Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 super load

stevenorlando

There are volumes of data on this in the reloading portion of this site, but my 38 SC load is 10.1g 3N38 with WSR primers and Montana Gold 121 IFP out to 1.240 OAL.

Volumes of loads on the site. Hear are a couple of my loads. Which one is best for you depends on the comp you have etc.

AA#7 10.5gr w/125gr JHP Zero WSP set 1.240

N350 8.0gr w/125gr JHP Zero WSP Set 1.240

8.3gr TruBlue w/125gr JHP Zero WSP Set 1.240

8.5gr Silhouette w/125gr JHP Zero WSP Set 1.240

7.3gr IMR7625 W/125gr JHP Zero WSP Set 1.240

7.8gr 3N37 w/125gr JHP Zero WSP Set 1.240

8.8gr HS6 w/125gr JHP Zero WSP Set 1.240

10gr N105 w/125gr JHP Zero WSP Set 1.240

I've also used IMR4756, AutoComp but don't recall the loads.

I have not tried LongShot, HS7, or 3N38, yet. I have always wanted to try Blue Dot it smells so good.

Looking at the first port wall in the comp if it is leaning forward go for the powder with more grains to make the load aka more gas if the wall is perpendicular to the path of the bullet then you can use a faster powder. Poppel holes can negate logic.

Volumes of loads on the site. Hear are a couple of my loads. Which one is best for you depends on the comp you have etc.

I have not tried LongShot, HS7, or 3N38, yet. I have always wanted to try Blue Dot it smells so good.

Looking at the first port wall in the comp if it is leaning forward go for the powder with more grains to make the load aka more gas if the wall is perpendicular to the path of the bullet then you can use a faster powder. Poppel holes can negate logic.

Hey Coco,

Nice loads! Out of all of these, what is your favorite and why? Thanks

This is a bit older data, but it's still good:

http://www.k8nd.com/documents/hl38sup.pdf

Edit to add: Most folks are probably running a 125gr Zero or Montana Gold. 115 and 121gr bullets almost certainly make up the bulk of the rest (mostly the same two companies). Yes, there are folks running heavier bullets, but it's not common.

As far as powder goes, 7625 is about the fastest you'll see used and N105 is about the slowest. There are a lot of powders in between that work well. Do a search and you'll find more reading than you can imagine.

Also, I have no idea in the world where Coco came up with the idea of the first port wall being angled, and which powder it will work better with, but it's completely untrue in my experience with a bunch of different gun/comp combinations. I have four Open guns now, they all have vertical first port walls and they all shot softer and faster with slower powders. I've also tried my ammo in a number of other guns to compare with what the owners were using, and it's held true so far...angled, vertical, no holes, popple holes, hybrid holes...same thing.

Edited by G-ManBart

Hey Coco,

Nice loads! Out of all of these, what is your favorite and why? Thanks

AA#7 10.5gr w/125gr @1.240 because it works with my system (aka Gun) fits my lack of style. I make pf at 10gr / 169pf at 10.2 but the magic happens at 10.5 (175 pf) in my Bedell Comped gun with one poppel hole. Its dirty, cheap and works well. Will it work for your gun, maybe.

My pet load, WSR primer, 8.3 grains Longshot, Montana Gold 121 seated to 1.250. My gun is an older gun, four chamber/8 port comp and no extra holes in the barrel. As others have said, there is so much information on this site about the loads it would take days to go through them all. Searchfu is your friend. :cheers:

Joe W.

9.3gr of Vectan SP2 with either Win 38Super +P or Armscor brass, Wolf SR primer, and either a MG 124 CMJ or Zero 125JHP make major quiet easily. However, this load has universally been acclaimed as the "most brutal" load ever felt by a bunch of RO's. :wacko:

9.3gr of Vectan SP2 with either Win 38Super +P or Armscor brass, Wolf SR primer, and either a MG 124 CMJ or Zero 125JHP make major quiet easily. However, this load has universally been acclaimed as the "most brutal" load ever felt by a bunch of RO's. :wacko:

The only one I feel is worse is 10.5 of SP2 and a 115 out of a Super/Comp indoors or under a covered shooting area. That just makes my teeth hurt thinking about it.

Joe W

The only one I feel is worse is 10.5 of SP2 and a 115 out of a Super/Comp indoors or under a covered shooting area. That just makes my teeth hurt thinking about it.

Joe W

OOOOOWWWW!!!!Yeah, that one would rattle your teeth! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

OOOOOWWWW!!!!Yeah, that one would rattle your teeth! :blink:

Pretty much. With practice you learn how to close off your inner ear and with plugs and muffs on it isn't as bad as it could be. :(

Joe W.

Sp2 10.2g aol 1.250 124 montana round nose 167pf

or 3n38 same as above

this is on Eaa Goldteam open V12 with 12 popple holes!

Yeah it does RATTLE YOUR TEETH! especially felt by RO's

OOOOOWWWW!!!!Yeah, that one would rattle your teeth! blink.gif

Pretty much. With practice you learn how to close off your inner ear and with plugs and muffs on it isn't as bad as it could be. sad.gif

Joe W.

or 3n38 same as above

Hey I'd like to try some, can you bring a few pounds to the Nationals?

I had a V8 great gun but too much blast in the face shooter and RO.

Have you seen any issues with the WSP primers?

Have you seen any issues with the WSP primers?

Getting them is the big issue. They work fine as do MagTech small pistol, cci small pistol. I use CCI when I can get them which as you may have heard has been tough. Things are getting better, Grafs has them. You can also use the small rifle but it would mask pressure signs you need to see. Federal small pistol are too soft for open guns I don't use them, except in minor on guns with very weak main springs aka CZ with 13# main spring. You can cut the charge a bit if you use magnum primers.

OOOOOWWWW!!!!Yeah, that one would rattle your teeth! blink.gif

Pretty much. With practice you learn how to close off your inner ear and with plugs and muffs on it isn't as bad as it could be. sad.gif

Joe W.

or 3n38 same as above

Hey I'd like to try some, can you bring a few pounds to the Nationals?

I had a V8 great gun but too much blast in the face shooter and RO.

Coco,

I only have 4 lbs left of sp2 and saving for big matches.

I had a slot at the nationals but gave it up coz

of Medical school. Vit 3n38 is so..close to the load

I can't tell the difference? Excellent consistency of dot movement!

I also tried N350 and Autocomp but nothing close.

Dot tracking is unpredictable.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

I'm at 7.3grns of IMR 7625 behind a 124grn JHP from MG. I am shooting a STI TruBor Don't know what the exact PF is but I do know it's over 165!

You really should chrono it before you just go using someones data for 7625. I have three different lots in my house right now and they are all varied for a 170 pf from 7.1 grains to 7.9 all in a 5.5 inch barrel with no popple holes.

Right now my load is VVN350 7.9 grains 124 mg jhp @ 1.243oal. Not as soft as the 7625 but a little more predictable dot movement. 7625 is probably the cleanest powder I have ever used in my open gun but the 350 is pretty clean as well.

Edited by BBoyle

I've tried a lot of different combinations in my Bedell "Shorty" and keep going back to 8 grains of VV N-350, behind a Zero 125 grain JHP. The closest other combination I found that I liked was something like 10 grains of N-105, but, the case was so full, it was a PITA to load.