Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

Chris,

Your last post made me think of something I was recently told while practicing bullseye. A good friend and accomplished bullseye shooter said to me "Stop tring to shoot a score, Shoot for performance and the score will be there." I think you hit the nail on the head, focus on whats important and the other stuff will happen. Have fun on the 8th.

Bob

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! This weekend makes 8 weeks without touching a gun. Of course this is the weekend with Mr. Anderson. So I'll be learning some dryfire protocol and developing my winter routine.

8 weeks, geez. No wonder I have been jonesing. I am excited to get back to it. I'll try to include an in depth analysis of the class. If you read CB45 and Robs Shooting log Range diaries You'll get a real good perspective on the class as all 3 of us will be there. Between the 3 of us, it should be described real good.

Edited by Chris iliff

WOW

WOW

WOW

Double WOW

Ok, are you getting it? Steve Anderson's dryfire level 1 & 2 class. WOW.

Background: I have 9 or so years of USPSA experience. I have and have read all the important books. I've taken 5 previous classes with various top flight GM's.

I have Steve's books. I used drills 1-12 several years ago to get out of C class. I know how scary powerful dryfire can be when done 3, 4 or 5 times a week. Before dryfire, I was a C class guru for 5 years. I started 4 straight seasons at roughly 58% and just couldn't manage to break a 60% avg. After just a short time with the drills I almost skipped B class. Initial B card was almost 73%. Less than a season later I was an A.

From making B to now I have done very little with dryfire as far as any kind of disciplined routine. Yes, I'd gear up and do my stuff, fight par times, struggle with questions and doubt about technique. Kind of frustrating. I knew that it was powerful, but I also knew that I needed to PERFECT my technique. I've dealt with some training scars and did not want to add any new ones. So, I changed it up. Most of my dryfire was slow and methodical, if and when i did it, not sweat breaking.

As an A I know that moving forward is going to be different. It's coming down to a tenth of a second here, a tenth there. It's coalescing everything learned into a subconscious. It's shot calling. It's not a faster or slower mindset. It's not a points concept. Or a time concept. It's, it's, ..... More than what got me here. It's everything that got me here.

I know I'm rambling, bear it out padiwan. It's worth it.

In walks STEVE ANDERSON.

I had never met Steve before. I knew what various posters have said. Here is my take on Steve: infectious energy, quick wit, results oriented, open minded, passion, passion, passion about HIS students and shooting.

This guy WANTS you to succeed. In fact, when I beat him, lol....I think he will be genuinely thrilled and I better be ready for a high five and a "that's how you dooos it"!!!!!

The four hour class turned into 5 or more hours. No wasted time.

Within 5 min my draw was in UNCHARTED territory. I'm not taking a tenth. I'm talking almost half a second.

The process went something like...

Steve: ok guys give me your normal draw and a good sight pic.

Everyone does it.

Steve:: Good, good, now Chris, try this. Rob do this, Chad let's make this adjustment. Now everyone draw.

Everyone draws

Steve: good, now try this

Everyone draws

Me in my mind: holy crap, I think this guy just got the fastest draw to an acceptable A out of me than I have ever done. Holy crap. Holy holy crap. How long have I been here, 3 minutes, holy holy crap. I can't stop smiling. I feel adrenaline, I'm so happy I'm suddenly a bundle of energy. I get shaky.

Steve: you are shaking

Me: I'm stunned, I can't help it. I'm excited. I can't get this smile off my face. I can't believe you did this.

Steve: YOU did it, not me.

This is how it goes. Drill after drill. Success after success. Do this, knock off a tenth. Now try this, there goes 2 tenths. Rep, rep, rep. Then Steve would add a nugget, make a suggestion and bam, in short order kydex is smoking, draws get that movie martial art sound and par times are dropping like King Kong off the Empire State Building.

What you are getting for your money is a shooter that has a gift. Steve Andersons gift is an ability to discern your problems and guide you to the fix. Over and over, drill after drill. It's a valuable gift and worth every penny I spent.

His suggestions and fix's I will not share. Besides being Steve's, frankly, they are unique to me. Maybe you are doing it already and he will tell you something different. What worked on me to get to a .6 acceptable A at seven yards probably is different for you. That's Steve's gift and I truly believe he has this gift, lucky bastard.

Highlights:

Standard draw: .9 if I got lucky. Avg was 1 to 1.1

New. All day long at .7 Got to a .6 several times.

Surrender. 1.1 to 1.2 this was hard for me.

New: all day long baby, .7

previous turn and draw. 1 to 1.2

New t/d easy .7 and .6 was hit several times.

Draw at spitting distance: .9 or so

New: .5 baby and we didn't even push it.

El Presidente: the one drill I dryfire and live fire the crap out of. Old best was grooved in at 4.9 to 5 seconds. A PB of 4.8

New: 4 freaking seconds flat baby. I tried to go 3.9 and muffed it "trying".

