Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nova or Supernova?

Stlhead

Neither.....Winchester 1300.

Patrick

Patrick,

Why the Winchester 1300? Is there a difference between a "Speed Pump" and one not so marked?

I sqadded with J.J. Johnson at Blue Ridge and he was using the 1300, at your recommendation.

Crap! I just bought a Nova and now I got the wrong gun!

I know, I just got a Supernova. jtischauser, you going to start shooting HM? You usually shoot tac optics right?

I like to have guns for any occasion or division. I still need a 1911 and a 308 in order to shoot heavy metal. I found a used 24" Nova for $350 which I hope was a good deal. We will see how it looks when it arrives.

P.S. You can call me Jesse. Just remember its spelled without an "i". ;)

Edited by jtischauser

I would have gotten a Nova but the only thing I could find in 24" was one supernova for $459 so I bought it. It's been great so far, only about 150 rds, but I don't have any experience with the Nova to compare. I'll be using it at the Ozark match.

Neither.....Winchester 1300.

Patrick

Patrick,

Why the Winchester 1300? Is there a difference between a "Speed Pump" and one not so marked?

I sqadded with J.J. Johnson at Blue Ridge and he was using the 1300, at your recommendation.

No, no difference in the action. Not sure why they mark one Speed Sump and one not.

I have spent some time behind the 870 and the BPS and neither run as well for me as the 1300.

Mr. Swonson was kind enough to lend me his personal "tuned" Nova for 4 or 5 rounds of 5 stand.

I was not my cup 'o tea either. He on the other hand is rather good with it so it makes a fine choice too!

In my not so humble opinion the 1300 is the best handling, fastest, pumpgun on the planet.

My personal 1300 has been with me at every match over the last 5 years and has not

failed to operate nor has it broken a single bit or piece.

I perform only three changes to the gun.

I shoot a 22" rifled sight model.

I am a fool for fit so I install a high comb butt stock and fit it to me.

I sandpaper the shell loading area (I don't like my guns making ME bleed)

I cut shell latch back .060" so I can release the shell sooner during loading.

The last item I find the least useful, but did it initially to make-up for poor loading skills.

OK, you guys have my secret weapon and how to tune it. Keep on using your 870's PLEASE.

Patrick

I shot my 870 for a while, I shot my Nova for a while, and I shot my 1300 for awhile...Leaning toward the Nova...

I did several shoot 1, load 8, shoot 1 drills with Nova and 1300, and the Nova won consistently by about a second. I suspect it is because the 1300 has a much smaller loading port than the Nova, and I am quite the fumbler when hand loading...

Surprisingly, when I did several shoot 8 speed drills they also put the Nova slightly ahead, .75 to 1 full second.

That is just me thou. When shooting, pumping, loading, handling the 1300 I feel cramped, where the Nova just feels more natural to me. An 870 is ok as well but not as fast as the 1300, it just seems it isn't built for speed to me, and I shoot one quite a bit. YMMV of course. As Pat has said, its what works best for you, so try them all!!! :cheers:

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I have been shooting an 870 for a while, just wanting to check out the grass on the other side of the fence. I think I am going to try the Nova, I have no need for a pistol grip. Unless I fall in love I may try the 1300 next year!

The Nova is a great bargain. I bought a new one with GRS for utility use last week for $325 OTD after $50 rebate.

In either case, buy the one you want (stock config) up front. New stocks are so expensive that swapping stocks ona SN will cost you more than some shotguns unless you get lucky and find someone to swap stocks with on an even basis.

I've been out of town or I'd have replied quicker, I cannot speak for the 1300, however I've used 97's, 870's, 37's, 1200's, 500's, nova's and supernova's. All were used for speed events and all will short stroke if you do your part incorrectly. For me the Benelli's load weakhanded the fastest, are the easiest to modify or make user freindly, and seem to be the most expensive to initially purchase. I was reluctant to change from my 870 initially, but once I did it was easy to forget where it was in the safe. The larger loading port does seem to make loading MUCH easier as does the fact that the shell lifter stays in the up position once you load the first round. The Nova's do seem to be a bit long to me so that may be why JJ says his seems to fit him better, he is bigger than the average bear!!! So I am using a short recoil pad and it comes to the shoulder much quicker and with less drag. if I could figure out how to shorten the stock another 1/2 to 3/4 inch and remount the factory recoil pad I'd do it. There are pics of the mods that can be done to a nova on a topic entitled "Benelli nova mods"

BTW Pat, I don't think many shooters know my last name?????

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

I've been out of town or I'd have replied quicker, I cannot speak for the 1300, however I've used 97's, 870's, 37's, 1200's, 500's, nova's and supernova's. All were used for speed events and all will short stroke if you do your part incorrectly. For me the Benelli's load weakhanded the fastest, are the easiest to modify or make user freindly, and seem to be the most expensive to initially purchase. I was reluctant to change from my 870 initially, but once I did it was easy to forget where it was in the safe. The larger loading port does seem to make loading MUCH easier as does the fact that the shell lifter stays in the up position once you load the first round. The Nova's do seem to be a bit long to me so that may be why JJ says his seems to fit him better, he is bigger than the average bear!!! So I am using a short recoil pad and it comes to the shoulder much quicker and with less drag. if I could figure out how to shorten the stock another 1/2 to 3/4 inch and remount the factory recoil pad I'd do it. There are pics of the mods that can be done to a nova on a topic entitled "Benelli nova mods"

Trapr

Well after the Pan-AM everyone will!!!! TEAM MATE

Trapr

Here, here!!! :cheers:

Trapr

Here, here!!! :cheers:

YOURS TOO MISTER!!!!

So which model of Nova/SuperNova is the one to get for our sport?

Do I have to settle for an 18.5 barrel with GR sites and add a nordic extension?

Get a 24" VR barrel cut to 22 and add my own sites.

Or does a "Race Ready" practical model exist like an 1100 or SLP?

jnewell: Where/When/How on the rebate?

I think a lot of guys, including myself, just use the 24" with an extension. It has 2 breads which will probably be good enough for slugs but I haven't sighted it in yet. I shot pretty much the same with a bead or rifle sights on my 870

I have a SN tactical which I really like (other than the fixed choke), but 80% of the time the ghost ring sights are a hindrance IMO. You're better off without them.

I have a 24" Nova with a Nordic +5 extension that my Wife and Daughter gave me for Christmas. The extension comes out even with the end of the barrel. The pistol grip stock on the Super Nova would probaly help with weak-hand loading, but I wanted a straight stock so it would feel more like my M1S90. I am still trying to learn not to pull off while cycling the action. I am faster with it than I am with an 870, I have not ever tried a Winchester 1300. I am happy with my Nova so far. The only mods done on it are the Nordic tube and clamp, a new front sight (hadn't done a rear sight yet),and smoothing out the loading port area some (really easy to do on the plastic).

Hurley

I have a 24" Nova with a Nordic +5 extension that my Wife and Daughter gave me for Christmas. The extension comes out even with the end of the barrel. The pistol grip stock on the Super Nova would probaly help with weak-hand loading, but I wanted a straight stock so it would feel more like my M1S90. I am still trying to learn not to pull off while cycling the action. I am faster with it than I am with an 870, I have not ever tried a Winchester 1300. I am happy with my Nova so far. The only mods done on it are the Nordic tube and clamp, a new front sight (hadn't done a rear sight yet),and smoothing out the loading port area some (really easy to do on the plastic).

Hurley

What front sight did you choose? Did you install it yourself?

Hurley

What front sight did you choose? Did you install it yourself?

I put one of the long, magnetic sights on the rib. So far it has worked well and stayed put. I really just put it on until I could decide on what I wanted, because I didn't like the factory sight. So far though, I like it.

Hurley