911 or other metal gun, the metal to metal collision that can happen at the end of the slide's travel range with too light a spring causing/leading to problems is what "frame battering" is. I've never seen or heard of a Glock experiencing anything like that, and guess if there was frame battering taking place it would maybe weaken the front rail's set in the polymer, but that would just get you a new lower from Glock... never heard a case of that happening.

Probably not looking at it the same as you. To simplify it in my mind I think of shooting a gun with no recoil spring in it. The slide coming back has to be hitting(battering) something pretty hard. I guess the locking block? I'm not a gunsmith. All I know is when my gun did work with light springs the 11 lb setup made it feel like somebody was smacking my hand where as the 13, 15, etc felt more like, well..., recoil springs. That's the best I can describe it. Sorry.

With the atlanta arms 147's I personally dont get that slap in the palm feel but I do when I use factory loads with the 11LB spring. It dont bother me either way, but I do love the way the 11LB spring keeps the gun flatter during recoil. different strokes for different folks, right now I couldnt be happier with my setup. I have tried different setups and this by far is my fav.

• 2 weeks later...