Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help with blinking...

jeffsoward

It sounds to me like you have reached the point where you just need to forget about it for a while. You are frustrated to the point that I'll bet your only thought at the range is on trying not too blink. If this is the case then the main focus of your mind is actually on blinking. I would just let it go for a while. Maybe go back to the 9mm for a bit and work on other things or just shoot for the fun of it.

Jeff,

after all these suggestions, it won't hurt to give another one.

This is kind of a focus shift thing, too.

When you're aiming and ready to prep the trigger, try to hold in plenty air and slowly press it out through your lips, this will be a breath out while your chest feels under pressure (kinda).

At the same time, STARE at the front sight. You may try this with a large target, no need to get distracted from the front sight by trying to aim too much.

Also, do you aim with one eye open or with both eyes open? In case one eye is being closed, this may be quite tiring on the eyes, especially for cross eye-dominant shooters. It used to make my eyes twitch badly before I started using both my eyes.

The reason I mention this is that now, with both eyes open, a "Nancy Pelosi stare" with wide open eyes is very easy.

Together with the pressed breath out, you'd look like this here :surprise: , sorta.

Good luck.

press your tongue into the roof of your mouth

There is more to this...and I can't give specifics right now. But..

If you are eating icecream, etc and get brain-freeze this will clear it up instantly. Try it!

Also, I was watching an old NFL films program one day and they interviewed an old school lineman (can't think of name)...mean dude. He would always set around smacking himself in the face - most thought he was crazy anyway. When they asked, he was training himself not to blink when he came off the line and smashed faces with the other guys. This was a 70's player...mean dudes playing then. Oh, yeah he was crazy too. Might work for you :ph34r:

Good luck

Well, I feel like I haven't accomplished anything. I've been through another 750 rounds or so and I've tried everything that was mentioned. I feel like I'm trying to stare the front sight off the gun but I can't keep from blinking.

Do this. To learn shoot without blinking, don't aim at anything - just shoot into the backstop. Stop staring at the front sight. And don't draw, just raise the gun up and cast a gentle gaze in the vicinity of the front sight, then direct all of your attention back into your face and start pulling the trigger. And see what you see.

You have to train and know what it feels like to not blink before you begin caring where the bullet goes.

be

I did it! I went shooting (casual shooting) yesterday out at my grandfather's land. We were shooting at some paddle cactus with my suppressed SPR and then I pulled out the 1911. I started shooting and just sort of watched the sight climb and fall. After about 7 rounds, I realized I wasn't blinking and had been watching the sight as I chose which paddle to hit.

I got all excited and, of course, the very next round made me blink. :wacko:

When I thought about it, I blinked, but when I was "just shooting" I actually watched the sight rise and return.

So, if I can, I will try not to concentrate too much on not-blinking and just shoot for the heck of it.

Brian, I will definitely try your advice out at the indoor range this week.

...and now a gratuitous pic of cactus damage (from a side-on shot from the SPR, not the 1911);

deadcactus.jpg

went to the indoor range a few times this week. Got a few more eye-opening experiences out of it. Still not even 50% of the time, but getting better.

I'm going to shoot my first USPSA match sunday night with it and see how I do.

Lots of good info here. Double plugging and shooting the berm help, and what also elped me was keeping my face relaxed and both eyes open and not squinting the left eye. And what helps me to do that is placing a tape on the left lens on safety glasses, so I don't see double image. Half-closing the left eye while shooting is very bad for me, it spreads tension all over the body, and therefore increases flinch and hurts accuracy. But I can't keep it open without taping the left lens, because I would see a double image, which again makes everything go bad. :rolleyes:

Edited by askomiko

I'd like to thank everyone for their input and advice.

I don't really know what happened or which one worked for me but I shot my first USPSA match last night and didn't have any problems throughout the match. I may have blinked once or twice but overall it wasn't an issue and, honestly, after that first stage when I noticed that I was watching the front sight, I never gave it another thought.