Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

im cool

Field

first stage of an 8 stage section match, its cold and wet, my hands are cold and my fingers dont have all thier dexterity.. i should have worn something warmer.. the buzzer goes off and i draw, squat and shoot through a barrel at some steel targets, i get done knocking the steel over, i stand and begin moving to the next set of targets..ejecting my magazine..my finger goes out of the trigger guard (i watched my fps camera later and saw what i did)im in the process of grabbing my next mag to insert it in the gun (the gun is at chest level)and then my finger goes back onto the trigger and i somehow manage perform a big fat accidental discharge while im on the move. woa dude wtf.

then there are about 2 squads worth of people around when i do it, i had the gun pointed downrange and it didnt go over the berm but FFS how stupid am i. Then im not even sure how i managed to do it, its not like im shooting some 1911 with a 2 lb hair trigger i just have an xdm9 with a drop in trigger kit. its like i clenched my pointer finger for some reason and bang. ugh.

anyways, just saying that your weekend probably went better than my weekend so you should be happy. i drive for 2-3 hours to go to a match and then i get DQ'd the first stage for an AD and then i am driving back home. bye.

Sorry to hear about your AD and DQ, but IMO, you should have stayed and helped tape, set up stages, pick up brass, etc. Again, IMO....

yeah thats a good idea. stand around for 6 hours taping and resetting targets

Sorry to hear about your AD and DQ, but IMO, you should have stayed and helped tape, set up stages, pick up brass, etc. Again, IMO....

It shows sportsmanship and comraderie. Maybe, just maybe, you might even learn something new or cool.....But, that's just me.

I know it is easier said than done but it would have been the sportsmanlike thing to do at least for a few more stages. Dq's are given for specific reasons and you seem to know there was no judgement call on the RO's part it was an AD. Everybody pays attention to how shooters handle being DQ'd.

+1 to 1SG Sanders response. How a shooter conducts himself after a DQ is one of our sports unwritten tests of character. No doubt, ours is an individual sport but one we can't play without a team (the squad).

To the OP, your USPSA member number shows that you're relatively new to the sport. We're just trying to demonstrate that departing immediately after an earned DQ (they're all earned IMO) may cast you in a light you didn't intend. Just trying to help you out.

Same thing happened to me last year.Went to reload and bang.I stuck around and ran the clip board the rest of the day.By the end of the day I felt better (not good) about what had happened,other shooters even shared there stories of mistakes.If I would of left I would of been stuck in my head and that can be a bad place to be.Everyone makes mistakes,lucky this one was safe.Keep your head up and stick around.

We drove 15 hrs to the "double tap", and my buddy had his fully loaded Glock exit his CR speed while running with a prop in his hand that had to be deposited on the other side of a door he was opening with his other hand. Not only did he stay to help tape, but volunteered to help score and was trained on the scene with a palm pilot ( some RO's were late showing up.) Not only did everyone there give him "high five" for being a stand up guy, but i believe he got some left over random stuff from the prize table from the MD. He re-confirmed what a sportsman he was for sure that day to me, and everyone else around.

He could have gone back to the hotel to get drunk, but didn't.

Instead, that evening in the bar, he took some jabs (in good nature, of course) and had a couple to unwind form the DQ.

Thanks for sharing. One thing you can do is get those handwarmers. They are only $1 and help out a ton. Throw one in each pocket and your set.

About you leaving, I'm going to disagree with most. This being big match and you being 2-3hrs away I probably would of left to. Local matches is a pretty given that you stick around and help. If you handled the DQ well and didn't blame anyone but yourself then you did nothing wrong. Personally I would of apoligized to the RO and squadmates, shook everyones hand. I would of made sure I found the MD and RM and shook their hands and told them thanks for putting on the match. I have to much stuff to get done and 2 young kids at home to be able to help the rest of the day. Don't get me wrong, if I had nothing planned and the kids were away at grandma's I would stay and help then. But thats not very often. I love watching other shooters and Bs'in with the guys.

I know when I Dq'ed I helped for about a stage then went and practiced. It was my home club so I could do that. My club is an hr and lucky to make down there for live fire 1 or 2x's every 2weeks. I was there and had ammo. When I was done I finished helping and run shooters and tore down the stages. Then we all went and had some wings and beer like every other match. I just lived to far from the range to not practice.

