Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So between now and next April, I need to narrow my short list of new vehicle possibilities.

We'll be trading in our 2000 Montana, and looking to get something modest.

My critera are simple.

Must be comfortable for XXLarge adults to drive.

Must be able to hold 3 kids (9-11) at the same time in back.

Must not be built in Korea or Japan, or Europe.

My target is to match the same $500/month car payment I have now, spread over not more than 4 years.

Our operating theory is we are not likely to be a one car family in the near future, so we buy one new vehicle every four years, replacing the oldest in the fleet.

I have a few in mind, but what are your thoughts??

Nissan Xterra, and before you tell me no Japan again, it is made in Smyrna. I like ours, but then I also like my Kia Sorrento but it fails you Korea rule.

What kind of price are you willing to spend? The monthly payment is also a function of loan duration so it doesn't help much. Will a truck work or does it have to be a car? Will a the product of a foriegn car company that is built in the U.S. be acceptable?

We need a little more definition.

I would like to try and live within the $24K all in budget of the last vehicle. I'd like to stay with a SUV or van like car as it's for 'er indoors, not moi. I'd prefer a true north american manufacturer, but would look at a Japanese vehicle assembled here. (I live 30 minutes from a Honda plant)

What I'd really like is to find out that GM is reversing thier decision and will be building a 2011 Montana.

Used Toyota Tundra 4dr. I came from a F150 to this, and will not look back. Absolutely huge interior, rear doors open almost 90deg, almost as much leg room in the back as in the front.

+1 got an extra cab 5.7 L. Its a biggun getting 17 mpg.

Why not support your locals and get a Honda Odyssey? We see a ton of them come through the shop - only because the nearby used car lot sells a few dozen a month (easily their best selling vehicle). The only common trait on the newer (i.e. 2004-2007) models is failing power sliding door modules and motors. Not a huge issue to deal with.

It's just plain hard to argue the utility and convenience of a minivan, especially in your situation.

+1 I have thought it over and over and I always windup choosing a VAN!! over

trucks, Suv and others.Big roomy, new, sporty,27mpg! I windup leasing a Nissan van for $320 a month and that

was an awesome experience. Never had any problem except rotate and change tires. Other than

that just drove it and put gas in it. Also, just get as basic as you can get it.

you will save lots of money.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Honda Ridgeline - used is best deal. New really expensive-but can probably get one used for about 20K. Very large interior, trunk in bed of truck. All wheel drive but drives excellently on the Interstate. Gas ok. Really surprised me when I looked at it. Kind of ugly, but it's like a mule-you get used to it because it works so hard.

Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia. They have some $299/month Leases going right now, have three rows, and are large enough to satisfy your "XXL" requirement. They also get mid to upper 20's to MPG. With enough trade value (or $ down) you can even stay in the sub $500/month on a purchase.

My reason for financing over 4 years is the general observation that all but the worst POS (Chrysler) will tend to be relatively reliable over the first 8 years with the low (10-15K ) milage I put on my vehicles.

Leasing for me means two payments.

More legroom in the back than in the front, major power under the hood, made in Texas (mine was made in Indiana) and you can probably extend your replacement timeline quite a bit. You'll have to skip the Limited and fancy options, but you'll be happy with it.

ARE1.jpg

If you want to stay away from a big, big truck and prefer domestic, a Ford Flex really wouldn't be a bad choice.

Edited by G-ManBart