Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody shoot 45 Colt?

wolf_river_mike

Was wondering if anybody shoots 45 Colt in IDPA? It doesn't seem to be a very popular caliber, at least I haven't read much about people shooting it. I'm fairly new to handguns and bought a S&W Mountain Gun in 45 Colt before I ever considered IDPA. Went to a local club match a few weeks ago and it really looked like a lot of fun. I am shooting 6 grns HP-38 and a 200 grn LRNFP. Haven't chronied the load yet but it should make the power floor... I think. Recoil feels like a pop gun, just curious of your thoughts. Am really enjoying the forum and look forward to learning from all of you in the future. Thanks -Mike

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont do any IDPA shooting, but I shoot a Colt XSE in .45acp for Single Stack in USPSA. I only wish i had adjustable sights on it. otherwise, it runs and shoots like a dream.

I "think" that a lot of guys who shoot ESR shoot .45 to make power floor.

Certainly there are a lot who shoot .45 ACP autoloaders. Count the number of people shooting CDP (.45 ACP) at last year's IDPA Nationals or at any other major match.

BTW... if you're new to IDPA, you might also want to check out idpaforum.

Here's one thread there where guys there are discussing .45 revolver loads.

Edited by Jane

he is shooting a 45 colt not a 45 ACP,,, if your gun is using speed loaders or loading by hand you would be in SSR and only need to make 125 pf, The guys shooting moonclipped 45ACP revolvers are in ESR and have to make 165 pf, as big as a 45 colt is it would be hard to get it to NOT make 125. Nothing wrong with shooting, It probably wont be the best tool for the job and would be a little costlier to load than a 38 or 38 short revolver, aftermarket things like speedloaders may be hard to come by but other than that run it till the barrel melts. and put great big giant holes in the cardboard

I shoot .45 Colt in both IDPA and USPSA. I use a Ruger Alaskan as my revolver of choice. Due to the weight restrictions I have to shoot ESR in IDPA, But do pretty well for myself. I use HKS Speedloaders, and have had little problem with them.

I do get almost all of my brass back, even at "lost brass" matches. :D

Oh, I run a 250gr LRNFP over 5.8gr Titegroup as my standard load, and it makes major power factor in USPSA with some room to spare. I never have to have the calibration checked on poppers, as I don't shoot the the "dainty" loads many others choose. :lol:

My memory might be incorrect but.. I think I saw a recent thread with a link to a shop that cuts cylinders for moon clips. Again... "I think I remember" seeing that they do conversions that allow use of moon clip .45 ACPs in a long Colt S&W. You can then use the long Colt in speed loaders & load individual rounds or use moon clips with .45 ACP ammo.

Anyone?

My memory might be incorrect but.. I think I saw a recent thread with a link to a shop that cuts cylinders for moon clips. Again... "I think I remember" seeing that they do conversions that allow use of moon clip .45 ACPs in a long Colt S&W. You can then use the long Colt in speed loaders & load individual rounds or use moon clips with .45 ACP ammo.

Anyone?

http://www.moonclips.com/content/example-machine-cylinder.htm

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/moonclip.htm

I shoot .45 Colt in both IDPA and USPSA. I use a Ruger Alaskan as my revolver of choice. Due to the weight restrictions I have to shoot ESR in IDPA, But do pretty well for myself. I use HKS Speedloaders, and have had little problem with them.

I do get almost all of my brass back, even at "lost brass" matches. :D

Oh, I run a 250gr LRNFP over 5.8gr Titegroup as my standard load, and it makes major power factor in USPSA with some room to spare. I never have to have the calibration checked on poppers, as I don't shoot the the "dainty" loads many others choose. :lol:

That's good to know Blueridge, what is the barrel length of your Alaskan? The first 500 rounds I shot out of my Smith were 255 grn LSWC and varying powder charges, I think up to 7.5 grms of Unique. A pretty good pop, but very managable.

The barrel length is 2 1/2", which is why I use the load I do. The never exceed powder charge in the hodgdon manual is 6.2gr Titegroup, and I have tried up to 6.0 grains in the past (I did not have a chrono, and wanted to make sure that I made major). After having the cylinder become nearly too hot to hold on a 32 round field course (about 24 rounds into it) I backed down the charge to avoid a repeat in future matches. :surprise: It did speed up my last two reloads, I must say. :lol:

The barrel length thet the Hodgdon Manual uses is 7 1/4" long, and with the 2 1/2" barrel that I use I lose approximately 167fps from the velocities that the manual shows for the same powder charge from my reloading tests with chronograph.

