Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fifty Years of Math 1957 - 2007(in the USA)

Paul Santiago

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In The 1950s: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In The 1960s: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In The 1970s: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In The 1980s: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In The 1990s: A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok.)

6. Teaching Math In 2010: Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

I remember when the cashier used to count your change up to equal what you gave them.

Give a $5 for $ 1.52, you'd hear: 53, 54, 55, 65, 75, $2, $3, $4, $5 as she/he counted the pennies/nickels, dimes and quarters to get you up to folding money and then count up the folding money to equal what you gave. Then you have the opportunity to put your change in your pocket, the bills in your wallet and take the receipt from them, they then, shock of shocks, used say THANK YOU for shopping at XXX (XXX Not to be confused with either an adult emporium or a liquor store, unless that is where you were actually shopping)

Now with the advent of electronic cash registers the clerks don't need to count, be thankful because most of them can't count. Heck stores are even doing away with cashiers. Self-Check-out. You scan it, bag it and pay for it. I refuse.

Jim

I worked as a pizza delivery driver for ~10 years; nothing reinforces simple math like counting change. Like OP says, clerks get completely lost without the box telling them the proper change. I've actually had to 'witness' for a customer in front of me when he had to tell the clerk what change he should get back!

hell i use the self checkout if/when i can for the simple fact i dont have to worry about dealing high school kids who cant count change. I can get thru the self checkout with 10 items faster than people go thru the regular checkout with 4 or 5 items.

You forgot the late-90s, early double-aughts version:

You're an 11th grader and you and your 18-year-old, 11th grade boyfriend have been enjoying the 2-dozen wine coolers your boyfriend bought for $18.67 with his 23-year-old brother's ID. Your boyfriend also spent $5.63 on a box of condoms that you asked him to buy. One thing leads to another and you tell your boyfriend to put on a condom. He says he'll pull out and you two start into the horizontal mambo without a prophylactic. How long until your mother becomes a grandmother?

When I was a Army recruiter fast food restraunts were frequent hunting grounds, we called that the fast food ASVAB, right after the drawer opened we would come out with the oh I have a nickel, If the clerk stood there dumbfounded we moved on if they figured it out, Bingo, prospect,

hell i use the self checkout if/when i can for the simple fact i dont have to worry about dealing high school kids who cant count change. I can get thru the self checkout with 10 items faster than people go thru the regular checkout with 4 or 5 items.

+1 to the self checkouts