Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cops who can shoot,

kevin c

Glad yours can shoot. We had a police officer who last night fired 5 times at a suspect from 10 yards and missed with all 5 rounds. Kind of scary unless you are one of the bad guys.

Easy to armchair if you are not in his / her shoes. Was he being shot at? A real gunfight is a hell of a lot different than a timer going BEEP in a match!

To follow the Kevin's statement, what I think he is acknowledging is the LEO who get's into the game and who makes the decision to get far better at pistolcraft than his/her peers. It is only a game and as such it is done completely different than "most" training. I am sure every LEO (so no bagging, its just inappropriate) can methodically/slowly go through any COF and hit the targets. When I was introduced to the game, I was amazed at what some of the shooters can do. Kevin, I chased you for a while, so you served an an inspiration for someone to get better (and I still have so far to go).

Thanks Dan, I am not just letting Brad run over me, I am not going to be that easy and he know's it.

Plenty of "beat" officers eventually earn "M" and "GM" and then go on to assignments like training, etc., where their talents are better utilized. Others still fit the definition of "LEOs" even if they are not with local departments, and are not what routinely are thought of as "cops." They are still LEO officers - to me at least. If they are allowed into the club, then consider:

Phil Strader,

Ernest Langdon,

Eric Lund,

Scott Warren,

Ron Francisco, and

Todd Sindelar.

What about Bob Vogel?

While the folks named are outstanding shooters, what concerns me are the many officers who are under the mistaken impression that meeting the bare-minimum requirements of their department somehow makes them "experts" in the use of of firearms. The public certainly seems to believe every LEO = firearm expert.

Edited by Carlos

Thank you all for all the additions!

Please remember that this is a thread to celebrate those who carry the badge and can shoot with the best in our sport. Shooting skill criticisms do not belong in this thread, thank you. :)

Glad yours can shoot. We had a police officer who last night fired 5 times at a suspect from 10 yards and missed with all 5 rounds. Kind of scary unless you are one of the bad guys.

Easy to be critical if you've never been on the receiving end of shots fired. Remember what we do for sport is nowhere near as stressful as what they may encounter while working. Personal knowledge, having worn and continue to wear the badge for 36+ years.

I've been playing the games, being in the sport, and wearing the shield the same number of years. Never encountered stress at a match of any level, as when there have been incoming rounds, either when my life and/or the lives of others have been involved.

I know several of the above mentioned LEO's and I'm sure they will express the same sentiment; that the sport and work are to different worlds. I agree that the sport can make you a better shooter for work purposes, it is what you make it. There are many great training issues in competition with much to be learned, then transferred to tactical enviroments. But it is still playing without incoming.

I don't know of any shooter that has not had a miss at some point while at a match...sometimes several in the same match. While no one was trying to kill them or someone else.

Paul,

You forgot to add your name to the list. Master x 4.

You sure those guys listed above are all actually cops? (I'm not talking about reserve or junior explorer deputies or whatever....I'm talking about real full-time working law enforcement guys.)

Two real full-time Iowa cops who can shoot: Doug Carden and Dwight Stearns.

I reserve and bust my ass to put in the required time my dept required in order to keep my commission. I also have more accredited training hours than probably 75% of the cops in my state.

You ask one of those "real" full-time working law enforcement guys if theyd work for free and pay for all their gear and training.

See what they say.

Spent my time being shot at in SE Asia, So I know what it is like coming from all sides. The suspect in the local incident was not armed and shooting back.

Good for you.

That's not what this thread is about, so take it somewhere else.

You sure those guys listed above are all actually cops? (I'm not talking about reserve or junior explorer deputies or whatever....I'm talking about real full-time working law enforcement guys.)

I reserve and bust my ass to put in the required time my dept required in order to keep my commission. I also have more accredited training hours than probably 75% of the cops in my state.

You ask one of those "real" full-time working law enforcement guys if theyd work for free and pay for all their gear and training.

See what they say.

I started as a reserve in 1991. That's how a lot of guys get started in Texas and many of the smaller agencies would not be able to provide 24/7 coverage without reserves. Thanks for doing it! :cheers:

If I had a non-LE job, I'd still reserve to keep my commission and LE contacts.

See what they say.

Why would they want to do that?

Why would anyone want to do that?

See what they say.

Why would they want to do that?

Why would anyone want to do that?

Mike,

It is more intense than the Lions club, Jaycees, Rotary, ect.. It is also very self rewarding to make a difference in your community.