Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Limited Gun

joshua

All these years of shooting 1911 I've learned how to do trigger jobs and fit parts for the 1911 except comps. I've been called a parts changer, but I think using the dremmel tool and a few jigs makes me think I'm more than that. This pistol I built using a Para 45 frame kit, S_I slide ordered witht he sight cuts and front serration, Wilson 40 match barrel with very tight bushing and non supported chamber - the recoil impulse is fast but the guide rod helps keeping it down on target. Bomar sights, S_I front sight converted to fiber optic (me likes green instead of red), DP aluminum magwell, stock Para plastic trigger modified, S_I hammer and sear, Tungsten guide rod, Wolffe 12 lb recoil spring. I did the checkering and stippling job. The trigger is 2.75 lb and it groups 1.5" at 25 yards with lead 168 pf loads, accuracy is better with the milder loads. Thanks to BE for letting me post my first completed pistol. josh 4.jpg3.jpg

Rhino and Merlin,

I have about 1.5 K rounds through the gun. Using a non supported barrel did give me some headaches in feeding semi-wadcutter and flat point bullets. The frame was for a 45 acp and not for 40 so that was wrong from the start, I did manage to shave just enough from the barrel's ramp and did some polishing on the frame and barrel ramp. It will feed semi wadcutter, round flat point, truncated cone flat point and of course the standard fmj, JHP, and truncated cone. I haven't found any full wadcutter bullets to try but I'm betting it won't feed those. Yes this is my actual first try doing the actual slide to frame fit and the barrel. It came out very nice because I have no play with the slide even when not at full lock up, and the barrel is fitted with a bank vault lock up. It has excellent accuracy. Thanks for checkin' out my limited blaster guys. josh

Ross Carter, I did get a set of stipplers from Brownell's but the one I used on the Para project was just a simple center punch from Home Depot. I can't wait to do another one, I like the square pattern stippler. My checkering still needs a little help, I'm still learning but my next one will be better if not beautiful.

Thanks guys. Yes the gun when the picture was taken is still in the white, I want to get the frame hardchrome but I'm afraid it might crack like my Caspian. So I'm looking for an alternative or a place to send it that knows not to make the metal brittle. I can say I built it all by myself. Long time ago I did have a gun built by someone claiming he knew how to build a 1911 and I watched him slaughter the frame, grip safety and the most horrendous trigger job I've ever seen. He gave me a gun that was shootable, but it almost discouraged me in owning a nice custom 1911, because of the cost of the beautiful parts that was ruined. I learned not to do what that guy did, but I did soak some of the more positive areas such as fitting the barrel. Kuhnhausen, Wilson and reading boards like this helps a lot too because you get immediate response, sometimes in as fast as 5 minutes. I need a mill and a lathe-then I can make my own comps and go to swiss cheesing the metal. What I consider most important when I was building this Para was I check and double check what I needed to do, and I took my time on everything. I tried so hard not to rush anything. Fitting the slide and frame - you'll need a good caliper and miker. Trigger job - I use a Power jig and good set of stones from Brownell's.

There are experts in BE and 1911.com willing to share their knowledge, and my hat's off to you guys (I'm bowing too). josh

NICE. If I was a Para fan, mine would be set up just like you did yours.

http://www.schuemann.com/

Scroll down the left side & click the link for "timing test kit" - lets you check the relationship of your barrel, frame cut, link, and slide. You likely have it correct already but this could set your mind at ease. Cost --> Free :)

i've been dreaming about the same kinda project with the the para "gunsmith" frame kit. where/how did you get yours? don't list them in brownells, and nobody i ask seems to know. looks like a great limited gun, and you sure can beat the $$$$ from STI and get more quality when you sweat over it yourself! i was dreaming about a .45 myself, but .40's supposed to be the way to go. this is bad.....i should have never seen this.......... :rolleyes:

I was told the frames were discontinued, but I'm sure there is some outfit out there that still has some lurking in the back storage. Post in the want ads, this is the perfect place to look for one. If you know what you're doing and getting into - Go for it, you only live once. josh