Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading to division capacity, right or wrong way?

NewColonial

Is there a preferred or proper method for loading to 10 + 1? I have 15 round mags for my P226. Not sure if it matters. Would I insert a spare mag, chamber a round, remove the mag and insert one with 10 rounds? Or perhaps load the starting mag with 11, and the rest with 10? OR, remove the first mag and top off? What to folks generally do?

Yea, over analyzing I'm sure, but I wouldn't want to tick of the RO as I'm getting started. :-)

Edited to fix the semantic confusion right pointed out by GrumpyOne.

Edited by NewColonial

If you use an 11-round magazine to start, tell the SO you're loading 11. Keep it separate and mark it as your first mag. Don't get caught using it if the COF calls for an unloaded gun start. I shoot CDP, so I can only do it one way. You do what you're comfortable with.

edited to add: either way is fine. SO not RO. Keep your Safety Officer informed and you'll be fine.

Edited by Steve J

Is there a preferred or proper method for loading to 10 + 1? I have 15 round mags for my P226. Not sure if it matters. Would I insert a spare mag, chamber a round, remove the mag and insert one with 10 rounds? Or perhaps load the starting mag with 11, and the rest with 10? Remove the first mag and top off? What to folks generally do?

Yea, over analyzing I'm sure, but I wouldn't want to tick of the RO as I'm getting started. :-)

If you do what's in bold above, you'd be cheating (I think), as your first mag you had with 11 in it, now has one in the gun (10 in the mag), and if you top it off, it's back to 11. You stated the rest had 10 in them already....

Semantics, I know, but someone was gonna say it.....

I'm sure loading the first with 11 is the way to go...

Edited by GrumpyOne

Is there a preferred or proper method for loading to 10 + 1? I have 15 round mags for my P226. Not sure if it matters. Would I insert a spare mag, chamber a round, remove the mag and insert one with 10 rounds? Or perhaps load the starting mag with 11, and the rest with 10? Remove the first mag and top off? What to folks generally do?

If you do what's in bold above, you'd be cheating (I think), as your first mag you had with 11 in it, now has one in the gun (10 in the mag), and if you top it off, it's back to 11. You stated the rest had 10 in them already....

No your not cheating as all your mags will have the same amount of rounds in them after the beep. You can't be called cheating for having a 11 round start mag when you can't have 11 rounds in the gun after the beep anyway. Now if you shoot 12 times with out a reload then yeah.

Like Steve said...

I keep my 11 round mag in a special "starter mag only" pocket, where no other mags go ever. I've kept myself procedural free for many years now with this technique.

I've also laughed my ass off several times when friends have shot 12 round stages without a reload, then look around with wonder when they get "the finger." It's usually because they chose to "barney load" and then put in an 11 round mag.

Good times.

Koski

No your not cheating as all your mags will have the same amount of rounds in them after the beep. You can't be called cheating for having a 11 round start mag when you can't have 11 rounds in the gun after the beep anyway. Now if you shoot 12 times with out a reload then yeah.

Re-read the original post. He said "perhaps load the starting mag with 11, and the rest with 10? Remove the first mag and top off" . If he loaded all mags with 10, except for the first, which he loaded with 11, then removed the first mag and topped it off, then that mag will have 11 in it (+ 1 in the gun, total of 12).

I did re-read it and he edit it to clarify it better but I knew what he ment. He was giving 3 options: Have a 11 round mag to start, Barney up and insert a 10 rounder, or Chamber a round from a 10 rounder and add a another round to that mag. None of those would be illegal.

Edited by Duane Thomas

If you've got magazines that will hold 11, by all means use that as your load and make ready mag. Just don't get them mixed up, and don't use a mag with 11 rounds in it for an empty gun start.

I've recently started shooting ESP with a 9mm 1911 (mags hold only 10 rounds), and having to top off at load and make ready is an annoying extra step.

Just remember to download that 11 rnd starter mag to the division capacity of 10 rnds if the CoF calls for a start position where the gun is unloaded (i.e. START: Gun unloaded and sitting on the end table next to your easy chair...).

But I shoot in CDP, so what do I know about loading to 11....?

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to avoid any confusion with the SO, and unnecessary fumbling with mags. It seems have a "starting" mag loaded with 11 is the easiest. Keeping in mind not to load that extra round until I'm on deck and am sure of the start to avoid getting in trouble with an empty gun start.

Thanks.

Good Morning,

I prefer to only load 10 rounds in all of my magazines. I take four magazines to the line. When instructed, I remove the first mag from my pouch and practice a slide lock reload. Then I remove the second mag from my pouch and practice a tactical reload. I pull two fresh mags from another pocket and fill my pouches.

With this method, I do not have to keep track of the special magazine, and I will not get caught with any mags over capacity on an empty gun start. I also get those two practice reloads right before the buzzer.

But then, I shoot revolver most of the time so what do I know.

I have two visual checks on my "start" mag. It is loaded to 11 rounds and it has a different basepad so that it does not get confused with the "10" round mags. For the 11 th (top round), I use nickel plated brass. If it is a stage that starts with an empty gun and therefore can only have 10 rounds, I remove the nickel plated round.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have only 10-round mags, and prefer not to run a stage with a Barney mag in my pocket.

I draw a mag from my pocket and use it to chamber the first round. I then tac-reload (good practice) with a mag out of my carrier, and then holster the weapon. I'm now left with a 9-round mag, which I will either leave it as is and put it as the rear-most mag in my mag pouch, or top it off and put it in my mag pouch.

I usually am a freak about making sure my mags are always loaded to capacity, but for local matches I realized that being an Expert in ESP, 30 rounds is going to really offer me nothing over 29 rounds. If that one final round makes a difference, I'm not winning anyway. :D

Edited by Gryff

I have only 10-round mags, and prefer not to run a stage with a Barney mag in my pocket.

I draw a mag from my pocket and use it to chamber the first round. I then tac-reload (good practice) with a mag out of my carrier, and then holster the weapon. I'm now left with a 9-round mag, which I will either leave it as is and put it as the rear-most mag in my mag pouch, or top it off and put it in my mag pouch.

I usually am a freak about making sure my mags are always loaded to capacity, but for local matches I realized that being an Expert in ESP, 30 rounds is going to really offer me nothing over 29 rounds. If that one final round makes a difference, I'm not winning anyway. :D

While you might think you are not gaining any competitive advantage by having a magazine with 9 rounds in it, you are breaking the rules. And while likely no one will ever find out, you need to ensure all your magazines are loaded to division capacity or you have earned yourself a procedural.

I've recently started shooting ESP with a 9mm 1911 (mags hold only 10 rounds), and having to top off at load and make ready is an annoying extra step.

I use a 10 round mag at LAMR, but use 9 round mags for everything else. Keeps me from having to do the "mag shuffle" at the line.

Gryff: Your method is the only "wrong" method I've seen in this thread.

Yep, but a local match SO would have to be a schmuck to call me on it. And it is easy enough to stick one round back into the final mag to make it legal.