I could care less is someone stays and helps. As long as they took the DQ and didn't create a situation or arguement all is well. Staying and helping after a DQ isn't required for having good character.

Flyin

Staying and helping after a DQ isn't required for having good character.

Failing to stay and help out after a DQ isn't necessarily a sign of poor character, but staying and helping out after a DQ is most assuredly a sign of good character.

If a shooter has so much to do at home that they feel compelled to abandon their squadmates after a DQ, then perhaps they shouldn't have come to the match in the first place. That said, I completely agree with you on how to correctly "exit" a match - you're advice on seeking out the match leadership and thanking them for their work is 100% spot-on.

Staying and helping after a DQ isn't required for having good character.

Failing to stay and help out after a DQ isn't necessarily a sign of poor character, but staying and helping out after a DQ is most assuredly a sign of good character.

To me character is within, its not someones view of you. When I read the thread it sounds as though his character is in question. I'm sure he feels bad about the DQ but throwing him under the bus isn't needed.

I will disagree and take one word out.

Failing to stay and help out after a DQ isn't a sign of poor character, but staying and helping out after a DQ is most assuredly a sign of good character.

I can agree to this 1000%

Also find someone on the range who doesn't have something they should be doing other than shooting. I'm sure everyone has something they should be doing like mowing the lawn, landscaping, cleaning out the garage etc etc.

Flyin

We had a shooter from Cleveland I think, got DQ'd in Cincinnati. I'm guessing 4-5 hours? He came to our stage and offered to help score.

This is tough I guess. If you have not been there then it is, like I said, easier said than done.

As far as the argument of having something else to do instead of shooting. I personally get all of my "chores" done before I go to a match. (Please read to mean, I make the wife happy by mowing, cleaning up, whatever) So when I go to a match that is what I am supposed to be doing that day. And I am way past the "small kids" stage but I do remember how tough that was. That is probably why I am getting to the game so late at 50 years old but I had to get my priorities straight. Now my priorities are geared more towards taking it easy. :cheers:

Hi guys,

This happened at my event. An event, that I spent a very big part of my week building and creating, in the pouring down rain and having to pay a baby sitter to watch my daughter so I could build this match. Needless to say my heart and soul went into this match, and I certainly would have appreciated you (field) coming up to me, rather than your squad, to tell me of the incident. Certainly was not required, but me and you, you know me. We have talked, and I have worked with you very patiently on many occasions now. You and I had that channel open, you should have taken the time.

I've talked with you directly about this before, and this is not the first time you have had this happen, so the fact that I am very disappointed, is not something I care to hide.

Like I have already told you in the past, it's not what happens at a DQ it's what you decide to do with it later. That "feeling", you get and how you decide to deal with those feelings, are something that are truly telling of your character. I too have video of the DQ, I too got a very good look, and I have to be honest that I am truly doubtful that the round stayed on my range. I even gave a big speech about this, no more than 30 minutes of you doing this at the shooters meeting. I was hoping I had everyones attention at the shooters meeting.

We had 2 of the Worlds best shooters in this event, Travis Tomasie and Max Michel, you certainly would have learned a lot sticking around. But even more importantly, we would have learned a lot more about you. I've already told you my stories, and I'll leave it at that.

I'm sorry you decided to do what you wanted to do anyhow, in the manner you did it. Good luck selling your gun.

Ari B

Edited by Aristotle

i wasnt meaning to slap anyone in the face by not being there anymore, there were more people than needed to do all of the taping,scoring,breakdown. i didnt really think id be wanted around anyways. i just quietly leave and not be a diva about it. its hard for someone to learn from people that are such a high skill level if the person hasnt even mastered the basics. im sorry.

Edited by Field

i wasnt meaning to slap anyone in the face by not being there anymore, there were more people than needed to do all of the taping,scoring,breakdown. i didnt really think id be wanted around anyways. i just quietly leave and not be a diva about it. its hard for someone to learn from people that are such a high skill level if the person hasnt even mastered the basics. im sorry.

I don't think any one was saying you did a face slap thing. But we are trying to guide you with experience of a better way to deal with an unfortunate occurrence. I hope that you would have gotten unsuspected support from the squad 'if you had stayed to help'

I can tell you that most everyone gets a DQ at some time. my best friend went 15 years and 50 major matches with out a DQ and got two in a thee month stretch last year.

