Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed Holsters for S&W's

PumpGunGuy

I have a few revolvers that I enjoy shooting in local USPSA matches. Since I'm frequently the only revolver shooter, I don't get many opportunities to see other people's gear, so here I am looking for advice. What are your impressions about the CR and Ghost holsters? They all look dicey to me. How often do guns just fall out? Can you use the same holster for K,L, and N frames? Are there any other makers I should be considering?

Thanks,

PumpGunGuy

I like and use the CR Speed holster for steel shooting.

For USPSA stuff, I have switched back (for the second time) to the BladeTech after the CR Speed dumped my 25-2 on the ground again. I was re-setting steel between shooters and the gun was unloaded, so no DQ, but enough is enough.

Flexmoney and I were just discussing this at Area 5, oddly enough. As he pointed out, a lightning draw is not nearly as important in USPSA shooting as many, many other factors. How many times do you actually draw the gun during a USPSA match? It sure seems like starts from a table, from a briefcase, etc., are becoming more prevalent all the time. And how many times do you draw the gun as you're moving to the first position where you can actually shoot something? In those instances, the speed of the draw means almost nothing.

Ive tried them all and now use a Speed Sec. What I like is that it's been very reliable. In 3 years I have not lost a gun yet, thank God. Also one holster is all I need for all my Smith & Wesson revolvers be they a snub or my 8 3/8 in Model 29. I also like it for my 627.

I took Carmoney's advice when I started shooting Revo and bought a Blade Tech. I'm about 50 matches and several thousand draws into it with zero drops or failures. It isn't as versatile as a SpeedSec or Ghost for holding multiple frame sizes, but it holds my 625 and 627 with zero issues and very, very little chance of dropping.

I have done timed comparisons from my BT and from a SpeedSec and there's no difference (I'm maybe a hair quicker with the BT).

All of that said, I may be getting ready to buy a Ghost that will hold my 625 and 627 with optic installed for ICORE Open.

I going with a CMore STS mounted on a JPoint S&W mount on the 627, so just maybe it'll still work from the BT. If not, I'm going with a Ghost because my fingers are too fat to consistently, effectivley engage the SpeedSec lock.

I have a few revolvers that I enjoy shooting in local USPSA matches. Since I'm frequently the only revolver shooter, I don't get many opportunities to see other people's gear, so here I am looking for advice. What are your impressions about the CR and Ghost holsters? They all look dicey to me. How often do guns just fall out? Can you use the same holster for K,L, and N frames? Are there any other makers I should be considering?

Thanks,

PumpGunGuy

I have been using a CR Speed for the last Ten years, I mainly shoot N Frames and can easily convert it from a 6 1/2" to a 5" barreled gun in a matter of minutes. Mine is shimmed properly and has never lost a gun. The only draw back, if you can call it that is the parking brake, if you forget to undo it you almost pull your pants off drawing the gun.

I used to use a Safariland and CR speed but started using the Hogue Powerspeed this year. Its a really nice holster and fast. When its not locked the gun is held by magnets with no mechanical retainers so the draw is really smooth.

When I first started shooting revolvers I looked at all the "Speed" holsters. I wanted one that would work with different barrel lengths, plus I'm not a big CR Speed holster fan (at least with my 1911/2011's). I ended up getting a Ghost. Since I use them for my Limited and Open S_I's, I was familiar with the lock. I have never had any problems with any of my Ghosts. Just don't forget to unlock them before you try to draw!

The Bladetech is just as fast, in my testing, and as Mike points out you almost never draw to a target in a major match. I can only think of one stage at Area 5 where that was even possible, and it wasn't the best plan. My only DQ was a powerspeed dumping a loaded gun at Ohio a few years back.

H.

What model # is the Blade-Tech holster you guys are using?

I have a 5.5" 38 Super 627 and a 5" 625 that I'd like to use with the same holster

You know, I'm not sure. It's the basic DOH but I can't remember if I got the standard "up to 6.5" or the "Miculek up to 5" model. I'm pretty sure my 627, 5" 625s, and 4" 625s fit, but I'll check once I get home. My 6" 617 does not fit.

