Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

one lucky idiot, need to undo about 500 rounds..

bzt

@ bzt, WOW! Glad to know you and your pistol are okay! You said you got ta dillon scale? Well if this helps I use a Cabela's model xt1500 for about 90 bucks after tax's, it so far works well, very sensitive can't have a fan blowing on it or it will fluctuate the measurement.. WOW!! I'm still shocked to read that you double loaded and your still able to come up with this topic! Gad your okay would have sukd to blow up your gun! I second that taking it to a gun smith and get your weapon checked out! Thanks for your post cause I am a newbee too....

@ you pro's, was mentioned that your primers show signs does any one have any picture's of your primers showing signs of high pressure and or double loads? Also would the crimp add or make this pressure?

Marki, there are lots of pics of over pressure primers on the forum, the search function is your friend....

Here is one.... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42786&hl=overpressure&st=25

http://www.reloadbench.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001475.html

@ Grumpy1 thanks for the links, what ddes it mean when some of the primers metal looks as if it was re seated and there is signs of ware on the outer part of the ring of the primer I don't see no signs of pressure where the hammer hits in the center? Imma try to send a picture

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ bzt, WOW! Glad to know you and your pistol are okay! You said you got ta dillon scale? Well if this helps I use a Cabela's model xt1500 for about 90 bucks after tax's, it so far works well, very sensitive can't have a fan blowing on it or it will fluctuate the measurement.. WOW!! I'm still shocked to read that you double loaded and your still able to come up with this topic! Gad your okay would have sukd to blow up your gun! I second that taking it to a gun smith and get your weapon checked out! Thanks for your post cause I am a newbee too....

@ you pro's, was mentioned that your primers show signs does any one have any picture's of your primers showing signs of high pressure and or double loads? Also would the crimp add or make this pressure?

Marki, there are lots of pics of over pressure primers on the forum, the search function is your friend....

Here is one.... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42786&hl=overpressure&st=25

http://www.reloadbench.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001475.html

@ Grumpy1 thanks for the links, what ddes it mean when some of the primers metal looks as if it was re seated and there is signs of ware on the outer part of the ring of the primer I don't see no signs of pressure where the hammer hits in the center? Imma try to send a picture

Because I've heard this (weighing in Grams instead of Grains) twice now, I'm working on a page of scale info that I am going to include with each scale.

He's a rough first draft...

IMPORTANT: The scale, out of the box, weighs in Grams. To weigh gun powder, you must push the "Unit" button (5 times) until the scale displays "gn" (Grains).

Note: This model scale comes with one, 100 Gram, calibration weight (even though the packaging has a space for an additional weight).

Correct way to adjust a Powder Measure to dispense a specific amount of powder: Set the Powder Pan on the scale and push the "Zero" button. Remove the pan from the scale, pour the powder in it, then reuturn the pan and powder to the scale. Wait for the scale to settle, then immediately remove the pan / powder from the scale.

Incorrect way to adjust a Powder Measure to dispense a specific amount of powder: Set the Powder Pan on the scale and push the "Zero" button. Then leave the pan on the scale and pour powder into it.

If the scale does not perform consistently - replace the batteries, then run the calibration procedure (which is in the back of the scale's manual).

That will fix 99.5% of all "wandering" problems. If the scale still wanders a bit after replacing the batteries and re-calibrating, running the calibration procedure a second time will almost always restore consistent operation.

Occasionally, instead of settling on one number, the display will alternate back and forth between two numbers. This is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Powder Measure Adjusting Tip

Weigh one charge at a time until you are very close to your final Powder Measure adjustment. Then weigh ten charges at a time to make your final adjustment(s) on the Powder Measure.

Because I've heard this (weighing in Grams instead of Grains) twice now, I'm working on a page of scale info that I am going to include with each scale.

He's a rough first draft...

IMPORTANT: The scale, out of the box, weighs in Grams. To weigh gun powder, you must push the "Unit" button (5 times) until the scale displays "gn" (Grains).

