Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unique, MG124, Minor, G17L

prc77

Looking for a good MINOR starting point for my G17L factory barrel with a 14lb. Wolff spring and guide rod. I will be using Unique powder, MG 124 RN's Fed, Rem or Win SPP's.

Thanks,

PRC

My manuals show 4.2 grains Unique under your bullet using a 1.140 OAL will be "close".

Check your Reloading Manuals to confirm. ;) You will need access to a

chronograph to verify the loads performance in your gun.

Looking for a good MINOR starting point for my G17L factory barrel with a 14lb. Wolff spring and guide rod. I will be using Unique powder, MG 124 RN's Fed, Rem or Win SPP's.

Thanks,

PRC

After you've tried a few, you might check to see that

Unique tends to be a dirty powder - leaves a lot of

residue - at least, I thought so. If you have any

other powders - you might try them also.

Thanks,

PRC

After you've tried a few, you might check to see that

Unique tends to be a dirty powder - leaves a lot of

residue - at least, I thought so. If you have any

other powders - you might try them also.

At the minor PF levels that gamers seek this is true. Far better choices.

It is as clean as any in the high velocity (+P) range. Back in the day

when Unique was truly a filthy propellant I used magnum pistol primers.

It helped some on the light loads.

I only have 13lbs of Unique, got a little crazy when powder was tougher to find. I'll look for some trades and sell an 8lb jug. I like Win 231

BTW how many rounds do you work up for the chrono.

I only have 13lbs of Unique, got a little crazy when powder was tougher to find. I'll look for some trades and sell an 8lb jug. I like Win 231

BTW how many rounds do you work up for the chrono.

A minimum of twenty rounds. Then add a tenth or two of fuel and repeat.

I've been playing a lot with the new Unique and find it to be very clean and an accurate powder. I'm using it in minor loads with my revolver and I don't have any unburned flakes under the star which was a major problem with the old Unique.

I can even shoot an entire match without having to swab out my cylinders. Loads just slide into the gun so keep up working with Unique and you will have a good experience.

I've been playing a lot with the new Unique and find it to be very clean and an accurate powder. I'm using it in minor loads with my revolver and I don't have any unburned flakes under the star which was a major problem with the old Unique.

I can even shoot an entire match without having to swab out my cylinders. Loads just slide into the gun so keep up working with Unique and you will have a good experience.

Agreed, also as Jman stated above I found even with the new Unique using Magnum primers and backing off your load a tad also cleans up the burn and seems to make the rounds more consistent. You got 13lbs so use it up and enjoy.

Sal

I've had good luck with Unique. Currently using 5.2 gr with Montana Gold 124gr CMJ with an OAL of 1.13. Gives me an average PF of 134.7 out of my G17. It isn't terribly dirty. I've read a lot of negative comments about this powder, but I have been very happy. I'm running PMC small pistol primers (lead free) (again, read negative comments, but have had great results so far) and range brass. I do a light cleaning every 400 - 600 rounds (about every 3 weeks), and I do a detail strip / clean about every 4000-5000 rounds.

I like the way it feels. I chrono out of my 17, but shoot my 34 in competition (This gives me all of the "safety" room I need to feel comfortable at the chrono stages at major matches). Paired with a 13# recoil spring, it has been a great set up.

My original chrono result for 15 shots was low FPS - 1027, High FPS 1112. Low PF 127.35, High PF 137.89.

I also use Unique in my 40 cal loads. I am just about to start loading for 45, and am going to try it for that as well...

With the 17L, back off several tenths and work your way up....

• 4 weeks later...

Got to chrono some loads today. 124gr Berry's plated, no MG's yet

Started with 5.2gr of Unique PF was 148. Pistol cycled fine.

Can I lower the charge by a tenth or 2 and try again?

Running a new 14lb. recoil spring also

The Berry's plated are not the bullet I will be shooting. Just a few that I borrowd to get an idea of where I should be.

I have MG 124's on the way. I assume I should wait on the MG's and chrono what I am actually going to use. :blink:

I have MG 124's on the way. I assume I should wait on the MG's and chrono what I am actually going to use. :blink:

Yes, definitely. I'm sure you will find the MG will run slower than the plated Berry's. The charge you are using now might work well with a real jacketed bullet. You can lower the charge some if you like for the Berry's, just not too much.

Unique is a good powder for mid to upper range loads. You will find as your charge get's lighter, the powder will leave more residue and unburnt flakes. You can run some pretty light loads with a 14lb. spring, but I wouldn't go too light with the Unique or weapon and bullet performance will likely suffer. Most bullets need a bit of zip to stabilize and achieve the best accuracy.

Get a faster powder if you want to load just a tad over power factor. I think you will find eventually though, you can and probably will be happier when you stop chasing the elusive bunny fart.

Yes, definitely. I'm sure you will find the MG will run slower than the plated Berry's. The charge you are using now might work well with a real jacketed bullet. You can lower the charge some if you like for the Berry's, just not too much.

Unique is a good powder for mid to upper range loads. You will find as your charge get's lighter, the powder will leave more residue and unburnt flakes. You can run some pretty light loads with a 14lb. spring, but I wouldn't go too light with the Unique or weapon and bullet performance will likely suffer. Most bullets need a bit of zip to stabilize and achieve the best accuracy.

Get a faster powder if you want to load just a tad over power factor. I think you will find eventually though, you can and probably will be happier when you stop chasing the elusive bunny fart.

Thanks, I will wait on the MG's and chrono again with the same charge.

I am no expert, and have only reloaded 400 rounds so far in my short career but I am using Unique powder and Berry Double Struck Plated bullets.

I shoot the 115 gr RN Berry bullets out of my Sig P226. I use 5 gr of Unique and my OAL is 1.154-ish. Not a single issue thus far. I find 5 gr is very mild on recoil and pretty accurate.

For what it is worth, at least I can tell you that 5 gr of Unique functions fine with 115 gr bullets.

• 1 month later...

This was the result of my last chrono attempt. Very flat results. I'm feeling a little lost at this point. My PF target is 130-135 :(

Powder--Unique

Bullets--MG124

OAL--1.50

Pistol-- Glock 17L

Chrono--Pro Chrono

3.8 gr 3.9 gr 4.0 gr 4.1 gr 4.2 gr

861 928 917 903 903

981 955 953 1013 991

975 981 986 963 977

942 981 971 983 984

951 947 1091 968 949

942 958.4 983.6 966 960.8

116.81 118.84 121.97 119.78 119.14

I tried unique in an xdm 9mm and after a hundred rounds the barrel and slide were so hot I couldnt hold it to shoot anymore. No pressure signs or any other problems. Never experienced that with other powders. Gave it up for 9 but use it for 45 with no problems.