Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading when it's 113

AzShooter

Getting ready for a move so I know my Dillons will be down for a while I dicided to go in the garage today and load up the rest of my .38 cases in case I don't get a chance until after the move. I loaded up 500 yesterday and it was hot.

Today I loaded the remainder, about 1000 cases. Good thing I use a 650. At 113 it sure was not. No AC, no fan, just the open garage door. I wish my roomate woiuld let me put the presses innside but I know that's never going to happen.

At least the new house has and insulated garage and pleaty of ventilation and two fans over where my presses are going.

Now to drink pleanty of water and stay in the AC for the rests of the day.

Tonight there is a match and it will still be over 100 out in the desert but I have a chilly vest packed with ice to keep me cool.

i'm used to hearing people remind you to hydrate when you're shooting, this is the first time i've heard that warranted when you're reloading!!congrats on the move to new digs!

Ooh ya it's HOT...at least 110d.F. for several days. I've spent a couple hours the last 3 afternoons at the main range evaluating loads for my new Glock 10mm 20SF, but that's in the shade. I've given up shooting Cactus League Thursday-nite matches due to the heat. I guess I'm just too soft. :rolleyes:

I hate to gloat, but my reloading rig is in my homeoffice; sure is nice.

Edited by jeffreybehr

Yeah, its a scorcher out there today. My dogs don't even want to go for a walk. I'll pile on with Jeff in...uh... not pointing out that I just reloaded 600 rounds in my office/reloading room. I did have to turn the thermostat down a touch though to stay comfy if that helps any. :ph34r:

Sorry man. That has got too be rough. My buddy has a portable a/c unit in the garage for days like today.

At least when you sweat in the desert you get a bit of cooling effect. With the humidity down here in SE Texas, you just soak through your clothes and never cool down. Hot is hot, and I am not discrediting the heat you worked in...but I'd gladly trade your 113 degrees and low humidity for my 90 degrees and high humidity.

I cranked out a few hundred the other night out in my garage. I was sweating so bad that I had to make sure I wasn't dripping sweat into the cases. It's very therapeutic to sit out there, sweat out the day's evils and produce a product that will put a silly smile on your face.

Now, if only I could enjoy a cigar and some cold beer while cranking the handle... :cheers:

At least when you sweat in the desert you get a bit of cooling effect. With the humidity down here in SE Texas, you just soak through your clothes and never cool down. Hot is hot, and I am not discrediting the heat you worked in...but I'd gladly trade your 113 degrees and low humidity for my 90 degrees and high humidity.

I cranked out a few hundred the other night out in my garage. I was sweating so bad that I had to make sure I wasn't dripping sweat into the cases. It's very therapeutic to sit out there, sweat out the day's evils and produce a product that will put a silly smile on your face.

Now, if only I could enjoy a cigar and some cold beer while cranking the handle... :cheers:

Man someone has lied to you. I am from the hot humid south and I now live in AZ. I was born and raised in the south. I would take hot and humid over this oven heat of AZ any day. There is NO "cooling" effect here unless you go inside.

You guys are bunch of baby's. You need to man up. Jason you work out side you should be use to it!!

HA HA HA hot is hot I dont care where you live. I grow up in San Antonio and move to Phoenix both suck in the summer!!!

I hear people all the time say' yeah but its a dry heat'....yeah like convection oven dry heat...even your eyes get scratchy, an if i wore contacts id be concerned they would stick...

forthe longesttime my reloading set up wasthe only onethat was insidethe house, all of my friends's were relegated to the garage/shed....tho i learned my lesson with the shotgun loader its outside in the garage, yes ill suffer in the heat, but with a shotgun loader your GONNA spill somthing somtime....

You guys are bunch of baby's. You need to man up. Jason you work out side you should be use to it!!

HA HA HA hot is hot I dont care where you live. I grow up in San Antonio and move to Phoenix both suck in the summer!!!

But whining about the heat is what I do best. You know that!

It is hot in Phoenix. I have a swamp cooler in the garage where my press is. It helps a little. If its 110 outside, it can hold around 90 inside with just under 60% humidity. Not bad. But you guys with nothing in a garage, and its 110 outside, Your brains will get fried.

But its a dry Heat - Yeah I've been here 38 years and it never gets any better.

Not as hot here in Albuquerque. 97 two weeks ago and has cooled a bit recently. With a garage/shop that faces west it does warm up in the shop. Ordered a 12,000 btu refrigerated unit that rolls around. Have to punch a 6' hole in the garage door for the exhaust. Was going to put in a wall unit but it was going to be too involved... hole through the wall, sleeve,etc.. Now I'm working in relative comfort. :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

I HATE this kind of heat. In the northeast we had a 95 degree day today but with very low humidity. The rest of the week we get much more humidity. :( That is one reason I stock up on my reloads as much as I can in the cooler weather- do I don't have to sweat my nuts off during the summer!

Im sorry you guys live in places that have that kind of hot :mellow:

Wet and hot hurts me the worst

But that AZ oven heat :surprise: I have been there in 120, If I lived there I would only go outdoors after midnight.

It seems such a long time ago...we were all bitching about the COLD :roflol:

Jim

Hey all you AZ guys. A friend from your parts once told me your summer is like our(Ohio)winter. You don't go outside unless you have to in your three hottest months or so. I figured this would be your slow shooting season. Not so?

Either way you go reloading in the garage has to suck. I feel for you "garage loaders". I load in the basement in year round comfort. Sorry! :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

Insulate the garage door, seal the vents, get a 12,000 BTU AC unit and a good fan and your problem will be solved. That's what I did with my 2 car garage when I got into woodworking. I turned it on last week when I was going to start a new project when it was around 110 outside. It was 98 in the garage and it cooled down to 87 in around 3 hours which is very comfortable and what I set it to. The humidity in the garage is so low, it feels cooler in there compared to the house which is set at 80. I have a vertical wall unit but a portable one should work just fine and you could probably more it closer to you so you might not have to cool the entire garage.