H.

:rolleyes:

Ive been using an amadini holster that I got from Frank Garcia , its sorta like a

ghost but has a barrel spud, I use the same type with my limited Caspian.

Seems to work just fine.Brownells use to sell them but not now.

Jim/Pa

Sailors ;)

I'm using a CR & Safarilands for my Limited guns, tell you why this is important in a bit.

I was using a Safariland 002 for my 5" 625 & 4" M29, have now switched to a DOH Blade Tech.

Now my draws have been pretty consistent between the 1911's & Revolvers it always depends more on my reaction to the buzzer depending on my focus that day. Once settled in I've never noticed more than a few .10's difference.

This has not changed with the Blade Tech. It is just as fast, and actually seems faster, than the Safariland 002. Once I modified the front of the Blade Tech. I cut and scalloped it so the barrel doesn't drag on the holster if I get sloppy. It's also much more secure than anything but the older Safariland 007-8's, but they are of course only for Autos.

I've never had a CR drop a gun, but it always feels like it's going to.

Unless you start using a 6" barreled Revo I'd stick with a Blade Tech, and if you do get one that long the Blade Tech's are cheap enough you could whack a way on one to try and make it fit. While most of us aren't in the class of say a Dr. Dremel, it still not hard to do.

I used to use a Safariland and CR speed but started using the Hogue Powerspeed this year. Its a really nice holster and fast. When its not locked the gun is held by magnets with no mechanical retainers so the draw is really smooth.

I ROed a guy who had a holster that used magnets to hold the gun. Except it didn't, or couldn't, hold the gun against the torque when this guy pivoted 180° to start on El Prez. Loaded gun in the dust. DQ.

Note to all that if the start involves moving at all, prior to drawing at the start of a stage, leave the lock on these magnetic holsters until you can safely draw.

Edited by professor

I just got a CR Speed this past month, and shot wearing it at Area 5. I noticed that at about 10 stages into the 12 of the match, the portion of the holster holding the revo was pivoting up slightly as I was walking around. Since the draw is supposed to pull the gun out of retention in line with the holster frame, I was readjusting the angle just before drawing. [Needed major size Allen wrench to tighten this in place, which I didn't have with me.]

Also, I noted that the portion of the holster that fastens to the belt has a smooth rod, to which the gun portion of the holster fastens with a friction fit, so that you can have the gun positioned at a vertical distance to fit your arm length. Based on the gradual loosening of the adjustment points, I'm thinking that this was the place that Mike's holster lost it, and dropped the gun to the ground which still locked and fastened into the holster frame.

Since I like the clearance this holster affords, my plan is to fasten a second block to the adjustment rod, below the main block holding the revo. This will be a fail-safe to prevent the holster from falling apart even if loosening occurs there. As for the rotational slippage... I'm still looking into that.

Added to pre-match prep: Check tightness of all retention bolts.

"my plan is to fasten a second block to the adjustment rod, below the main block holding the revo."

the block your referring to has a small set screw in it to lock it in place even if the other bolts came loose.

I just got a CR Speed this past month, and shot wearing it at Area 5. I noticed that at about 10 stages into the 12 of the match, the portion of the holster holding the revo was pivoting up slightly as I was walking around. Since the draw is supposed to pull the gun out of retention in line with the holster frame, I was readjusting the angle just before drawing. [Needed major size Allen wrench to tighten this in place, which I didn't have with me.]

Also, I noted that the portion of the holster that fastens to the belt has a smooth rod, to which the gun portion of the holster fastens with a friction fit, so that you can have the gun positioned at a vertical distance to fit your arm length. Based on the gradual loosening of the adjustment points, I'm thinking that this was the place that Mike's holster lost it, and dropped the gun to the ground which still locked and fastened into the holster frame.

Since I like the clearance this holster affords, my plan is to fasten a second block to the adjustment rod, below the main block holding the revo. This will be a fail-safe to prevent the holster from falling apart even if loosening occurs there. As for the rotational slippage... I'm still looking into that.

Added to pre-match prep: Check tightness of all retention bolts.