Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'll be back... In a wheelchair!

iain53

Hi everyone!

I started shooting IPSC in 2004, got very close to Master level, then dropped out of the sport. In 2007 I had a serious motorcycle wreck which left me paralyzed from the waist. I have returned to IPSC and have the pleasure of having my eldest daughter as my shooting buddy.

Needless to say, things are a bit more challenging now, but it is still a lot of fun. I tried doing things in a manual chair, and while possible, it is enough of a hassle to make things not so much fun so I switched to an electric scooter- now that's made things fun again!

I imagine there are a few vets who are dealing with disabilities in this forum, hopefully we can share ideas and experiences. I live in Canada, so the rules here are just a bit more restrictive <_<

but there's enough in common to overcome the small differences.

Iain

Press on regardless and NEVER give up. You are living life on you terms as you already know. By doing so you are teaching your daughter and those around you that you have not shriveled up and crawled into a hole but have grabbed life by the throat and told it what you expect from it. Seeing this will serve your daughter well throughout her life. Keep living and teaching!

Good on you,

Pat

yrs ago there was a guy who was in a chair, and it didnt stop him one bit, had his holster and mag pouches bolted to it, and away he went, on one stage i was elected to be his 'pusher' he looks me over and said 'you better be fast' hehehe couple yrs after that, he got his motorized chair and was hell on wheels, at the sectional match, the MD's even madethe cooper tunnel on one stage to fit him and his chair, I've always wondered whatever happend to him, a wonderful guy, with a great outlook on life, something all of us should stop and take note of.

Very cool! I applaud your attitude. I'd love to see some video when you get a chance.

How old is your daughter and what does she shoot?

She's turning 26 next month. Right now, she has just taken over my STI Edge. Prior to that, we had started on an XD9, then a Colt Government in .40. The prior was a poor fit when shooting- the grip changed too much. The Colt was a huge improvement, but it wasn't "legal" for Standard Division with a 10 round mag (Canadian rules; the law was written in response to a massacre of women at a College in Quebec. The shooter had large capacity mags and semi-auto firearms, so mags are restricted to 10 rounds. Nobody in government is adept at mag changes) :lol: