Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training with T.J.

PaulW

Got to jump into a 3 day class with Todd Jarret, and let me tell you it was worth every second. Just a few of the things I learned was worth it's weight in gold. I know sooo much more now than I did. Todd is super fun to work with and tell it like it is with out any BS. If you ever get a chance jump at it, it will help you excel to the next level, as long as you willing to work at it.

Everything Paul said and then some!

Todd made us do things that I would never have even considered possible. I still can't believe that we did that "dueling field courses" thing.

We had a great group of guys and I was not worried about my safety despite the possibilities of the situations that we were in.

Leo

Shred is right, but we all learn from each other.

The one thing about Todd is that he will answer ANY question, as honest as he can. Plus some of his stories are a big laugh. Quite the character. Todd pulls no strings and tells it like it is.

Two of Todd's favorite quotes;

- "Ready Cuz?"

- "I'm here to tell ya'"

Again his techniqes are simple and you say "wow" thats easy. Easy in the sense that it was simple and you can work at it to master. His strong hand weak hand was the sh*t!!

Bill,

It was the Competition II 3 day course.

Paul was the "teachers pet" (and only GM in attendance) which makes him the butt of all of Todd's jokes and the object of constant harassment by Todd. I'll bet Paul loved every minute of it!

Leo

TDean,

What do you mean?

Ok, here's a piece of insight. Our sport ain't really jack about shooting, but efficiency of movement.

You knew that already though right??

Ok, TJ expressed that this is how he makes his living and people are always trying to get stuff out of him. He no longer hands out practice techniques because people would sell them.

Make sense?

PM me with specific questions and I'll do what I can.

Ok, here's a piece of insight. Our sport ain't really jack about shooting, but efficiency of movement.

True for you, for me, for Todd, for a lot of shooters around A class and up. But for a lot of other shooters, it's all about the shooting.

Most of what I got out of the TJ class I took was correction on individual stuff I was doing. Like "How long have you been a Weaver guy?" or "Get the gun UP in front of your face"...

The whole class may go to the line and shoot at 50 yards, but all of them will probably get something different in instruction and experience.

I hate it when I've been working on draws in live fire, dry fire, practicing in a mirror, every which way, and then do two in front of a GM and have them say "No, no, you need to do it like this" and thus chop a tenth right off. Grr.

Shred,

I hear ya man. I thought I had a pretty good draw. I can get down into the .8xx at 7-10 yards once I warm up. Cold I'm just under a second, not bad right? In Todd's class he really was all over my "roller coaster draw". To prove a point he had me start with my hand on my gun, parcially out of the holster (extreme Holster). He started with his in holster, arms relaxed at side. Buzzer goes off he beats me to the first shot!!!

DAMNITMAN!!!!!

Now I hit the target and he shot high, he said he knew he'd have to "gofurit" in order to beat me. But still!!!

Another wonderful thing about the class is that Todd told you what to do, why it would help and then demonstrated to prove it was faster, better, etc.. No leap of faith required.

The incident with Paul and TJ draw contest was a hoot. We all KNEW Paul was going to smoke TJ given the head start. Tj was wearing a carry style holster and Paul had been clicking off .8-.9 draws left and right while TJ criticized him on nearly every one. I think TJ hit like a .6xx or .7xx draw to prove his point. The guy was NEVER arrogant and was just "one of the guys".

Leo

A question for the people who took the TJ class.

Is there any comparison between attending the class in person and watching one of the training tapes offered by other Grand Masters?

I guess i was wondering if you see the same tips on the tapes as you do in person, why it doesn't have the same benefit/impact.

Thanks JFS

To go over all the details, all the questions that were asked, would take up many, many DVD's. Plus you don't have the instructor showing you, and telling you what you are doing wrong. I never knew I "roller coastered" the gun out to the target as Todd showed me. The tapes and DVD's are a good start, but you only get a very small portion of what you would get in a live class.

The difference between a $40 video and $200 class is the live feedback from somebody that can really see just what you're doing. Videos are great for learning things, but it can be very hard to see and know yourself and what you're doing. Sometimes that's worth five times the price.

I know several people that have said: "I made GM, M or A" all by myself ... why do I need a class now?" In Todds words, "I'll cut 5 years off the time that it would take you to figure this stuff out using the trial and error method."

The majority of the folks in the class were M shooters and NOBODY felt that they did not get their money's worth. Paul is a GM (and not a paper GM, a good one) and he learned tons of stuff. One guy made a comment that he could not believe he made it to M knowing so little about the game.

I thought that I was doing things right until he brought the mistakes to my attention. If I had watched a video I would assume that I was still doing stuff right. You need the feedback from the Pro.

Leo

Some interesting comments have been made. Guess the old saying "your never too old to learn" really means something when you are able to free your mind and soak up knowledge and experience from others. Pride is one of the largest stumbling blocks in the learning process. Admitting that you make mistakes is a big step forward...its what we do the next time given the same conditions or environment that matters! Someone mentioned that the information should not be passed on to others....hmmm - TJ may actually benefit from his students passing information down to potential new students, would you agree?

Sterling

• 1 month later...

I would love to take Todd's class, I contacted Shooting Express on his website(Phone message and email), and I got no reponse. Is there another way to contact them?

Also, since I'm solo I would love piggy-back with any group taking his class. Let me know locations and when.

BerKim and Truegent,

Short Round heard a rumor that TJ might be teaching at the next Best of the Best match in Reno (I remember seeing him there last year). SR and I are thinking about taking the course as well as shooting the match, but so far I haven't got any info on match dates, and whether TJ is going or not, and whether the class is full.

Even if he isn't scheduled yet, if that weekend is open for him, the four of us already make up half the minimum class size (though I don't know where you actually are, Truegent).

Think about it and get back to me. And if you have match date info, I'd like to know (haven't heard back from Johnny yet)

Kevin C.

I would love to take Todd's class, I contacted Shooting Express on his website(Phone message and email), and I got no reponse. Is there another way to contact them?

Also, since I'm solo I would love piggy-back with any group taking his class. Let me know locations and when.

He could very well be on the road.