Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

I did win HOA at Wildcat. Classifier comes in at 69% which won't count. I shot it with no aggression whatsoever.

For shits and grins we shot it for fun after the match and that run was so much better. I got aggressive and maintained a laser focus on the exact spots I wanted to shoot and took .3 off my run with way better hits. That run would have been low Master class.

I get way to excited, it's been pointed out by many. When I get control, sometimes I go the other way, way to relaxed and humdrum. I will keep working on this "state of awareness", I think I've just about got it figured out.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New PB on near to far drill of 2.96. It was the 3rd one out of the holster. Felt good, always excited getting a PB, let's me know I'm moving in the right direction!

Bill drill: new PB of 2.18. I'd have to check to be sure, but I think that's it. For me it's my surrender draw. I've always struggled with it and think about it. It is coming along better and I continue to use it as my preferred start in most drills so as to get some extra reps in.

I was going to do Brian's transition drill, but instead invented one of my own. It has two paper and two plates. Basically it goes.... Plate, paper, paper, plate. I use my plate machine and the two outside plates. The paper are forward 3 feet and out from each end 3 feet. So,. Right plate, left paper, right paper, then left plate. = 3 good transitions. I ran it both ways ( starting on other plate) too. I added up the transitions and my base time first run was 1.84. My best was 1.62.

I had to concentrate on the eyesnap and finding the target spot. This is gonna need some work! I'm game.

Edited to add: loaded up 200 rounds.

Edited by Chris iliff

Did some different stuff tonight. Friend came over and we shot about 200 rounds. Did some left to right movement on 4 targets, then right to left. He is not familiar with shooting while moving and this drill was for him.

Got bored with that pretty quick and did it WH only both ways. Then WH only, but head shots. It was fun.

Finished with group shooting. Something I need to spend more time doing. Paster at 8 yards got obliterated though. I need to tighten this up.

All in all it was fun and productive.

Did a little dryfire tonight. Some stepping draws on the 4 targets we used for live practice last night. I par timed lst night at 3 seconds before we started live fire. Of course my live fire was about a 3.75. So tonight I changed the way I was stepping from the draw and picked up a tenth on my dryfire. I actually feel this will translate to a better livefire time as I felt more control doing it tonight. Last night I was rushing to get the par. Tonight I made the par with good sight pictures in the A on every shot. I didn't livefire it as I need to load and I'm pushed for time.

Next I did some dryfire Bill Drills. Mainly to work on my surrender draw. I have recorded a 1.87 hands at side and it gripes me there is such a difference when I do them surrender. I'll keep working on it and will get a sub 2 sec from surrender. When I do I will increase the distance by 3 yards.

I wasn't on the range but 30 min. I left feeling comfortable that I learned some things and it was productive. At some point I'm gonna tackle my Quest for a sub 5 second El Presidente. Best in a match is just under 6.5 secs with crappy hits. I know that I can do better than that now.

Shot 100 rnds of quality tonight. The 4 targets have been set up so I did them. Left to right and right to left one way at a time with movement. It's a good little drill and I focus on my dot for each shot and getting my eyes to the next target spot before the dot gets there.

Frankly, I wanted to do more, but it's about time to buy components, ain't $$$ a behotch.

I feel like I am shooting better than I ever have, who knows, maybe I'll make Master this summer. It was not a goal for me, but I'd take it with a smile.

Did Coach's League shoot today at Warsaw. It was a great time. 3 stages and you shoot each one twice. Really good way to run it. I got great advice from Coach.

This is cool as after the first run you implement the advice and adjust your stage strategy then you can compare. My second runs on two of the stages were better I think. 1 was real close.

I am at a place now that I have a lot of little things that are time killers. One being my reload. Probably looks good to some, but it's costing me. Coach pointed out that I hung in position a tad to long for the reload. He is right. In the middle of a classifier it's pretty good. In the middle of a stage it's one step, but a slow, determined, methodical step. Needs to be more fluid!!

Coach pointed out my splits on one stage were all the same. Why? Good question and I've been thinking about it since. Splits aren't the end all, but there should be a difference on targets that are equal distance, with some having No Shoots or hardcover, and some open. This particular stage had plenty of No Shoots mixed in, why were my splits all the same?

I think I look at stages as a "whole". So, I see lots of partials, I program the whole stage to shoot those types of splits, regardless of the open easy targets.

This of course is not good. On that stage I estimate more than a second if I would have been aggressive on the trigger with the open targets. Probably 2 seconds.

All in all there are too many things to write. This is a GREAT class for anyone looking for TRUTH in their shooting.

Coach is a great instructor and this will not be my last League Shoot, it's just too good of a deal not to repeat it again.

PM Coach for details of his next class.

Edited by Chris iliff

Did Coach's League shoot today at Warsaw. It was a great time. 3 stages and you shoot each one twice. Really good way to run it. I got great advice from Coach.

This is cool as after the first run you implement the advice and adjust your stage strategy then you can compare. My second runs on two of the stages were better I think. 1 was real close.

I am at a place now that I have a lot of little things that are time killers. One being my reload. Probably looks good to some, but it's costing me. Coach pointed out that I hung in position a tad to long for the reload. He is right. In the middle of a classifier it's pretty good. In the middle of a stage it's one step, but a slow, determined, methodical step. Needs to be more fluid!!

Coach pointed out my splits on one stage were all the same. Why? Good question and I've been thinking about it since. Splits aren't the end all, but there should be a difference on targets that are equal distance, with some having No Shoots or hardcover, and some open. This particular stage had plenty of No Shoots mixed in, why were my splits all the same?

I think I look at stages as a "whole". So, I see lots of partials, I program the whole stage to shoot those types of splits, regardless of the open easy targets.

This of course is not good. On that stage I estimate more than a second if I would have been aggressive on the trigger with the open targets. Probably 2 seconds.

All in all there are too many things to write. This is a GREAT class for anyone looking for TRUTH in their shooting.

Coach is a great instructor and this will not be my last League Shoot, it's just too good of a deal not to repeat it again.

PM Coach for details of his next class.

I was hoping that you thought it was worth your while. Sounds like you thought so. Our squad was newbies and expderienced hands and I found that difficult to managage and get everyone their money's worth. I thought your movement was fluid on Saturday, and you showed flashes of greatness. There were times you were shooting better than I have ever seen you shoot and that seems like progress is being made. On the spilits could it be simply trusting what you are seeing?

Yes it is trusting what I see. Really simple, but I do tend to over complicate things. Thanks again for a great time and all the help Coach!

Warsaw 06/10/2012

I won HOA!!! Over 60 shooters.

Very happy with that. Repete was back 3%, but honestly he had a couple stages with gun problems. He would have won the match if not. But I feel I would have been on his heals nipping.

Stage 6

Our first stage was my worst. In the middle long bay. I feel my plan was solid. Stage had some activators and movers. I had to many makeups on the steel. I think there were 4 steel and I shot 2-3 times for each one. They weren't distance shots or anything, just first stage jitters and I didn't give them enough respect. Cost me 3 seconds or more easy.

Next stage was stage 1. I shot this way too conservative. I went with a plan that I knew was a second or two slower and guess what? It was a second or two slower. Several no shoots and I worked my splits on these pretty good. Trying to do what Coach pointed out. I'll keep working on this.

Stage 2. This was a standards. You don't see many of these at matches. Stand in box shoot 7 targets freestyle, reload shoot five targets SH only. Repeat going WH only after reload on second string. I won this stage. My reloads were sloppy both strings. Got to work the reloads and I will.

Stage 3. Nice little unloaded start stage with 2 poppers and 4 paper and lots of movement. I won this stage. Critical point for me was loading from the start off the belt. Nice little twist that you don't see often. Dropped a D on my last paper, first shot. I called it beautiful and last shot was an A, but I didn't make it up.

Stage 4. Classifier 03-09. Most regrets. This is an easy Master class score for me and I barely shot it at 75%. Everything that could go wrong did. My draw was crappy, I mean like a half inch or more low on the grip with my strong hand on the first string. Hits were crappy. Second string draw was again not what I wanted, but better than the first string. Hits again crappy, but all there. I do take positives away from this. I am now able to run fairly decent % on a classifier when things don't go correct! That is pretty good And a positive. I almost paid to shoot it again, but decided not too. Master class can wait, I KNOW it's coming!!!!

Stage 5. Things come together here nicely. This is a back up start with some tuff little transitions and a no shoot throwed in. Followed by a sweeping stage run that had close no shoot targets and some distant open targets all on the move. Very fun stage and it clicked for me. I won this stage with a 15.18 time. I don't think anyone was close. I dropped some D's, and kept trucking. Classes with Mr. Keen and Coach's League Shoots pay huge dividends on stages like this. It was a blast and it all came together for me.

Great weekend of shooting!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Ok, this was a classifier at Wildcat a month or so ago. Repete smoked Joe B. and I by moving and shooting. So, I set the dang thing up after that match and dryfired it every which way. I've ran it live with good hits as low as 3.30's each way. With a No Shoot hit I ran it in 3.20 and 3.21, that' run was just hosing fast.

I've ran it with one step. No steps(shoot 2 paper, move, shoot other two paper), Two steps, step to middle shoot all. I've ran this thing forward and backwards in dryfire establishing the best way for me.

In the end it ain't called "on the move" for nothing!

Best most consistent runs we're as follows. Stepping while drawing, gun is on target directly in front of start position as stepping foot hits ground shooting that target. Two targets in the middle are getting blasted as my other foot is coming in and then, I'm tall, so if the walls are straight up and down its a quick shuffle step/ lean for outside target. If you can step long on first step it's just a lean.

Eventhough I'm tall I prefer just a modest step on first step. Repete went monster step and it looked awkward but he beat me by .4 or so each way.

So it is moving the whole time, but just enough to get the targets. Maybe I can get a video and post a good run.

Also the baby steps shooting all the way across was a loser for me.

A month ago During my dryfire experimenting I finally

settled on the method I just described. Shooting it live, that consistently got me 3.6 To 3.8's with a few points down.

Of all my stages yesterday, that's the one I'd like a do over on.

On the stage in the big bay: I got great advice from Coach. I never quit moving and my plan was solid. That pesky target on the left in the hallway that people were getting sucked into the opening while shooting, I took 2 or 3 steps earlier by hugging the left side of the wall. Never really stopped moving. I think that and hammering the close stuff was the difference.

Edited by Chris iliff

Max ( guy from work) came over. We shot about 150 rounds. Worked on movement and reload with a box to box drill. Start aiming at 10 yard target. On buzzer fire shot, reload and blast to next box (directly right or left 4 yards) then fire 1 shot at another 10 yard target. Worked reload in one step and gun up at entry. Really wasn't a shooting drill so, although I wasn't too concerned about my hits, I did try for A's. Mostly it was a Reload, HUSTLE, gun up drill.

Next we worked on shooting while moving straight to a target. I set up a fault line and then a box about 4 yards away. Target was 10 yards or so from fault line. On buzzer, step in and shoot target as you're moving to box. Last sho fired as you step into box. We strove for all A's and I was pleased.

I know there is a way to manipulate either the distance traveled or shots fired so you are forcing yourself to move faster, but I can't remember. Someone chime in here if you know what I'm talking about.

Last we fired groups at ten yards. I ended with a 3 shot controlled fire nice group. 2 inside the paster and 1 just barely outside. I'm gonna try to do the group shooting thing more in my practice sessions.

I had a great match at Warsaw and I have been trying to take something from each match and practice it. Most troubling thing at Warsaw was a couple reloads and someone stole my draw. I swear it was decent a week ago, but it just went south at the match. I'll fit some drawing and more reloads into practice this week.

I love this stuff!!!!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

I just had a good practice. 200 rounds.

I picked my near to far drill. Set a new PB of 2.87 as follows:

.97 draw on near w/ .16 split

.77 transition to partial @ 17 yards w/ .44 split

.53 to plate at 25 yards.

Next up, El Presidente! I watched some vids of Max and Todd. They turned different than me. I've always turned into my gun, but I pivoted on my weak side leg (left). This is the conventional method. It has always felt awkward, my feet end up pointed wrong. Got to bring the left leg up, Steve Anderson did this with a little step during the reload. Of course, he is Mr. Anderson and a GM. I am A shooter wanna be padiwan. I digress, anyways, ... Now I pivot on my strong side leg (like Max & Todd) and everything is just soooo much smoother. I'm lined up to the targets. I don't have a foot that's out of place. My reload is smoother. It just felt soooo much better. Took me 8 years to figure a simple turn out, duh!! My first run was a wash, I had a jam on last target and didn't even look at the time. I ran it 8 times and it just felt great, here they are....time, points down.

6.29, down 2

5.68 Down 1

5.62. Down 3

5.49. Down 2

5.47. Down 8, had a D

5.63. Down 1

5.49. Down 1

Averaged HF 10.0707=. 84%. Easily Master class minus the down 8 run when I pushed for speed. Again, speed focus just sucks hind teat!!

I am so happy, with the Exception of the first run listed, they are ALL better than anything I've ever done except with my .22.

I can't believe the times and hits. My draw was around 1.65 and my reload was 1.35. This tickled me. Turning draw 1.65 and it was completely new to me!! I'll easily take .4 off of that, probably more with a little practice!! Reload was averaging around 1.35 and that can get better too. I think this method sets me up better to the targets. Less movement after the turn= better hits and better reload.

Next up Bill Drill

Another PB!! 2.07. Draw 1.25. Didn't get the splits, but I'm sure they hovered around .16-.19 or so. I did have one split on one run of .10, but I was down 3 @ 2.06 so that run got tossed. I only count the runs with all A's as per original Bill Drill instructions.

All in all just a great range session!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Shot Ft. Wayne today. 2 overall, 2 open.

Rained during match. I never got my discipline under control.

Shot classifier at 75% for my only stage win. 2nd on all other stages.

Stages were a good mix. Ft. Wayne is putting on some great matches.

Edited to say: I am disappointed with my match today. I try not to dwell (even talk about) on the negatives. It has taken me awhile to really get at the positives. First, my movement was pretty good. Second, I hammered stage 4 that had some fairly close targets covered in no shoots. I did pick up a no shoot on this stage, but it was not during the close hammering. Third, my classifiers are starting to level out and get more consistent. I know I can run today's better than I did. Today's weather, wet and rainy, did not allow me an optimum grip. I ran it as aggressive as my grip would allow.

So there you go, positives.

Edited again to say: I can't hide it, I'm pissed as hell. I checked the scores and I win every stage if I would have done my part. Not by a little. Letting my discipline go was very costly. I hate not winning. I really hate not winning when I should. No excuses! Time to double down and refocus my energy mentally during practice and especially matches. I can and do have fun even when I'm mentally doing my part. Why I let some of that energy go is piss poor. I need to recognize this during a match and double down. I've figured a lot out in the last 6 months and feel I'm really making progress. I'm mad at myself, I'm better than that. Rant off.

Edited by Chris iliff

Dryfired 30 minutes outside.

Worked El Presidente. Par time of 5.66, which is an average of my live times. Quickly got down to 5 seconds on that par. Did some at 4.8, but they ain't smooth so there is some work there. When I go sub 5 live I'll push distance to 15 yards.

Turn and draw. Ok, as stated, I've completely revamped 8 years of T&D method. This is going to take more effort. I did a bunch very slow and methodical. Par time is around 1.2 for a consistent first A. I know I'll get better as I continue to burn this new T&D in and form new brain routes. As of now, I'm still thinking about it a little. But, tons better than my first tries live, which were typically at 1.65.

10 yard draws upper and lower A zone. Did them relaxed and surrender. Par of 1.1-1.2. Gonna keep working the draw as it went south during Warsaw's match. Wanted to get some reps in.

Bill drills, par time of 2.00. Pleased with them. Pretty sure I can go sub 2 on this. I don't do many reps live as I would like to keep it real. This is an easy little drill to burn in and fool yourself on. So I didn't push hard during dryfire. Made the 2 sec par and kept mechanics good. When I go sub 2 I'll push the distance to 10 yards.

Good time on the range. Very hot outside for June, my 3acre yard is burnt!! No mowing for me!!

Loaded up 200 rnds.

Poured the last of my True Blue powder in my hopper. I've got 8 pounds of Autocomp on the shelf. I've never used a different powder. Even when I shot a super, I used TB. I didn't think the switch was going to be a big deal, but I'm kinda anxious. I hate the idea of working up a good load with the Autocomp powder.

