Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK, moved to the country and starting from scratch on the power tool end. I don't plan on doing much fine work mostly rough carpentry, fixing a porch, tear outs and fixing outbuildings.

Can someone point me in the right direction regarding the pieces I'll need and any brand recommendations? Also, if you see any great internet deals or places to buy I would really appreciate a heads up.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

OK, moved to the country and starting from scratch on the power tool end. I don't plan on doing much fine work mostly rough carpentry, fixing a porch, tear outs and fixing outbuildings.

Can someone point me in the right direction regarding the pieces I'll need and any brand recommendations? Also, if you see any great internet deals or places to buy I would really appreciate a heads up.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

I've had great luck with Ryobi tools. They are available through Home Depot. Ryobi bought out Ridgid Tools (an Emerson company that makes the Sears Craftsman tools) a few years ago and they are now made on the same lines. The difference between the brands is the warranty.

Ryobi tools are a good value for non professional use. They aren't as expensive as Bosch or Delta/Porter, and will still get most jobs done.

I have Rigid. At the time I bought them they had a lifetime guarantee on everything including the Batteries so I bought the set. I was going to buy a DeWalt set but I couldn't pass up the Rigid warranty. The Rigid Sawsall broke on me, it was my fault, but they fixed it no questions asked.

I have used Dewalt and Rigid, they are both good, Rigid was a little more hefty and Dewalt was a little more loose.

Spend the money once, you don't have to buy the most expensive but don't go cheap, you will regret it.

I've had good luck with the Craftsman series of C3 cordless tools. There's better stuff out there if you use them for a living, but for around the house they're at the right price and quality point. It's also handy to have 8-10 tools that all take the same batteries. I don't run out of go juice during most projects. though occasionally I'm forced to gather all batteries....

it would help if you would be more specific.

Corded or cordless???

The best corded circular saw in my opinion is the Milwaukee "tilt-lok", probably have the best sawzall and drill too.

I have the "Ryobi" cordless 18 volt lithium set, drill is a beast. Ran a 2.5 inch holesaw thru a double 2x4 like butter. The sawzall is OK, don't like the circular saw too well though. Don't take much of a pinch to kill it.

Batteries charge fast and go wide open till they die, I mean they just STOP.

mildot

If you have room for it, a table saw is invaluable. Look for an older Craftsman with them motor on the outside of a table using a drive belt to drive the blade, and not a saw with a direct drive motor. They can be had for around $100 used.

You can see my shop at www.markkauder.com.

You can get some good advice on tools, etc at www.woodcentral.com. Good folks there.

Mark K.

My other major hobby is woodworking. For power hand tools, I have mostly Bosch. They are a bit more expensive than the typical Big Box in house brand but tons more durable and better designed. "Buy once, cry once" is my motto for both guns and tools. I always buy the best that I can afford.

While most of my small power tools are Bosch, I have other brands as well. You'll often find that one brand has a great drill, while another has a better sander while yet a third has the best router. Both Wood and Fine Woodworking magazines have many tool comparisons that can help you with your decision. In addition, the customer comments on the Amazon.com site are extremely helpful because they come from the actual users of these tools.

Sawmill Creek is a forum for woodworking similar in its culture and feeling of being a community to the Enos forum. It has a great sub-forum on power tools.

You'll likely find that you'll want at least a 10-inch contractor's saw and a 10" compound miter saw to help with the remodeling efforts. A sliding compound miter saw is even better and I really like the Bosch in that as well.

Do a little research on the web and you'll be able to get dozens of informed opinions.

Edited by XD Niner

For new:

Amazon.Com

AcmeTools.com (formally Tool Crib of the North, 10 years ago - Amazon bought them)

I have a little of everything. Porter Cable, Delta, Jet, Dewalt, Bosch, Craftsman, Milwaukee, Hitachi. There's not one company that makes the best of everything.

To me it depends on what tool you're looking for, to what brand I'd get. (like XD Niner says). And I concur about the reviews in Wood.

