Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 9mm Recoil spring?

justicentyme

Does anyone know what weight the M&P Pro 9mm stock recoil spring is?

I have a light (120 TCBB @ 935 fps out of a Browning HP) load worked up for my wife's Brwning HP that I also use in my S&W Super 9. On both of these guns I had to dial in the recoil spring to get them to function properly.

I notice that SSS has springs listed from 11# to 20#. If I knew what was stock I would have a better idea of what one to start with. With whatever spring that is in it now it will function only about half of the time. From past experience with the BHP and the Super 9 I know that this load needs a pretty good reduction from stock.

Also on the guide rods that SSS offers (both in the stainless and in the tingsten) is the difference just in length? If so what length seems to work best? (I have tried to contact Kenny but he must be out of the office or my e-mails are not getting to him.)

Thanks

James

Edited by justicentyme

11 is about the lowest you can use, but it's so light that you can actually shake the gun hard and feel it partially come out of battery. Even a 13lb spring will feel close to this, and is the lightest most folks are using. I ran a 13 for a while and then decided I liked the feel of a 15 better. With loads on the lighter side (like 130PF) the gun isn't 100% with the 15, but runs with the 13. My current load is around 136-137PF and works nicely with the 15.

The Pro has a relatively heavy slide and you may not be able to find any combination that works with such a light load (your 112PF load above). The good thing is that even with a 135-140PF load it's still very mild to shoot. My wife is 5'2" and 105lbs and the first time she shot my Pro with my handloads she said "this is a wussy gun, anybody could shoot it"!

Yes, the difference in the two length guide rods is simply that...length. You can use either in a Pro9L

I am using an 11 lb right now in my 9P and functions fine. Just like G-man said, it is a little light but I shoot a lot of steel and wanted a light load to function in that pistol. Currently, my power factor is about 115-120 and functions fine (except for the mysterious failed extraction sometimes). I am trying to get even lighter with different combinations of bullets and powder but I'm out of the country right now so no shooting for me. The 13 lb spring is nice but I can't run those same loads through it, failure to eject/stovepipes.

One note on the factory 15 lb spring - I have a 15# spring from Kenny and it doesn't feel the same as the factory 15# one. The factory feels more like 15.5 or 16#. I don't know, maybe just me but that's what I feel.

I'm sure Kenny is around, keep trying him - he's a great guy and good to deal with.

Good luck!

When I got my pro the spring was so heavy/tight I could not shoot most factory ammo w/o malfunction and ended up using an old one out of my fullsize.

I tried the ISMI springs when I went to heavier loads and I just don't like them. Maybe it's the fact they are uncaptured on a standard length rod and they jerk around a lot (kind of like shooting a pogo stick). Shooting 150PF ranger the 13 pound ISMI was just ok and the 15 I could barely control. Coming full circle I'm now shooting 124g FMJ 3.8-4g titegroup loads and I'm back to the old factory spring and staying there. I think the key to the factory spring is that it is well broken in.

Just my feeling but the 13 and 15 ISMI feel heavier than either of the factory captured springs I have used and don't behave well uncaptured. The 17 will probably never come out of the package. Don't remember for sure but I seem to recall the factory spring is something like 16.5-17 pounds? One of these days I might try and find retainer caps and make the ISMI springs captured and try them again.

Note on the guide rods...... the longer guide rods, especially in tungsten, are heavier and they protrude slightly into the pocket in the front of the slide. They DO NOT protrude out of the pocket in the front of the slide, only slightly into it.

I recall reading somewhere that the factory spring is supposed to be 15#. I have the 13# and 15# ISMI springs, and both do feel lighter than the factory spring, as others have mentioned. Based on the feel of my 13# spring, I don't think I would go any lighter than that.

I have read posts on this forum of people using glock 34/35 springs in their M & P's with good results. Do a search and you will probably find those posts.

Does anyone know what weight the M&P Pro 9mm stock recoil spring is?

I have a light (120 TCBB @ 935 fps out of a Browning HP) load worked up for my wife's Brwning HP that I also use in my S&W Super 9. On both of these guns I had to dial in the recoil spring to get them to function properly.

I notice that SSS has springs listed from 11# to 20#. If I knew what was stock I would have a better idea of what one to start with. With whatever spring that is in it now it will function only about half of the time. From past experience with the BHP and the Super 9 I know that this load needs a pretty good reduction from stock.