Note: This model scale comes with one, 100 Gram, calibration weight (even though the packaging has a space for an additional weight).

Correct way to adjust a Powder Measure to dispense a specific amount of powder: Set the Powder Pan on the scale and push the "Zero" button. Remove the pan from the scale, pour the powder in it, then reuturn the pan and powder to the scale. Wait for the scale to settle, then immediately remove the pan / powder from the scale.

Incorrect way to adjust a Powder Measure to dispense a specific amount of powder: Set the Powder Pan on the scale and push the "Zero" button. Then leave the pan on the scale and pour powder into it.

If the scale does not perform consistently - replace the batteries, then run the calibration procedure (which is in the back of the scale's manual).

That will fix 99.5% of all "wandering" problems. If the scale still wanders a bit after replacing the batteries and re-calibrating, running the calibration procedure a second time will almost always restore consistent operation.

Occasionally, instead of settling on one number, the display will alternate back and forth between two numbers. This is normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Powder Measure Adjusting Tip

Weigh one charge at a time until you are very close to your final Powder Measure adjustment. Then weigh ten charges at a time to make your final adjustment(s) on the Powder Measure.

You forgot one important thing, Brian. PAY ATTENTION!

You for got one thing too,Grumpy. "READ YOUR MANUAL!" (Like your always telling me.) Lol..

That is part of paying attention. How can you pay attention, if you don't know what to pay attention to?

(Just took my cool guy sunglasses off!) Grump your Kung Fu is to strong for me, Masta! Lol...

You for got one thing too,Grumpy. "READ YOUR MANUAL!" (Like your always telling me.) Lol..

That is part of paying attention. How can you pay attention, if you don't know what to pay attention to?

(Just took my cool guy sunglasses off!) Grump your Kung Fu is to strong for me, Masta! Lol...

Kung Fu is for westerners....My Wu Shu.....There are no masters, only those further down the path......

Wow!!! Didn't you say in your original post that you shot almost 1500 of those little pipe bombs through that blaster??? :surprise: It's pretty impressive that there was enough gas and back pressure that you could blow the mag apart but the case didn't rupture. That is one tough gun. I bet 130pf bunny fart rounds are going to feel like squibs.

Seriously, you need spend $100 and pick up a chrono... Even if you don't compete in major matches it's a great sanity check to make sure you are loading consistent rounds from batch-to-batch.

it is Grump Fu.

and yes he is The Master.

It's been bugging me that you could blow mags apart without rupturing the case. I'm no 92 expert but I'm pretty sure gas must be venting around the chamber especially if the brass is still in good shape. The cases should be bulged, primers mutilated and the head stamps flattened with that much pressure. I can't imagine the gasses venting from the chamber when a round is extracted could pressurize the magazine enough to damage it. Please, please, please have a good gunsmith take a look at that thing and make sure you tell him what it's been through.

Edited by blind bat

Stricly speaking, if you are paying attention to something - that indicates a lack of total attention.

Neither subject nor object remain in the ultimate state of attention, which is just the keen quality of knowing.

be

Can you elaborate? I've been doing it wrong.

Edited by sperman

Get a kinetic puller and an old oak stump, that's one way to pull them. Someone once said, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger....You'll be a stronger reloader now, more diligent in your practices. But, I would still be wary of your gun. With those charges you ran through it, I would be amazed if the slide or barrel wasn't cracked. I would take it in to have it looked at, with a magnifying glass. At the very least, change your recoil spring....I'm sure it and the slide have taken quite a battering under those loads.

It would be a good idea to have the barrel and slide checked with a magnaflux. It will reveal cracks not visible to the naked eye. (I'm not sure how it will do on a slide that is parkerized or has similar coatings.)

it is Grump Fu.

and yes he is The Master.

No, I am but a humble student.

Stricly speaking, if you are paying attention to something - that indicates a lack of total attention.

