Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GSG-1911 .22LR Report

iggyort

I bought a GSG-1911 to use with my Rimfire Action League and to practice for S.S.

I have both a Dan Wesson Pointman and a Kimber Target II and the GSG-1911 feels like a .45ACP 1911. The trigger breaks about 7.5 Pounds

Observations:

The first thing I noticed about the GSG-1911 is that it has a Magazine Safety . I realize that the Magazine Safety was probably a "Law Department " requirement but I find it a bit annoying. I will keep the safety on for now but eventually I will disable it.

I am left handed and I find the ambidextrous safety a bit comfortable for a Left handed shooter but quite easy to operate if you are a right handed shooter. Regardless, the safety has a solid lock and feel to it.

The Rear Sight is adjustable and the gun is provided with three front post to lower or raise your POI.

The finish on the Gun reminds me of a "GI Model " 1911 from Springfield Armory. The fit and finish are good for the money.

Possible Modifications:

Replace the original sights with Dawson Precision 1911 Sights with a F/O front sight like I use for USPSA Matches. This will provide me with the same sight picture on all my 1911s

Install a Magwell. This modification will accomplish three things

a- The Gun will fill bit heavier and morel like my .45ACP 1911

b- I will be able to feed the Gun like my Dan Wesson (Muscle Memory )

c- The installation of a Magwell will disable the Magazine Safety .

Range Report:

I shot the GSG-1911 last night. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring a camera to record the groupings and the target was thrown out. The Gun is reasonably accurate at 15 Yards with 5 shot groupings the size of a Half Dollar using .22LR Wolf Match Target Ammo

Good Points:

The manual states that 80% of the parts are interchangeable with a centerfire 1911

Slide Hold Open on Last Shot

Feels like a regular 1911

Blade -Teck Holster and Fobis Magazine holders work with the gun

Accuracy is pretty good.

Feeds great and very reliable with Solid Nose Ammo- ( I did not have any Hollow- Point Ammo with me )

Bad Points:

The Grip Safety is too small and must totally squeezed for the Gun to fire (Possible Modification )

The Sights are cheap but functional , could be better ( Possible Modification )

The Magazine must be totally seated or the gun will not fired (Possible Modification )

The trigger pull could be lighter ( Possible Modification )

Conclusion :

I am happy with the purchase .The GSG-1911 has lots of potential as a :

Training aid to teach someone how to shoot a 1911

It's fun to shoot as a plinker

Great gun for Action Rimfire

• 2 weeks later...

I fired 150 rounds of Federal Target ammo through my GSG 1911 yesterday. I trully hope that either the feel will improve after a break-in period, or there will be some instruction on how to mod a few things, since it is supposed to be a 1911, after all.

1. At 10 yards, the gun shot very accurately, but about 1" off bullseye at 2 o'clock.

2. As OP had mentioned, grip safety must be fully engaged. I have small hands, and was unable to keep my righ-hand thumb on top of the thumb safety, so it had to go below it. I really dislike that. I'm used to shooting my STI Trojan with thumb riding the safety, not being below it. The thumb safety itself doesn't have a smooth feel to it, like on my Trojan.

3. The trigger has just a bit of pre-travel. That's OK by itself - a Wilson Combat it ain't - but it feels gritty. The so-called 'guaranteed' 5lb trigger pull? Mine felt heavier than that. I hope the trigger will improve after break-in though.

4. The last round loaded into the mag would not always align itself with the mag lips. I had to jiggle the mag spring a couple of times to make it align. When I didn't the round would fail to chamber.

5. On several occasions the gun would not fire. Pressing the trigger felt as if the grip safety was ON. Readjusting grip made no difference, I had to eject the round to clear the malfunction - whatever it is...

I am hoping for some improvements after a break-in. However, I suspect there may be something wrong with my gun: I've seen some very enthusiastic reports - including those about how great the trigger felt. Sadly, this wasn't my experience.

• 8 months later...

Possible Modifications:

Replace the original sights with Dawson Precision 1911 Sights with a F/O front sight like I use for USPSA Matches. This will provide me with the same sight picture on all my 1911s

We have one in house right now to design front sights for. :cheers:

-Chet

Possible Modifications:

We have one in house right now to design front sights for. :cheers:

-Chet

Please make it tall, like .220" or so. Anything under .200" makes using an adjustable rear sight impossible, the gun still shoots too high.

I got a couple of thoses

1st off the manual is wrong 80 percent of the parts do not interchange, maybe 20 percent

so far the only parts that may work are the mainspring, mainspring housing, sear spring,grips and a few of the pins.

the internals look like 1911 parts but are just a bit different. the sear pin is smaller and a standard 1911 hammer is too wide to fit in the frame

removing the mag safety solves most of the problems with the grip safety

on the plus side, the gun runs flawlessly, I've put every kind of 22 ammo I had, and just plain runs.