I don’t shoot colt 45 however I shoot 45 autorim in a S&W 625jm It is a rimmed case similar to the 45LC just shorter. I use SL Variant speed loaders for SSR and Icore Retro (also 45 colt compatible). I shoot a 185gn Montana gold JHP with 4.3gn of VV N310 136pf. I run 200gn LRNFP Missouri bullets with 4.5gn of nn310 for ESP moon clip loads. One gun 3 classes and fairly competitive. Best designed for ESR.

So if your thingking about shooting 45LC check out SL variant speedloaders. along with HKS

Mike,

There aren't a lot of 45 Colt revolvers in SSR, but I have seen a few.

That said, you've probably picked the right Division to get going in. The challenge will be finding good speedloaders/holders - HKS will work, but they're slower than the SL Variant or Safariland options. Round nose bullets will help no matter which loaders you chose. You'll want a very clean burning powder - 125000 PF is a reduced load for your cartridge and unburned powder residue is a real problem during on-the-clock reloads. Check out some of the SASS loadings to get you started. You'll only need 520 fps or so with a 250 gr bullet - I think Trail Boss will get you there safely and cleanly. I hear some USPSA GMs in FL run that in their 38 Special IDPA SSR loads, but that may just be urban legend.

As noted, you can have your cylinders cut for moonclips by TK Custom (Tom's a great guy) and run it in ESR, but the Mountain Gun will be a handful at 165000 PF.

The good news is you can call your score from 20 yd away.

Good Luck and welcome to SSR,

Craig

I'm a big Tightgroup fan.

It certainly burns cleanly, meters well, yields consistent velocities in it's working range and is a great value. I've burned quite a few 8 lb kegs over the years and am working on another, but I found it has two distinct disadvantages for IDPA revolver applications: 1) it runs much hotter than other powders designed for low charge weights - my revolver cylinders heat up more quickly than with other powders and 2) it generates quite a bright flash - my tritium front sight became one of many white spots in my field of view after firing my first round in low and no-light stages.

On-the-clock revolver reloads and/or flashlight stages are probably not an issue in CAS.

Edited by Bones

Thanks for all the good info guys. I do appreciate it. The HP-38 does run a little dirty shooting 200 grn bullets. I seemed to burn cleaner with 255 grn.

My cylinder ejects pretty clean though, I have one chamber that gets a little sticky after 2oo rounds or so. I thought I read the SL Variant was not being made anymore?

Ty, I never heard of the 45 autorim. The 45 Colt Schofield cartridge is a little shorter than the 45LC, I believe.

I'm a big Tightgroup fan.

It certainly burns cleanly, meters well, yields consistent velocities in it's working range and is a great value. I've burned quite a few 8 lb kegs over the years and am working on another, but I found it has two distinct disadvantages for IDPA revolver applications: 1) it runs much hotter than other powders designed for low charge weights - my revolver cylinders heat up more quickly than with other powders and 2) it generates quite a bright flash - my tritium front sight became one of many white spots in my field of view after firing my first round in low and no-light stages.

On-the-clock revolver reloads and/or flashlight stages are probably not an issue in CAS.

Good info. Thanks, Bones. :)

I agree that Titegroup runs hotter than other powders that I have used, but it is not until more than 18 rounds (the max that can be required in IDPA) that the cylinder actually gets noticably "hot" to me. That was only when I was loading 6.0 grains in my .45 Colt loads (6.2 being the "never exceed" load in the Hodgdon Manual).

As far as the muzzle flash, I cannot really comment much. I have not had the chance to shoot many low-light stages, but from shooting indoors in practice I have not seen the muzzle flash to be that bad.

Personally, and YMMV, I dont think TG has near the flash that other powders have. Using a flashlight during a NO-light stage, I couldnt see much smoke or flash. Having low smoke is more important of an issue to me than the low flash though. (shot in 9mm semi, not revolver though.) I do plan on testing some TG in my 625 45acp though.

Edited by DWFAN