Neither subject nor object remain in the ultimate state of attention, which is just the keen quality of knowing.

be

Brian, I think the key word there is "total". You can pay attention to many things at nearly the same time (notice I did not say total attention), but not all at once. Sometimes, your total attention is not needed, as long as it is on the periphery of your attention. Alot like driving a car and listening to the radio. By paying total attention to either one, you disregard the other, which it is no big thing to disregard the radio while driving, but to disregard driving while listening to the radio, well, we know what happens then. If you pay total attention to your speed, then you won't see the car in front of you. If you pay total attention to your gas gauge, then you won't notice your speed, etc. I'm probably way off base, but sometimes, it is not good to pay too much total attention to any one thing.

To put this in an analogy like the above, the keen quality of knowing, take driving the car. You may know how fast you are going, without looking at the odometer, but without some input, be it visual (trees, or lines in the road whizzing by), or physical (the wind through your fingers, the whistling sound of the antennae), you would not be able to know, therefore, your total attention could not have been focused on the speed of the vehicle, as it would have also had to have been focused on the other inputs, in order for you to know your speed.

Blind fold and put ear plugs to (I hate to type this as it is almost blasphemous!) a Zen master, throw him in the trunk of the car, drive him around for hours, will he "know" where he is? Will he "know" how fast he got there? He will "know" that he is still alive, he is still on the earth, he may even know what turns were made, and how many potholes were run over, but he still won't "know" where he is physically. He may have reached total enlightenment spiritually, but we live in a physical world, where nothing is known without input, which requires attention to many things at one time.

Final Version...

Electronic Scale Tips

IMPORTANT: Out of the box, the scale weighs in Grams ("g"). To weigh gunpowder, push the "Unit" button (5 times) until the scale displays "gn" (Grains).

Note: This scale comes with one, 100 Gram calibration weight, even though the packaging has a space for an additional weight.

The scale will read more consistently if placed on its pad (included). It eliminates "mini-vibrations" (AC unit, music, etc.) from afffecting the scale.

Correct Way Weigh Powder

Set the Powder Pan on the scale and push "Zero". Remove the pan, pour in the powder, then place the pan/powder on the center of the scale. Wait for the scale to settle, then immediately remove the pan/powder from the scale. (Don't leave it on the scale forever.)

Incorrect Way to Weigh Powder

Set the Powder Pan on the scale and push "Zero". Then pour powder in the pan while it is on the scale.

If the displayed value "wanders", either at zero or with a weight on the scale, it usually means that the scale is out of calibration. Replace the batteries and recalibrate.

That will restore consistent operation 99.5% of the time. If the scale still wanders after replacing the batteries and re-calibrating, recalibrate it again.

Powder grains or dust in the load cell can cause unstable readings, and recalibrating will not help. With a can of compressed air, GENTLY blow any powder grains or dust out from under the weighing platform. Holding the scale upside down while cleaning can be helpful, but DO NOT shake the scale. And DO NOT try to remove the weighing platform.

Tip for Loadng Pistol Ammunition

Weigh one charge at a time until you are close to making the Powder Measure's final adjustment. Then weigh ten charges to make the Powder Measure's final adjustment.

The Advantage of Dialing in a Powder Measure with the "Weigh 10 Charges" Method

It eliminates guesswork created by slight differences in individual charge weights. Dillon's Powder Measure throws consistent powder charges. Slight differences in individual charge weights, reported by the highly sensitive scale, do not matter in the real world of performance.

Please read (and keep) the scale's manual before operating the scale.

If you are New to Reloading

While reloading, please remember to pay attention at all times.

If you are an Experienced Reloader

While reloading, please remember to pay attention at all times.

Thank you,

Brian

Edited by benos
made a few tweaks

Well to be honest.. I never checked my brass carefully. And I did order a CED chrono Friday from midway.

Also, I am happy that my stupidity will end up helping other newbs like myself. If I had those directions, I wouldnt have done what I did.

And yes, I have at least 1k rounds thru my Beretta 92 Elite II. Only bad thing that ever happened was blowing the ends off 3 magazines. I took it to a gunsmith and it shows no cracks or anything. It looks as good as new. YAY! Beretta.. wonder what a glock would have done in the same situation :devil: