Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SV mags, what?

revomodel10

So being the little piggy I am, I hear SSI had the most coveted of all mag bodies!

All hail SV! :bow:

about 1K later,

I get them, , actually just thinking to squirrel them away, when my bud says they have changed?

What? what?

they are engraved, that's cool!

How else can you improve on perfection?

OOOOpps,

then I read the often missed DISCLAIMER:

SV Replacement Magazine Tube 124mm - 38 Super / 9mm, Standard Duty Carry length, correct size for IPSC international box rule

"Note: These are the latest dimension SV magazines and mag tubes. Please be aware that the new design has slight modifications which does not effect pistols with original SV dimensions. If you plan on using these mag tubes or magazines in pistols other than SV then you may need gunsmithing modifications be applied for these magazines to function properly. The buyer most become aware of possible gunsmithing modifications and assumes all responsibilities prior to purchase."

Whoknows about this?

And who knows WHAT to DO to make them work in ST"EYE" guns?

I am not looking for dremel instructions here,

but what to tell my gunsmith.

Edited by revomodel10

The mag catch hole on the right hand side of the mag body is lower than it used to be. We compared some of the new bodies to some older bodies to find what the difference is. It is also a smaller oval shape instead of a squared off cutout. So your smith needs to enlarge the hole to make them work.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

The mag catch hole on the right hand side of the mag body is lower than it used to be. We compared some of the new bodies to some older bodies to find what the difference is. It is also a smaller oval shape instead of a squared off cutout. So your smith needs to enlarge the hole to make them work.

Brian

+1

I just had to do just that.

Same here. 2 Brand new mags and I had to break out the mini-files. It was easy though. 10 minutes tops. They are a little tight in a plastic grip though. I did have trouble with them in an aluminum grip. I just could not get them too work - way too tight.

Hello: Take one or your original mags with you so he can make a template. That way he can match them to the older mags that work. If they are tight in the grip they will have to be messaged to fit the grips. Also make sure the mag does not hit the bottom of the slide when it is closed. I have done a couple now :cheers: Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

If you plan on only using the new style magazine tubes you can lower the shelf on your STI mag catch by 0.050" and reduce the radius on mag catch where the shelf meets the main portion of the mag catch. If you will be mixing the the new tubes with your older magazines you can raise the upper edge of the slot on the magazine body 0.050" and square up the radius on the front edge of the magazine tube to match your existing tubes.

Just got some SV mags and had a similar problem with them in my STI frames. Brandon at SVI recommended Doug Jones at Acc-U-Rail. I gave him a call, sent my blaster, the SV mags and an STI mag that fit. He turned them around in a week. They fit perfectly and lo and behold, when used in my 9 major gun - no malfs.

On top of that the cost of the mag mods was very reasonable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Legitimate question.

Why change the design? Is it so that SV can make their parts more proprietary? Is this design better? More reliable? I know they've changed their ITS dimensions so they will no longer drop in into other guns. And they haven't sold frames individually for a while.

Not bashing, just want to know if the new design is "better" in any way, or if it's a business decision.

Hello: I think they want to make the parts there own. The new design of the mag is interesting to me since it may hold more rounds easily. I have not seen one of the new mags yet to compare the shape to the older mags. The people at SVI are very smart and do things that help out there company and customers. The breachface is one of those :cheers: Thanks, Eric

SV MAGS SIT HIGHER THAN STI - NOW FROM WHAT I HAVE READ HERE ( NEW MAGS SIT EVEN HIGHER IN THE GRIP ) PARA

OWNERS MIGHT WANT TO TRY THE NEW MAGS

new mags sit lower on the grip, that is why new SV mags need the mag catch hole trimmed on upper portion. i didnt know SV/ST mags fit in para, in its shape/form.

SV MAGS SIT HIGHER THAN STI - NOW FROM WHAT I HAVE READ HERE ( NEW MAGS SIT EVEN HIGHER IN THE GRIP ) PARA

new mags sit lower on the grip, that is why new SV mags need the mag catch hole trimmed on upper portion. i didnt know SV/ST mags fit in para, in its shape/form.