A note on this: at the end of class Rob and I tied on this drill at 4 sec. Steve asked if we wanted anything else and Rob said yes a little more El Prez. Steve says great lets do this. Then proceeds to isolate Rob for exactly 5 minutes working on just El Prez.

Long story short, that bast&$#}* Rob now has a 3.8 dry El Pres. And he made it looke easy. EASY

Great thing is the average bump in time from dry to live now gets both of us in the GM zone.

Another note. These gains are made sometimes with a completely new technique. So my thinking is, once burned into the subconscious, if I do my part, the end result will be PHENOMENAL!!!!

Steve gets you there, proves it to you, you repeat it several times, this ain't a fluke, then you move on to the next drill. Fast paced and fun!!

Highly recommend Steve Anderson's classes. Amazing stuff.

Edited by Chris iliff

I want to make my thoughts clear. Here goes.

My biggest fear is being a "paper GM", or "M" for that matter. I want no part of that. I finish strong in A class about middle to top of the "A" open pack at a big match. 3rd Ohio state, 4th Indiana state and 3rd Michigan state in 2012. I don't consider this stellar, but it's not slouching either. I am an A open shooter.

I always refer to disciplined dryfire as "scary powerful". Here is why: dryfire will get you there, but it won't "get you there". I KNOW I can make GM, but I want to really BE a GM, not just have the card. There are lots of thoughts on that and different attitudes. That is mine.

So I believe that dryfire is a great tool for the toolbox. Not, THE tool, just one of them. I believe Steve Anderson is the DEAL when it comes to dryfire. Months, perhaps years can be taken off the progression to GM using dryfire. But you need to use all the tools if you really want to be a GM when you get there.

I also believe that Mr. Anderson understands this also, maybe not how I wrote it out, but he gets my fear.

In addition, I believe people misunderstand Steve. Steve does not sell a "magic bullet", nothing could be farther from the truth. Steve STRESSED livefire, 400 rounds a week. Steve stresses the mental side, we all know he loves Bassham for the mental game. Steve stressed to know exactly what mode of practice you are in. Mode you say? Yeah, mode. I wont steal Steves modes, he can explain them better anyway. It is all in the toolbox and the WHOLE toolbox gets you there.

Dryfire is one tool that Steve Anderson literally wrote the book(s) on. If you want this tool, and you are going to need it, Steve is the man. Hands down, no exceptions, Mr. Anderson is it!!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

• 4 weeks later...

It's been awhile. I've gotten some stuff done, but not anything shooting related. I did purchase Ben Stoeger's new book on dry fire. I read it cover to cover. Basically, I like to see a variety in drills, I get bored easy. Ben's book has a bunch I haven't seen before. In this aspect the book is a good purchase.

Although, Ben makes a point of leaving out "tracking sheets" and gives his reasoning, I can't say I agree 100%. Other than some different drills, all the pertinent info is not new. This is not ground breaking information, and truthfully, I knew it wasn't going to be. As stated, I like variety in my drills and Ben does that in this book.

I'm glad I got the book for the different drills I haven't seen before. If I was going to suggest dry fire and some books, i would recommend Steve Anderson's as MUST HAVE. Then, when you have burnt yourself out, I'd say buy Stoeger's for additional variety.

Shamed by the young guns, I gunned up tonight. Some light dry fire checking my times and happy to report they still are just about what I got at Anderson's class. This is totally on me. I just haven't grooved in a routine as of yet. I have been busy with life and all. I printed my Ohio State app. Haven't sent it anywhere.

Dry fire spitting distance and then 7 yards. Also two reload two and then set a stage up. Stage went down the hall and utilized 2 poppers in the bathroom, an open target at the end of the hall and then 2 partials and an open target in the bedroom. Breaking 5 sec and maintaining dot discipline was tuff. I got several runs right at 5 sec.

Also did some short movement gun up stuff on 2 targets. I threw in a reload between them on some runs. Reloads felt crappy at first, but smoothed out towards the end.

All this made me want to actually fire the gun!!!! If the weather holds this weekend I will probably gun up and get some live fire on.

If anyone reads this and wants to come over, give me a call. We can get some January shooting in.

Yes, yes I can do that. Thanks for the encouragement. Listened to your Jan 16th podcast, good stuff. I really liked the one podcast with the Bill Seevers interview. That guy is a great shooter and has probably forgotten more than I'll ever know. I liked the back and forth you two had, and the resolution.

Is there a podcast with Flex? If not I'd love to hear one!

Edited to add: I did SA's drills 1 through 3. Took longer than 10 mins because I was getting that movie martial art sound smoking the draw and was grooving. Happy to say that looking at my old par times I thought, Geez, I was slow. I have a complete different attitude about dry fire than I use to have. There is so much going on when doing dry fire. I now concentrate on grip strength. Also the dot. I am very conscious of grabbing that dot ASAP with my eyes and then settling in for a good "A" call. I also listen to Steve and what he wrote. Not every drill is about smashing the trigger, you got to know where the drill wants your focus.