Example: I like PC for sanders, hate their routers, (I like my Bosch for handheld, Hitachi for the router table). I like Dewalt's biscuit jointer better than PC's

Thanks everyone! I was thinking mostly cordless with an exception for a heavy drill.

I have really gone over the edge..In the last few weeks a bought a Compact Tractor (Massey GC2400) and a Sthil Farm Boss, now on to Power tools.My friends back home think I have lost my mind. I'm from northern NJ originally but this country life in Nebraska really caught my attention. Wish me luck, I am sure I will learn allot, hopefully without too many injuries.

I think I've used or owned most all of the brands out now. Used to contract with them, but now it's just around the house stuff. I'd suggest the following;

Cordless drills,

None that I've used lasts that long. If you use them a bunch the batteries dry up from repetitive chargings. Now I have a couple of Craftsman 19.2v drills. The batteries are all just about toast. Good drills that take a bunch of abuse. Biggest junk I've had was Ryobi 18v. Batteries and chargers died way too soon. Almost had to give them away... When I need another drill I'll see what Craftsman has to offer again.

Coreded drill,

I've had almost all of them. My favorite is my large chuck Milwalkee. Great smooth drill until it started to spark and I thought I would take it apart to put brushes in it. It no workee now... Hope to find a shop to fix it for me again...

Circular Saw,

I'd stick with a corded model here. I've had the battery ones and they burn up quick. I have a Porter Cable 7 1/4 left cut. If you are right handed you'll love a left cut!

Sawzall,

Again I'd stick with a corded model. Unless you're just cutting off a few nails you'll burn up a battery pretty quick. I've got a Dewalt now, but I had a Milwalkee before. Both are nice.

Chop saw,

I have a compound miter 10" Dewalt that I really really like. Very accurate and easy to use. The only up grade I would have is to make it a radial arm too. Those are really nice...

Table saw,

Definitely agree with the old craftsman! You can get them pretty cheap and they are built like a tank! The tables are very good quality and sturdy.

Drill press,

Not something everyone would need, but I wanted to throw it out there cause mine is so excellent! I have an old model Craftsman floor model. It's only like a 3/4 horsepower model, but it's got the variable belt design. It is a hoss! I absolutely love that old press. Great stable design and very usable. If you find one buy it!

Sanders,

I've never really noticed a big difference in the brands. The best thing you can do to keep it working is blow out the motor vent regularly. I'd say that most sanders get trashed from dust in the motor.

Planer/joiner,

Don't have one now, but I used to have a table top planer. They aren't cheap, but if you are doing finish work they will make you look good! A joiner will make your table tops look great. Cheap on both of those is pretty expensive. I'd say look at the model that has the cheapest replacement blades.

Router,

I have an old Black n Decker my grandfather gave me when I was a teenager. Works great, but the best thing I did was make a table to mount it in. Much better quality...

Circular Saw,

I'd stick with a corded model here. I've had the battery ones and they burn up quick. I have a Porter Cable 7 1/4 left cut. If you are right handed you'll love a left cut!

+1 on the left view PC circular saw. It really is much easier to see the blade cutting with this arrangement and your cuts will be more accurate.

For the record I bought a top of the line Makita 18v cordless hammer drill last year or so. I have had two lithium batteries go bad for some unknown reason. I got one replaced free, the second battery just went bad yesterday. I'll have to see if they will help me out again. My old 18v dewalt is still kicking but the batteries are about done. I would go with Dewalt for most stuff.

For a handheld circular saw, I have to vote for the Skill 77, another left hand blade. The weight really comes in handy when bobbing 2x4s,

Drills, I am partial to Bosch but no real opinion. Also look at the Bosch table saw.

On Chop saws, get one that takes "Standard" 10" blades, mine takes 9" and they are a pill to find :angry2:

Above all get Good extension cords and take care of them. More tools die because someone uses too light a cord for the application. I am running nothing lighter than a 10 gauge.

Edited by Modoc