Also on the guide rods that SSS offers (both in the stainless and in the tingsten) is the difference just in length? If so what length seems to work best? (I have tried to contact Kenny but he must be out of the office or my e-mails are not getting to him.)

Thanks

James

James, I haven't received any of your emails until you emailed me from the forum, I replied to that one but it bounced right back, I have no idea what the problem is.

The factory won't tell us what the recoil spring weight is but it's generally accepted that they're around 16# with emphasis on "around". Usually the 15's work well with factory type loads and the 13's work good with 120-140 pf loads. The 11# spring has it's place but that would probably involve a lightened slide and a reduced power striker spring. The difference in the guide rods is in the length, obviously the Tungsten is heavier than the Stainless. The rods listed for the 9/40/357/9L/Pro are the same length as the factory guide rod, the ones listed for the 9L/Pro are a little longer but don't come all the way to the end of the slide. This is purely cosmetic because it looks a little better than one that goes all the way to the front of the slide although we've been testing one that does go all the way to the end of the slide and will probably offer that one shortly.

Thanks to all for their input. It is greatly appreciated.

G-ManBart: The slide on my M&P Pro 9mm weighs 18.5 ounces. The slide on my Super 9 weighs 17.5 ounces and I use an 8# Wolff (745 / 4506) spring on it. However it has a hammer (17# Wolff spring)so it really can't be compared to the M&P with its striker system.

millisec: Is it just the ISMI springs that behave odd to you in the M&P or any recoil spring that is used with one of the aftermarket guide rods in an 'uncaptured' mode?

In 50+ years of shooting this is my first polymer / striker gun and the first gun I have owned that used the 'captured' recoil spring system. Can someone educate me on the merits of this system?

kend: I need to get some parts ordered but I want to become more aware of the M&Ps characteristics first. I'll try the email again

Thanks again to all for their input.

James

I have an uncaptured stainless rod for the pro along with the spring three pack, 11, 13, 15 lbs. I can send them to you to experiment with if you like. I used the rod and 13lb spring for a few months before selling my pro. Let me know.

Anyone else heard that reduced power recoil springs can lead to FTE's in the Pro? I was told the lower resistance of the 11-13 lb spring allows the slide to unlock and start rearward before the pressure in the chamber falls low enough for the spent case to be extracted. The extractor slips off the rim and leaves the case locked in the chamber. Let me tell you from personal experience, that will get you a DNF on a stage. I don't want to think about what would happen in a gunfight. On advice from a great M&P gunsmith I went back to the stock spring setup and bumped my reloads up a little and my problems went away. As a caveat, tho, I did have my extractor tweeked and the chamber polished as well.

Wilsoncreek,

I've heard this but I've had the FTEs with the factory string also. It is true if the spring is too light and the loads are up in PF, then yes, I agree that could be the cause of the FTEs. However, it's happened to me with both springs with many loads so I don't believe that is a valid argument. I'm not saying I've had a lot but enough to piss me off. Out of about 4K rounds I've put through my 9Ps, I would say I've had about 10-15 FTEs. And you guessed it, they almost always happen in a match :(... I'm going to try the new extractor from Apex and see how that works out for me...

I run a 13lb ISMI spring for a Glock 34 in mine. Works great @ 130 PF.

I run a 14 lb spring and non captured guide rod I got from Chris @ CPWSA for a G34. Works great for 130-132PF loads. I believe the spring is a Wolffe.

+1 on the 15 lbs recoil spring from ISMI

-1 on the 13 lbs recoil spring from ISMI on a PRO

+1 on the 13 lbs recoil spring from ISMI on a well broken in 9L

My wife has a Pro and I have a 9L. We decided to experiment with some new recoil springs just right before the 2010 VAMD. At training the week before the match we noticed that her gun with 13 lbs spring would occasionally not go in battery. She also had a few failure to extracts. She shot about 500 rounds that saturday and had a handful of out of battery.

I changed the recoil spring to 15 lbs still using the ISMI brand. She shot 500 rounds that sunday as well (it was during one of my courses i teach) and her gun ran like a champ.

My gun is a 9L and it is heavily broken in. I have over 40,000 rounds through it and I use a 13 lbs ISMI spring. The gun runs great with my ammo.

My Ammo: 115 grain montana gold bullets, winchester 231 5.1 grains of powder, cci sp primers, random casings. 135 PF 1150-1200 FPS.

Hopefully my rant helps =)

Well thanks to forum member Sarge I have one of the stainless guide rods and also 11#, 13# and a 15# ISMI recoil springs which Kenny sells.

I finally got a few minutes in between farm chores and took the gun down to our range and tried the guide rod and the 13# spring with the light 120 grain TCBB load that my wife uses in her BHP and I use in my S&W Super 9. As I mentioned in the first post with the stock recoil spring this load would not properly function the gun.

I only had 68 rounds of this load available to test so it is far from being conclusive but with the 13# set up it functioned flawlessly. I tried several just loading one round into the mag to check for slide lock and it worked great.

I haven't had time to check it from a bench in this gun or chronograph it yet. In the BHP it runs about 935 fps and gives real good accuracy. (The last two IDPA matches the wife shot she has had zero points down). It doesn't shoot quite as well in the Super 9 but is plenty good enough for IDPA.

I hope to get several hundred rounds loaded up in the next week or so to check for accuracy (and where the POI is with this load), velocity and further functioning test.

So far I am real pleased with the results of the 13# setup so far.

I will need to put more rounds through it before I decide on whether to go with some Apex parts or not. As I am primarily a revolver shooter the trigger pull is not that bad to me and it is definitely NOT gritty like some guns apparently are.

Thanks to all for their input.

James

I haven't had time to check it from a bench in this gun or chronograph it yet. In the BHP it runs about 935 fps and gives real good accuracy. (The last two IDPA matches the wife shot she has had zero points down). It doesn't shoot quite as well in the Super 9 but is plenty good enough for IDPA.

My 9 Pro runs the best around 130-135PF with the factory spring. (I like 147s right around 900fps) If your wife ever wants to shoot IDPA seriously, she should start shooting a legal load now.

If your wife ever wants to shoot IDPA seriously, she should start shooting a legal load now.

My wife is 62 years old and suffers from severe RA. She has had both knees replaced as well as one ankle. Her fingers and wrists are so deteriorated that it is painful for her to shoot any load.

I am very proud of her that she even shoots at all.

One does not have to imagine themselves as a Master Class shooter to enjoy it or take it seriously.

James

My 9 Pro runs the best around 130-135PF with the factory spring. (I like 147s right around 900fps) If your wife ever wants to shoot IDPA seriously, she should start shooting a legal load now.

If your wife ever wants to shoot IDPA seriously, she should start shooting a legal load now.

My wife is 62 years old and suffers from severe RA. She has had both knees replaced as well as one ankle. Her fingers and wrists are so deteriorated that it is painful for her to shoot any load.

One does not have to imagine themselves as a Master Class shooter to enjoy it or take it seriously.

James

Very well said. :cheers:

James

Very well said. :cheers:

+1 :cheers:

James

Good for her. What I meant was really traveling to sanctioned matches and the like, where there'd be a chrono. Some shooters in perfect health shoot ultralight loads where they can get away with it, which I don't think is ever actually a help. If that's what it takes to keep shooting though, good on her for not giving up.

• 1 month later...

I run a 13lb ISMI spring for a Glock 34 in mine. Works great @ 130 PF.

I also run a 13 lb ISMI. Mine is a little close to the edge in cycling with 132 PF loads but does indeed run.

To do it again, I'd probably go 14 or 15 to give a little more room.

I've Borrowed Bobby's 9Pro and after shooting one match started to tinker. It's a disease and yes, I need a 12 step program.

It had the stock striker spring (from what I can tell) and an 11# recoil spring. Function was fine, felt good. If a 9# was available I'd try it. They don't make one. The brass is ejecting about 1.5-2 feet. A 9 wouldn't work with the stock striker spring, and certainly wouldn't work in a Glock. However....

I've since received an Apex spring kit and sear. I'll save my opinion on the sear for another thread. The "reduced" power striker spring was slightly lighter that stock, but 4 coils longer. Trigger pull measured exactly the same with both springs. The Apex spring was still WAY stronger than the reduced power Glock striker spring I have. I cut 3 coils off the Apex spring (now same length as the stock one) and the 11# recoil spring holds the slide in lock up a bit better.

It may be an option if you like the way the gun feels with the 11 but want a little more holding force to keep it locked up.