I remeber a moment at a big steel match a few years back after having a great first 1/2 of a match. =fast clean fast runs,= in the rain, and thin a Big spray of water blowing up as my bullet hit the water between me and the first plate. DQ Dude

I learned a bit about my self later that day, but mostly just how Kind and supportive people can be.

20 years ago Brian Enos autographed his book to me with "Stick With it and Stay Sharp"

Same to you

Stick with it and stay sharp

Jamie Foote

Edited by AlamoShooter

We drove 15 hrs to the "double tap", and my buddy had his fully loaded Glock exit his CR speed while running with a prop in his hand that had to be deposited on the other side of a door he was opening with his other hand. Not only did he stay to help tape, but volunteered to help score and was trained on the scene with a palm pilot ( some RO's were late showing up.) Not only did everyone there give him "high five" for being a stand up guy, but i believe he got some left over random stuff from the prize table from the MD. He re-confirmed what a sportsman he was for sure that day to me, and everyone else around.

Instead, that evening in the bar, he took some jabs (in good nature, of course) and had a couple to unwind form the DQ.

I'm the friend that stuck around. Did it hurt getting DQ'd? sure. Was I upset? not at all. The RO and the RM felt worse about it than I did. DQ's happen. It's part of our sport. I always tell people it's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN. Like Cnote said, I could have sulked off and hide from everyone, but I was there to have fun, and while it can be done by one's self, it's not always legal at the range. ;) I over heard a few of the RO's at lunch talking about the MD having to run a stage because the 2 RO's that were to run it missed their flight. So I approached Robert and asked if I could help out in any way since I was otherwise dead weight. He gave me a quick tutorial on the palm scoring software, and I spent the next several hours running the palm, and getting to meet and talk to more shooters than I would have otherwise.

The circumstances of your DQ are rough, they always are. I don't know Ari personally but have read may of his posts here and know that he is a good guy. He wouldn't have held your hand over the incident, but he would have encouraged you to stick around, and had you asked would have found a spot for you to help out.

This sport isn't a team sport in scoring, but it is probably one of the largest team sports in the world. We all have to work together to get through a match, whether your shooting or just there to BS, help out whenever and where ever you can. It builds character and also earns you the respect of your team mates.

Cody "drove 30 hours round trip to get DQ'd" D.

The RO and the RM felt worse about it than I did.

This has been what I have observed as well, each and every DQ I have seen. It is just terrible to end a shooters day.

Edited by Sarge

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Field, heard about your DQ that day...Your squad felt really bad for you and would have loved for you to stick around. Sorry it happened to you, but you have to understand that AD's are this sports worst enemy. All it takes is one bullet landing in someones living room and we will all have to go find something else to do for fun. You need to slow down out there and master the basics (like keeping the buger hook off the bang switch) before you go so fast that you don't even recall what you just did. I know that is tough and we all want to be like Tomasie, but I bet it's been a while since he was DQ'd. Don't get discouraged buddy, just use this experience to force you to train, train, train. Dry fire and reload practice every day, so that as soon as the pistol is coming off the target the finger knows nothing but to come out of the trigger guard. Hang in there man!

sucks to hear about your DQ. do you have the ability to post the video here so those that were not there can get some perspective on the situation?

i have video from my perspective i dont really want to post it on youtube or nothin like that though, its just when i went up to move and reload after knocking down an array of steel my finger slides back inside the trigger gaurd and forcfully hits the trigger while i am jamming the mag release with my thumb, and the mag release was really stiff for some reason and then really bad excuse by my hands were damn cold honestly never had it happen before, dont plan on it happening again, if its remotely cold at a match ill have a coat and sweater and be using handwarmers and stuff, for srs

the 2 matches ive been at i was wearing my favorite black and grey sweater and i was doing some sweatin but really heh id rather be sweating than be getting cold again.

Edited by Field

Yeah, it happens. I got lucky when mine happened in a major match, I hit a no shoot target, and I was the only one that knew it was an ad for sure, but it scared the crap out of me and I learned from it. I was shooting a 1 1/2# 2011. I hadn't planned on shooting those on the move but went to it after the AD, tanked the stage big time.

I RO at a lot of matches, seen RO's get DQ'ed then they get to spend another 3 days running shooters, now that sucks.

• 2 weeks later...

At my first 'big to me' match, I had an RO that was nice enough to tell me my finger was in the wrong place even though my gun was pointed in the right direction. There's just so much to learn. :blink: