Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 vs. 230

xcelr8n

I'm a Single Stack shooter. I've always shot my reloaded 200 gr LSWC. I've decided to spend a little more for jacketed bullets in an effort to leave some of the smoke behind. ;)

I'm looking at Montana Gold bullets and trying to decide between RN 200 and 230. I plan to use TiteGroup for powder with Winchester primers.

With both loads making the same power factor, which bullet weight would you shoot and why?

Thanks!

PS. If you are using TG and one of these bullets, I'd be interested in hearing your charge weight.

To me, this is something you have to test out for yourself. Some people like the recoil impulse of the 200’s, some like the 230’s. After that decision is made, you can fine tune by testing recoil/mainspring weights or a flat bottom firing pin stop or tungsten guide rod.

For me, I like jacketed bullets, but I can afford Poly/Moly’s. ( I’ve been using Bear Creek for years with great results). I’ll use Titegroup in the 45 acp but only if I’m out of WST.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I mainly shoot 40 limited, but when I was preparing for single stack nationals, I got out my 45acp and I loaded up some 200 grainers. I liked the 230 grain the best. I thought I would like the snappier feel of the 200 grainers, but there is a reason why most people shoot 230 grain. It has a soft push to it. I shoot bear creek moly bullets also.

Randy

I changed to BBI 230gr from Lead 200gr swc and have never regretted it. Reasonably clean even with titegroup. I feel that my front sight comes back on to target with the push of the 230's faster than it does with the snap of the lighter bullet.

230 gr Black Bullets over Clays powder. Accurate load the recoil is a nice soft push. I shoot the same load in all my 45s, Wilson & STI SSs and S&W 625 revolvers. Clean burning load just leaves a little soot on the revolvers.

I ordered a case of Montana Gold 230gr CMJ. They are more dough than LSWC or LRN but I'm looking forward to clean living... er... I mean, clean shooting!

Is this right? $170.00 per 1,000 for 230gr FMJ? Thats crazy. I just went to order a case myself and about fell out of my chair.

Booty

Edited by Booty

I ordered a case of Montana Gold 230gr CMJ. They are more dough than LSWC or LRN but I'm looking forward to clean living... er... I mean, clean shooting!

Is this right? $170.00 per 1,000 for 230gr FMJ? Thats crazy. I just went to order a case myself and about fell out of my chair.

Booty

It's $150/K if you order a case. R,

• 1 month later...

I normally shoot the 230gr bear creeks but I switched to the 200gr RN bear creeks because I wanted the faster cycling. After trying that for a few months I'm going to go back to the 230gr bullets. The 200gr solved my cycling issues but it wasn't worth the extra recoil. It was harder to make major with the powders I already had and the extra recoil demanded more from my grip.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only ammo Iv'e shot out of my 45 is 230 acp. How does the the 185 and 200 shoot. Does the gun perform well,w/ lower grain bullets. Just bought the sa 45 loaded about 4 mos ago.

BTT - would like to know also.

I've been shooting 230 mostly and I just ordered some 185's.

Edited by ChiefG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a Single Stack shooter. I've always shot my reloaded 200 gr LSWC. I've decided to spend a little more for jacketed bullets in an effort to leave some of the smoke behind. ;)

I'm looking at Montana Gold bullets and trying to decide between RN 200 and 230. I plan to use TiteGroup for powder with Winchester primers.

With both loads making the same power factor, which bullet weight would you shoot and why?

Thanks!

PS. If you are using TG and one of these bullets, I'd be interested in hearing your charge weight.

I'm shooting MGB 200 gr. JFP with 5.1 gr. TG and Winchester primers with a PF of 168 out of my Series 70 Govt. model. It is snappy though, it puts 2 fast aimed shots on a straight horizontal 1" line if I do my part.

Jack