Edited by Chris iliff

• 4 weeks later...

Chad came over. We shot some drills today. Worked on transitions. I'm terribly slow. Did some one shot draws to my plate machine at 10 yards. I'm right at 1.20 for a guarantee hit. I can go Down as low as 1sec, but honestly, those were luck and misses half the time.

We did some man on man. 3 plates then a popper centered below the plate machine. It was fun. I think we just about split them. We did one run with a mandatory reload and Chad edged me out.

Chad had his new to him STI Trubore. It ran good. Had a case separation. Junk brass. He has gotten tons better due to his dedicated Dryfiring. He had way more rounds than me so he shot more. Really working on transitions. He also did a lot of one shot draws. This is where I see some huge improvements from him. Consistently out and A hits at ten yards from 1 to 1.15. He had a string of 1.06's to the head box for 5-6 in a row. Damn kids making me nervous!!!!

It was a good day, I froze, but fun stuff.

I checked my supply's and I am gonna get pinched. I've got 15,000 primers, 4 pounds of powder and roughly 1,000 bullets. The bullets are critical. I'm kinda stuck wanting to shoot and practice and not wanting to run out of components.

I've decided to not shoot any majors and focus on 2-3 locals a month. I will probably work some of the big matches and give back a little this summer.

If things like bullets and primers and powder loosen up a bit I'll rethink things and shoot more. If not, I'll stick to my plan and work transitions, and core skills, conserving my components and making Master should be attainable. I just need to be smart about my strategy.

Dang I really want to shoot. It sucks when the component market goes haywire. I got a little taste of shooting yesterday after several months of not and I want to get back in the swing.

I noticed some key things with Chad yesterday and would just love to spend some time with the gun and live fire.

Chris if you want to practice without expending your ammo/components, why not use your .22 gun? Over the Winter I picked up about 5,000 .22s and I've been practicing with mine alot lately. It really helps with the draws, reloads, and transitions. Not so much with the splits since there's very little recoil, but shooting plates & steel works quite well. In fact I shot mine in a steel match Saturday and had a ton of fun! It's amazing how fast you can shoot 100 rounds when you're shooting .22 PLUS there's no Loading or picking up brass!!!! :) I think I'm going to shoot more steel matches this season to enable me to continue to shoot the .22 Open gun more. Which in turn enables me to shoot more Major ammo in matches. Even though I have plenty of components I still don't want to waste them.

In fact ...... if you really want to shoot majors, do the reverse of what you said above ...... shoot LESS local matches, and MORE majors. If you keep the practice up in the backyard, and save the $ and ammo you would expend at local matches (gas, ammo, and match fees can easily creep up to $50 a local match) then you would have more to use for majors. Thats what alot of the big dogs do.

Edited by Chris Keen

As always Sensei, sound advice, thanks.

Thanks Esther!!! I do love this sport.

I'm also dealing with a laid off wife, plus she is in school full time. Shooting the closest two locals is very doable economically speaking.

Got the .22 fixed (it had a broken extractor) got to put the Cmore back on it. Had it off when mine took a dump. Everything is back and fixed now.

Edited by Chris iliff

• 2 weeks later...

First, I can't even find .22's. that sucks!!!!

Tomorrow, stepping up to CRO!!! Brent at Warsaw set up a class and I've got a spot. I have been an RO for years and have acted as lead RO on some stages at some fairly big matches (300+ shooters). Time to make this official and certifiable. I am kinda excited about this. I did not work many of the big matches last year, except locals, those I almost always RO a squad. Kinda burned out on the big matches the previous 4 years.

So with a year off the big matches I feel like working some of them this year and getting my CRO is a good thing!

First up, Indiana SS, PROD, REV. Don't know what I'll work next, but I know what's first, lol!!!

Chris, I love your enthusiasm for USPSA after nine years of shooting. I am rooting for you to make and be a "legit" GM.

When you get there, you can help me to make it too! :D

This is very nice. I am constantly reminded on the range about all the great people and friendships this sport allows us. I wanted to take the time and say more than just "thanks". If I am anything, it's a shooter. I do love it. It gives me something back that I've come to realize is more than just what I put in during practice. It gives me a friend I have never met in person.

Yes, yes, yes. I would help anyone get to where they want to go with shooting. I envy guys like Steve Anderson & Bill Seevers, they have helped make some outstanding GM 's, someday I'd like to be that way too!

In the meantime, I do have some knowledge, so feel free to ask me anything.

Chris, that is so nice. Thank you! I too am so grateful for all the friends I have made and am making through shooting - and I'm only just starting! :-)

Re: being like SA and BS - you can and will, if you want to! I think we also all owe a lot to Brian, without whose forum and example many of these friendships, connections, and mentoring relationships might never have developed.

What do you love about shooting?