Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Need a Compressor for work bench

S&W627shooter

I need to buy an air compressor for my work bench for chores like blowing out my guns after cleaning, filling up my car/motorcycle tires, and blowing the spilled powder out of my Dillon. Do I need more than a 2 gallon tank? I would like to hide it under my work bench.

Thanks for the input,

Chris

Edited by S&W627shooter

I need to buy an air compressor for my work bench for chores like blowing out my guns after cleaning, filling up my car/motorcycle tires, and blowing the spilled powder out of my Dillon. Do I need more than a 2 gallon tank? I would like to hide it under my work bench.

Thanks for the input,

Chris

Check harbour freight they have a 2 hp one for about $90 that will do the job. The compressors are good but the air tanks rust thru if you don't keep it drained. If you can't carry it well then get a two wheeler and you are in business.

Just about anything will work for your purpose, except maybe an air brush compressor. If I were in the market for just a workbench compressor, one of my priorities would be low noise level.

The size of the tank determines how often the compressor has to start to fill the tank. The HP determines how much volume of air (CFM = Cubic Feet per Minute) at a given PSI rating, that the compressor will supply while running. Look for this rating when you compare different models. For simple stuff like you described, a 3/4 hp will be sufficient and will not tax standard wall socket power at the loading bench (usually 15 amp rated). If you need to run power tools, or paint sprayers, don't bother with anything smaller then 3 hp and at least 20 gallon tank. No matter what size compressor you choose, it is going to be noisier then you would like it to be. One thing that makes more noise then others is the RPM for the pump. A direct drive pump to motor usually runs at 3600 rpm to make them small and effective for their size, but at the expense of noise. A belt driven pump will be running at a much slower rpm then the motor and will be quieter.

Check out the deal they have going on right now at Harbor Freight. It is a compressor that has a vertical tank on it, with enough volume for me to run a spray gun in a booth using a HVLP type gun. I think it was 159.00 out the door, but it runs about 200.00 normally. It will do for what you need and more. It has an oil resevoir for the piston which usually means a longer life for the compressor. I was suprised at the quality when I got it back to my bosses shop. it is easy to move, doesn't take up alot of space like the horizontal tanks do, and manages to keep up with the sprayer. Plus, you can take it to jobs if you need to, or roll it around to wherever you need it as far as your extension cord will reach.

Just a thought. I know you are looking for something not too big, but compressors are one of those things that you get a small one, and wish you had gotten a bigger one after all.

You really don't want one of the direct drive units in the shop. They buzz and vibrate irritatingly. Spend the extra money and get one with the separate compressor that's belt driven by an electric motor. I use a 20 gallon tank unit in the race car trailer and we mount and fill huge tires, blow off dust and dirt, run impact wrenches and it does run a lot when filling an 18" wide x 33" tall tire, or removing the 20 little bolts that hold the wheel together, but it's not so loud that it drives you nuts. There's a 50 gallon, 5 hp direct drive in a room next to my shop and when it kicks on you can't hear yourself think. Juan is right, once you start with air, you'll add more. I think I paid almost $300 for mine, the quiet is worth it.

If you're getting a smaller compressor, try to look for one with two air outlets. I rarely use two tools at one time, but from time to time I'll hook up a "volume tank" to the other outlet. A handyman friend of mine taught me this trick. It's a cheap way to make a small compressor act like a bigger one when you need it.

Basically you get a cheap 7 gallon tire filler tank from Harbor Freight or Walmart or something and replace the hose and chuck that comes on it with a hose that will accept a standard 1/4 inch quick disconnect fitting. You then need to make two adapters. First put an air chuck on a male adapter to use when airing up tires. Next put two male adapters together to make a coupler. When you need some extra air volume like when running a paint spray gun or something you just use this to connect the volume tank to one of the outlets on your compressor. This probably doesn't make much sense but I'll take a picture of mine at lunch so you can see what I'm talking about.

Mostly agree with all the previous comments. Two things I can add from experience.

It is VERY easy to buy too small a compressor.

You will hate the noise in your gun room / basement.

After several other methods over the years, I now have a large compressor in my shop (outside) and ran a small 1/4" plastic line to an 3 gallon tank in my gun room. Got all the air I need for gun work and NO noise.

Just my .02

Sherwyn

I would get an oil-lubed, rather than an oil-free, compressor.

The oil-lubed is quieter than a oil-free. But both are loud at night.

I like Sherwyn's dual tank setup.

Craftsman puts their little 2 gallon, oil lubricated compressor on sale several times a year for $79. That's what I've got under my bench. I've got a big compressor in the barn for the big jobs, but this one is perfect for small jobs.