Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drilling "the Hole" In A Tungsten Guide Rod?

TDean

I just recieved EGW's new style "STI/SV" tungsten guide rod. It doesn't have a freak'n take-down hole!!

Do I really want to attempt to drill a hole in a tungsten guide rod?

Jeez! I suppose I could have ordered the two-piece model, but for strength, I wanted the one piece. I just kinda figured that the thing would have a hole since it's marketed as a STI/SV guide rod and lot's of us have bull barrels with reverse plugs.

Will I void the warranty by drilling a hole?

Will I cause a stressed area if I drill it?

What drill bit should I use, Titanium Nitride coated?

I don't suppose anyone has an easy method of installing/removing a guide rod assembly on a bull barreled, reversed plugged, no hole in the tungsten guide rod blaster. <_<

For 60 bucks, it better damn well come with a takedown hole in it!! In another thread, someone mentioned numerous drill bits to get 1/2 way through a TGR. Take a look at the Cominolli TGR:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...GSTEN+GUIDE+ROD

If that doesn't look good, then have a peak at Dawson's new tooless guide rod. http://www3.mailordercentral.com/shootings...sp?number=DP081

Just as I get back from the store with a few cobalt bits...... :huh:

I'm probably going to give it a try...but I'm not counting on breaking the surface.

All I want is .10 deep.

Eric, I thought about that but don't they usually break at the head?

Why would they remove a hole in the shaft? Maybe some do break there....

I'm hearing you guys on the diamond, but where the heck do I find something small enough. I did find a diamond dremel grinder but it was .250" dia.

I'm floating the idea of cutting a perpendicular slit with a carbide saw, maybe .125 deep. I could then fashion a piece of feeler-guage/shimstock with a right angle bend to fit into the groove. I wonder what would be worse structurally, a hole or a slit?

Super high-quality graphic below...

l O

Slit or hole, slit or hole...slit or hole!

Hmmmmmm...... <_<

Hey Tom...instead of messing with it (you don't HAVE to have it tomorrow)...why don't you wait until monday and call up George and see what he suggests?

Place the Dremel on the table and step slowly away from it! ;)

Eric, I thought about that but don't they usually break at the head?

Why would they remove a hole in the shaft? Maybe some do break there....

Tom,

Mine's never broke (knocks furiously on particle board). I think they break at the head, just because that's where all the leverage is focused. The only thing I would be worried about is putting a stress concentrator where there was none before. This really sounds like a job for a mill or a drill press to me. If *I* did it by hand, I'd probably put a hurkin' gouge in the rod for the spring to catch on.

Structurally, the hole will be better than the slit.

Let us know how it works out will ya? I'm probably going to be getting an EGW rod here too.

I have a tunsten guide rod and I ended up drilling a hole half way through. I forgot which size, but it sure is the smallest one in my drill bit set which is very common. A drill press does come in handy, but I don't think it's a must for that task. josh

I'm a very impatient person, I think that's why I IPSC so much. He who gets the job done bestest and fastest win'sest. That being said.....

I kinda do need it tomorrow. I sent my primary one to Benny so he could complete my new backup gun. I figured I could do without it for a couple months, hell, it's the off-season anyway. Then I got the urge to shoot....but I didn't want to re-train my senses using a lighter steel rod so I ordered one from Brownells.

The damn thing was out of stock, so I waited.....doo-daa-doo-daa-dooooo...

I finally get it and I'm just foaming at the mouth for some trigger time. Shit! no take down hole. Where's the f'ing dremel! :P

I think you're right Steve, I'm going to keep myself occupied until I habla to GEO.

....there is a IDPA thingy going on in Seattle today and there's a Sportsman's Show in Tacoma. Hell I could stay busy all day! B)

I despise one piece full length guide rods immensely and wouldn't have one with or without a hole ever again. Can't tell you how many plugs I've launched who knows where with them over the years. If you haven't already drilled it, I would definitely check with George on procedure and warranty issues.

I have been running George's (EGW) 2 piece tungsten rods for a couple of years in both my open & limited guns without problem and love them.

As long a they have a hole, there great. I suppose a 2-piece would be easier, but I just like the idea of "solidness".

I started to drill.....

It was easy at the start. The 1/16" cobalt bit started a perfect hole and continued for about .050" deep...then it stopped cutting. I tried a new bit, nothing. It's as if the outer surface is of a different hardness. I've since obtained a .080" carbide routing bit. That might do something. I'm thinking the next step would be to EDM it.

Ya-ya-ya :P

OK, it's done! It went effortlessly (ya right) finally with the carbide end mill.

You can get the end mill HERE..

Part # 8848A52

The diameter of end mill I used is 3/64" which is .046 (a paper clip is .040) so it's perfect. I used a drill press and a little oil. It went in like butt'a baby!