Trying to decide on a 1911 for CC

Revopop

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I carry it IWB in an Andrews MacDaniel II as seen here. It's about as comfy as IWB can be, and it hides well under a baggy shirt. The steel reinforcement around the mouth is also nice, as it's pretty much impossible for the holster to collapse after the gun comes out. I've got one for my fullsize steel 1911, but I'll probably rarely ever use it now that I've got the Pro Carry. I also used this same holster for the CCO when I had it, and had no issues at all. The ones I have have the body shield, which is an absolute necessity with my love handles.

Edited by Revopop

• 5 months later...

Super hot weather (and low threat)- STI Rogue in a Bullard tuckable holster (uber cool little 9mm)

Dave

I actually found a new STI Rogue and was looking at holster options. That Bullard Tuckable is pretty slick! Thanks for the info!

Another vote for a smith and wesson scandium framed commander sized 1911. I have a Les Baer and a Nighthawk custom that I really like but find myself carrying the S&W a surprising amount just because of the weight.

• 2 months later...

In the spirit of this thread and in conjunction with one of the earlier suggestions to look at custom builds...

Who does a good custom carry build that doesn't cost an arm and a leg but still runs completely solid?

I currently carry a Glock 30 in a IWB Milt Sparks Versa Max II but compete in USPSA L-10 with a full size .45 1911 single stack. I'm interested in a light frame commander sized 1911 in .45 ACP to better replicate what I compete with and be better for concealed carry.

Why not an STI VIP? 25oz is as light as you can get with such capacity.

I ordered mine in .40 S&W :cheers: so I can use the same magazines and caliber I compite with. I am also planning in competing in ESP in IDPA. I will get it by mid-July.

Can someone recommend holsters for it?

I ordered mine in .40 S&W :cheers: so I can use the same magazines and caliber I compite with. I am also planning in competing in ESP in IDPA. I will get it by mid-July.

DVC,

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't looked at the double stacks, but this looks like an awesome option! I need to compare it to my glock 30 to see how the weights and dimensions compare. I really like the idea of carrying the same gun I compete with.

With regard to holsters, I'm a huge fan of the Milt Sparks Versa Max II for leather concealed carry.

Now considering the VIP, can anyone comment in how difficult it is to swap grips on the 2011? If I got a VIP for CC, I'd want to get a grip setup for Limited, L-10, and 3gun until I can afford a dedicated full size limited gun.

Thanks!

Changing grips on a 2011 is PITA.

You take off the slide, and pretty much everything out of the bottom end, and then hope you don't strip out the little allan-head screws that hold the grip, to the frame. :surprise:

You take off the slide, and pretty much everything out of the bottom end, and then hope you don't strip out the little allan-head screws that hold the grip, to the frame. :surprise:

Ok, rethinking that plan then. Will the shortened VIP grip take a magwell? How hard would that be to take on and off between CC and competition?

Ok, rethinking that plan then. Will the shortened VIP grip take a magwell? How hard would that be to take on and off between CC and competition?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to put a magwell on it

To remove the magwell, all you have to do is to push out the pin and pull the magwell off, and then push in the original, shorter pin. :cheers:

I carry the Talo Comander on the bottom, but I have carried them all on and off duty. I have many more, but the Talo is with me alot of the time. It is not comfortable to carry but it is comforting.

100_2439.jpg

That's a neat idea - maybe a cape, or some other, really long mag well to get you as much increased length as possible... (I don't need another gun, I don't need another gun...)

Most magwells out there are designed to work with STI's integral magwell, you know that little lip out front. The VIP has that part removed. I've never tried to put a magwell on mine though so I don't know.

Alessi will make you one as well as Tucker Gun leather. I asked Sparks and they said no.

Can anyone provide the slide width for the VIP? I'm trying yi compare it to my G30 which is currently a little larger than I would like my next CC to be. I know most traditional 1911s are slimmer, but with the VIP being doyle stacked I wanted to be sure.

Can anyone provide the slide width for the VIP? I'm trying yi compare it to my G30 which is currently a little larger than I would like my next CC to be. I know most traditional 1911s are slimmer, but with the VIP being doyle stacked I wanted to be sure.

STI uses a normal 1911 slide.