Dawson, that's great news on the front sight, do you have a replacement for the rear?

the cheap plastic sight it come with are kinda cheesy

The slide has Novak cuts. I put on standard Dawson fixed rear and a. .190t X .100w fiberoptic on mine. Shoots perfect. Slide is aluminum, so use caution when fitting. (Do not use a big hammer to make them fit)

I got mine! What a wonderful little .22. Sights are very cheap and mine shot high, which seems to be the norm. I put the tall front sight on and that fixed that. The right side thumb safety really cut into my thumb and made it darn neer impossible to keep the grip safety engaged.

I got out my STI and studied the safety. I then dremeled the GSG safety into that shape. SO MUCH better now. Grip safety was still a problem, but better. I played around with it and decided to disable the thing. I left the sear spring alone, instead I ground off the tab that stops the trigger bow. This way the grip safety isn't wobbling around loose.

My mods where very easy to complete

Too bad they felt the need to tattoo the side of the gun with every possible piece of information they could thing of. How much of that stuff is engraved?

I really hate it when a manufacturer to puts "RTFM" on the side of the gun. Actually, I'd much prefer RTFM to "Please read the manual, it's good for you and we spent so much time putting it together. Our technical writer has self esteem issues and would be really hurt if you didn't."

Edit:

Interesting note - The german version is way cleaner in the roll mark department and appears to have one less screw next to the slide lock on the right side of the gun:

http://www.gsg-waffen.de/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=61&Itemid=99〈=en

Edited by blind bat

Got to fire a few rounds out of a GSG1911; they are not bad at all. Felt pretty much like a real 1911. When shooting it I was subconciousl expecting the bark and recoil of a .45 and got the mousefart of a .22 :roflol:

these things seem to be going for pretty much the same (around $330 or so) as a Marvel Adjustable Sight.22lr conversion kit. not trying to badmouth the GSG, but the jackass contrarian question which comes to mind is if I already have a 1911 with a good magwell and nice crisp trigger, blended high grip safety, thumb safety which already fits you well, etc.. why not keep those features and just swap top ends with the marvel kit (which comes with decent adjustable sights out of the box)? Now if you don't already have a 1911 that you're happy with, then the GSG 1911 looks like a good affordable .22lr government model styled plinker. I'm just not sure why I would buy one of these if I did already have a centerfire 1911... honest question, not just trying to rain on the parade :devil:

Well, because......it's a gun....... Isn't that reason enough?

Seriously, though, why switch out top ends? I have a dedicated Marvel/racegun. The Marvel is a great product, but if you don't already own one (over $400, I think) then this GSG is a good option for a lot of guys.

Plus, as inexpensive as they currently are, you can do a lot to it by yourself if so inclined. And, maybe not feel so bad if you muck it up.

I've already deactivated the grip safety and dremeled the thumb safety to a more comfortable profile. Plus, removed the mag safety.

As a comparison, my $2,000 Marvel racegun is a little finicky when it comes to ammo. The GSG is eating everything I feed it. The thing just runs!!!! I am currently overjoyed that I have not cleaned it, and it is well over 700 rounds. I'll repost round count that finally makes it a pita to shoot before cleaning. I have to clean the Marvel anywhere between 200-250 rounds. If not, bang, click, rack, click, jam, bang. So far the GSG is an inexpensive gun that runs and is fun!! IMHO

Can anybody compare it to a Kimber Rimfire Target? My buddy has one of those and it is pretty cool. Also has anyone touched up the trigger? 8 lb. is unacceptable to me.

Yes, an 8# trigger or anything much over 3# is unacceptable in a .22 pistol.

I'm not sold on them yet. I don't know how accurate they are and how much work and money (new sights, trigger job, etc) I want to put into one.

Buying one cheap and then spending money on upgrades....well, let's just say I have a Norinco 1911 I've got over 2k in. :surprise:

I'd rather buy a M41 Smith and never have to worry about upgrades and trigger jobs. Learned my lesson

the frames steel, basic 1911 dust cover, not thick like the sti's,

but it's a 22, how much stress is a c-more going to put on it compared to a super.

it also has a threaded barrel for a fake can, I wishing someone would make a comp for it.

I did a trigger job on one of mine, although the parts are not true 1911 specs, it close enough, I used a powers number 1 jig, and one of the smaller pins in the adapter fit the sear.

I got it just under 4 lbs, the only part I replaced was the sear spring

I possibly could have gone lighter, but this gun is used to train new shooters

I didn't try the disconnector, but the hammer and sear are proprietary, after a few thousand rounds, I check for wear