Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how often you change your stock glock recoil spring

9mmalpha

I recently experience cycling problem with my G-34, my PF is 135+, havent change my recoil spring since I got my 34, I had spent at least 12,000 rounds in it, Do you think that is the cause of my Failure to feed. it only happen recently. any thoughts will be appreciated.

Depending on the feeding problem, that may be it, but it is cheap to replace. I have put several thousand rounds through one and it still runs fine, but any part will wear out. What type of feeding problems were you having?

you change springs???? I have an early G17(made in 86) that still has the original recoil spring in it??? go figure???

I would maybe lean twards an ammo issue??? change anything recently??? OAL??? or any other components without running them thru a guage of some sort or even re-chronograph the load perhaps??? very rarely have i had a gun w a spring issue, it was usually somthing else going wrong, hell, i still have some original beretta 92 springs in some really old 2011 mags that still run like the dickens

I've had my Glock 17 for 6 years now and have yet to replace the recoil spring.

I was shooting 3 - 4 matches every month for 5 years without any problems.

It still has the original OEM recoil spring after 30K rounds and it still rocks

I ignored my recoil spring for a long time, then when I was doing the too-rare detail cleaning I found that the locking block had cracked. Completely. Two pieces, not just a hairline crack - (and likely had been for many hundreds of rounds). It's not too surprising considering that when I checked the recoil spring it was pretty tired and clearly past due for replacement. The gun had performed fine (reliably and accurately) with a shot recoil spring, but had battered the locking block enough to crack it, and then continued to perform adequately. I pay a bit more attention now. The recoil spring test is enough to do, and springs are cheap enough... or just hit a GSSF match every season...

Best,

ac

I found the answer from many experienced glock boys in a major match last week, they all considering changing it at least every 5000 rounds, the part is 8 dollars worth, its wiser to have it replace than risking messing up your match.

What I have been told by certified (or is it certifiable) Glock people is that Glock Recommends that you replace the recoil spring around every 5000 rounds, unless you are shooting a .40/.357, in which the say every 3000 rounds. I have put well over 10,000 rounds through both my 9 and .40 and they are still on the original springs. I carry a couple of spares in my range bag just in case I start to have problems but like most of the people here my Glocks do not seem to have a problem with the "old" springs.

I found the answer from many experienced glock boys in a major match last week, they all considering changing it at least every 5000 rounds, the part is 8 dollars worth, its wiser to have it replace than risking messing up your match.

can I have your used springs after 5k rounds? :) I could sell them as barely used, Seriously you can shoot thousands of rounds before changing them out. I believe the ISMI springs can have something like 40k compressions, before you loose a little. Also what lb recoil spring are you using, if you are using lighter than 13lbs, you will probably have to change them more.

• 4 weeks later...

its the factory recoil spring, I would still use the old one for practice and save the new one for the match... Im cheap thats why I shoot glock. thanks for your feed, I will do that when I finally decided to use lighter spring once I get a plastic guide rod.

Get a SS non-captured rod...

As for swapping factory rods and springs back and forth... :wacko: Just go shoot the piss out of it and stop worrying about this. If you want to, change it out for a new one every year. Seriously, Some of you are putting WAY too much thought into this issue. Every 5000 rounds? I would have had to of changed the OEM every month the first two years I started shooting USPSA at that round count. Instead, I put a 13lb spring in there (sometimes with 3 coils cut off) and shot the gun all year. Swapped all the springs out in the 'the spring', and did it all over again the next year.

It's a Glock and an ISMI spring.

Wow, I hadn't heard Glock recommends changing them at 3K for .40/357. My duty guns (all .40 Glocks) only go back for preventative maintenance every three years (obviously more than 3K rounds) and that doesn't seem to cause any problems. Obviously, it's a cheap part and it won't hurt anything to change it early, but I'd expect them to go a lot longer than 3-5K before running into problems. If I was running a Glock for USPSA I'd probably change it once a year and call it good. R,

I shot a Glock for a few years and put a few 10,000 rds through it.

Not one hiccup.

As long as the ejection pattern does not change because the spring's turned to jello, why bother?

On some other guns you can wear the spring out, at that time the brass usually flies farther than ever before, noticably.

Never seen that in a Glock.

• 1 month later...