Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TA11 vs Meopta 1-4x

Pro2AInPA

I need to pick an optic for my new 3 gun upper. I've narrowed it town to a TA11 ACOG with the green horseshoe reticle or a Meopta 1-4x scope.

What do you guys think? The majority of targets will be under 300 yards. The matches I shoot in have a pretty even mix of close up stuff and distant targets.

My 3 gun rifle that was stolen :angry: had a TR24. I liked it . . . I just have this urge to try something different.

Thanks for any input.

PS - I did search. Read posts about each scope . .. didn't read anything comparing the two, though.

I'd say close and far are equally important.

Then I'd suggest the Meopta.

The one caveat is to try both beforehand if you can. Some people are able to use an ACOG like a dot sight, as far as I'm concerned it requires some sort of a jedi mind trick. But if you can do it with the ACOG then it may be just as fast as the Meopta for you, and that ACOG is lighter (I think) and has better eye relief.

That ACOG is a lot lighter than the Meopta-(I am assuming you are talking about the KDot).... it(ACOG) has been a widely used scope and still is in the military and in competition. If you want and you can practice it a lot you can go further than 300, but at the distances you are talking about the 33 is perfect. No battery, get a Larue mount and you save at least 10-12oz total weight. Not sure why you would go from a TR24 to ACOG, just trying to answer your question.

I forgot to add-the ACOG has a closer eye relief-you need to get real close to it-the Meostar is longer.

Edited by Jadeslade

I'd say close and far are equally important.

Then I'd suggest the Meopta.

The one caveat is to try both beforehand if you can. Some people are able to use an ACOG like a dot sight, as far as I'm concerned it requires some sort of a jedi mind trick. But if you can do it with the ACOG then it may be just as fast as the Meopta for you, and that ACOG is lighter (I think) and has better eye relief.

According to Meopta the K Dot has 3.5" of eye relief - is this not the case in reality?

That ACOG is a lot lighter than the Meopta-(I am assuming you are talking about the KDot).... it(ACOG) has been a widely used scope and still is in the military and in competition. If you want and you can practice it a lot you can go further than 300, but at the distances you are talking about the 33 is perfect. No battery, get a Larue mount and you save at least 10-12oz total weight. Not sure why you would go from a TR24 to ACOG, just trying to answer your question.

I forgot to add-the ACOG has a closer eye relief-you need to get real close to it-the Meostar is longer.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the TA31? Reports seem to indicate the eye relief is fairly long on the TA11. I know from personal experience that the TA31 has VERY short eye relief.

Unless there is something you think you will really like about the TA11 or Meopta, I would say stick with the TR24 that you already know you like. Very hard to beat that optic for 3-gun 300 yds and under. I went full circle with all three and spent a lot of $$$ doing so.

If you just gotta have something differant, the Meopta would get my vote, just get plenty of spare batteries as it has no battery saver feature. Dead batteries drove me crazy :wacko:

OK, I have to admit to not fully understanding sights like the TA11. It seems as if a fixed 3.5x sight would mandate the need for a second sight for closeup.

Not necesarilly (sp?). The ACOG has a brightly lit (fiber optic) reticle, and allows the use of the Bindon aiming concept. (BAC). The shooter keeps both eyes open and is able, in theory, to engage targets at point blank range.

Good choice on the Meopta, I'm assuming you're shooting Tactical. Personally, the TA-11 works well for me with a secondary red dot for close range. I tried using the ACOG reticle as a dot at close range and most of the time have my shots to the right; must be with my vision, I'm not really sure. But I love it for long range; so I have the Meopta for Tactical and the ACOG with a Docter for Open.

Rifles.jpg

I replaced the Docter mount with a Burkett Offset one and that works better for me.

Well let,s see! I have won SSM3G with a TA-11 and second and 4th this year with a TA-11. A Mepta doesn't do anything for me that a TA-11 doesn't do! BUT BE ADVISED I don't have a dominate eye. That means that I have Iguana vision. I can use the Bindon concept to it's fullest! IF YOU HAVE A DOMINANT eye....Meopta!!!! TA-11 RULES, if you aren't terrible eye dominate. KurtM

• 2 weeks later...

Unless there is something you think you will really like about the TA11 or Meopta, I would say stick with the TR24 that you already know you like. Very hard to beat that optic for 3-gun 300 yds and under. I went full circle with all three and spent a lot of $ doing so.

If you just gotta have something differant, the Meopta would get my vote, just get plenty of spare batteries as it has no battery saver feature. Dead batteries drove me crazy :wacko:

mpeltier - can i ask what you disliked about the Meopta? sincere question - I saw the new k-dot at SHOT and am thinking it's the one for me (once it's available), but I'm keen to hear from folks who've tried the kdot and found it not to their liking.

thanks in advance, appreciate any feedback you can provide.

-jaredr

Something about my eyes means I just can't do the Bindon Aiming Concept. Indeed, I can't shake the feeling that BAC is more a marketing concept to turn a weakness of the ACOG design (fixed magnification) into some kind of supposed strength. There is a lot to like about the ACOG, but performance inside 50yds is not its strong suit.

I run a Meopta K-Dot... it is about the only low power variable optic that has electronic illumination bright enough for the AZ summer sun.

Unless there is something you think you will really like about the TA11 or Meopta, I would say stick with the TR24 that you already know you like. Very hard to beat that optic for 3-gun 300 yds and under. I went full circle with all three and spent a lot of $ doing so.

mpeltier - can i ask what you disliked about the Meopta? sincere question - I saw the new k-dot at SHOT and am thinking it's the one for me (once it's available), but I'm keen to hear from folks who've tried the kdot and found it not to their liking.

thanks in advance, appreciate any feedback you can provide.

-jaredr

I really like the K-dot for the most part. It is my second favorite 1-4 variable. The lack of a battery saver feature was a big issue for me as the Meopta illumination is a hungry beast. Probably why it is the brightest of the battery powered daytime illuminated 1-4 scopes ive tried. If you do not turn it off, it WILL be dead next time you use it. I also found the dot in the middle a tad big for 300+ targets, and I did not like the hunter style turrets. I prefer to dial in differant zero's and a target turret with a resetable zero mark on the knob is my preferance.

I have not yet handled the new version coming out, so i do not know if any of my dislikes have been addressed. Its not likely they are listening to me.

Mark

Edited by mpeltier

For those who CAN do the BAC, can you do it with the Meopta as well?

For example, lets say you have a bunch of long range targets and then one or two close range. Do you switch the lever to 1X for those targets? Or do you BAC it?

For those who CAN do the BAC, can you do it with the Meopta as well?

For example, lets say you have a bunch of long range targets and then one or two close range. Do you switch the lever to 1X for those targets? Or do you BAC it?

Yes