Positives, I've shot Autocomp and I really liked it. It felt better and the dot seemed tamer.

With what's in the hopper and what I have loaded I've got about 1,000 rounds to shoot before I take the plunge.

Edited by Chris iliff

Shot 200 rounds.

Chad (cb45) and Max came over. We had a good time. It's great to have shooting buddies. I did not set any new personal bests. We kept it fairly structured. Did El Presidente a couple times. Out of the holster completely cold I went sub 6 down 5. I then did a 5.5? Down 5. I'm completely tickled with my new T/D method. I'm not even pushing hard on that yet.

Next we did the near to far drill, this didn't go very well for me. I think I pushed too hard and tried to turn it into a speed drill. Dumb move. It's a trigger drill! I'll visit this again and get it right on Saturday. Max basically kicked my ass on this drill. He did good.

We then shot in the pouring rain! It was coming down in buckets!! We just shot, as Chad said, "we'd shoot the match"! Honestly, I've never really practiced in a down pour of rain. It was fun. We were doing my movement drill and again I wasn't grooving, but I had fun.

Next up was Bill drills. I had some good runs around 2.10 or so. Had a throw away run of 2.02. This is getting better but I gotta remind myself to relax.

I let chad shoot my Open gun. He is an addict now. Gonna be fun as he comes to the dark side!!!! He's already bought his new slide!!! He let me shoot his single stack .45. What's with muzzle flip by the way? Go figure, ha!!

All in all a FUN session. I probably tried too hard on some stuff and that's fine, I had fun!!

Edited by Chris iliff

I let chad shoot my Open gun. He is an addict now.

This is the exact reason I haven't taken you up on any offers to shoot your Open gun. I don't want to have to go buy one!! haha

Teddy Llassos always wants me to shoot his Limcat. I feel ya!! No way do I want to go down that road,.......yet!!

After watching him tune mags witha three pound hammer in the gravel at Ohio I would prefer to not be on his squad with that thing. :surprise:

Dryfired a little last night. Just about 15 minutes, gun up, SH/WH stuff and trigger.

Got up and did........... Laundry!!!!!

Yes I do laundry. Wife was up at 4 to work some overtime on her Saturday, why shouldn't I do something to help out. Crap, I get away with shooting, least I can do!!

Ok, back to the manly stuff, I cleaned my gun. It sucked. Cleaning carbon out of the comp just sucks dirt and worms. But, it needed done. I'm gonna have to do something about a backup blaster. Don't really have the $$$, but I need to get a plan at least.

I also changed out my recoil spring and cleaned all my mags inside and out. Mag brushes rock by the way.

Wife is on her way home, so it'll be off to lunch for now. Maybe some shooting later on today. I'll post if I do.

Shot SH/WH. Uuhhhghh! Man I need some work! I need to do this at least once a week. 150 rounds just barely knocks the rust off. Gonna start dedicating a little each practice session to this and groups at 10 yards.

Atlanta tomorrow!! Fun!!!

I.....am........wiped.........out!!

17 in my squad at Atlanta, it was grueling HOT!

I shot sloppy, trying to hard. Too many penalties.

Had a malf on one stage, FTE. Cost me 10 sec or more.

At this point I was done mentally. Tried to learn something on the last stage so I went for all Alphas. Managed to finish the stage down 2.

I guess the classifier was ok for me. It was 99-47 Triple Choice. I got my hits and it should work out to 77%. Still trending up on classifiers and gaining consistency. This is a good thing.

Absolutely detest gun problems. That and the heat did me in!! Squad was a great group of shooters that helped out without slacking. That is always a bonus.

I'll post results when Bart gets them done. Might be awhile........80 shooters!!!! Good for Atlanta!!!!

Edited to say: no scores yet, but I called Chuck and got a new extractor coming. Also my last stage plan was forced on me by Bob Ferguson. Bob shoots a revolver(thank God ) and he only dropped 2 points. I thought "I can do that!" I went for all A's and ended up down 2 also. So basically Bob and I tied and there will be a shoot off. I haven't decided how to do the shoot off, but Bob will have to use his revolver, it's only fair IMHO.

Edited by Chris iliff