Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do with crimped primer pocket brass?

TruStreet

I bought two (2) 5 gal. buckets of 9mm brass & while sorting it after it was cleaned, the first bucket had more than 3,000 cases with crimped primer pockets. What do you guys do with this brass? I load 9mm major on a 650.

TIA

Manny

I bought two (2) 5 gal. buckets of 9mm brass & while sorting it after it was cleaned, the first bucket had more than 3,000 cases with crimped primer pockets. What do you guys do with this brass? I load 9mm major on a 650.

TIA

Manny

I bought a hornady small primer pocket reamer bit and chucked it in my drill. When I get a bunch saved up I just zap the brass for a second and it loads like butter. If this does not sound like something you want to do and you decide to pitch the brass I'll pay for shipping to me. :cheers:

I don't bother with crimped brass... too much of a PITA. Unless you have a 1050.

Neither do I. There is plenty of 9mm brass around for me to want to spend any time "fixing" crimped brass. I just toss it.

I see so few brass cses with crimped primer pockets that I toss them into the scrap heap. If I acxquireed a significant quantity and intended to use once in 9mm major then I would opt for removing the crimp and using them.

Swage them. I've always used the RCBS system. It gives me something to do when the weather is lousy.

I particularly like brass with crimped in primers where the caliber is one where the brass frequently fails through loose primer pockets.

CDD

How much does brass cost and How valuable is my free time?

Some will surely answer with, "too much to pay for when I can pick it up after a match for free" and "Not so valuable that I can't spend a little time taking an extra step in a hobby I enjoy".

If my time were so valuable I would not waste time working up loads when I could just buy AA&A and be done with it.

I have a reamer chucked in an old drill that sits on my "brass processing bench". It takes all of a second to remove a crimp.

Again thanks for all the replies, My wife has agreed to buy me a dillon swagger & she said that she would de-crimp them while I'm reloading. :cheers:

dood ..... does she have a sister that is not married? :rolleyes:

Yes she does, but they are in Barbados!

Again thanks for all the replies, My wife has agreed to buy me a dillon swagger & she said that she would de-crimp them while I'm reloading. :cheers:

dood ..... does she have a sister that is not married? :rolleyes:

mom, aunt, cousin ? :roflol:

Hello: Using the Dillon swager takes a very long time. The best option is a Dillon 1050 :cheers: If you are reloading alot of 9mm it may be worth it to find a used one? The last option would be to send it to me and I will use all that old stuff up for you :roflol: I use a RL-1050 with swage rod for my 9mm and 223. Thanks, Eric

Before I got my 1050, I just scrapped it out. Now with the 1050 I make a special run of it. I sort brass before I reload it and all the commercial stuff gets run first without the swage rod. Then I take all the military brass and load that while using the swage rod. I know there's a guy that does brass processing for $30/K.

Before I got my 1050, I just scrapped it out. Now with the 1050 I make a special run of it. I sort brass before I reload it and all the commercial stuff gets run first without the swage rod. Then I take all the military brass and load that while using the swage rod. I know there's a guy that does brass processing for $30/K.

Please PM me his info, incase my helper quits! :roflol:

custombrassprocessing.com

No affiliation. Has good feedback on forums I've seen. I've no personal or professional experience with this person, so don't blame the messenger. Check it out on your own.

Thanks, for the web address!