Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

wolff guide rod and springs

OkieZombies

It's subjective. In practice I think there's a huge difference in heavy bullets and a reduced power recoil spring. In a match I never notice.....

As far as guiderods go, I've played with polymer, steel and tungsten -- and again, in a match, I can't tell a difference anymore....

I'm running Wolff steel guiderods at the moment, because their springs run smoothest on them, and I like their 14 lb. springs for the 9mm....

I played around with three different guide rods and spring weights recently when I was setting up a new G35 for Limited. Like Nik said, it's purely a subjective thing, but I was able to find a preference based on my hit factor while shooting bill drills.

I used the stock OEM recoil guide rod with the 17 lb stock spring, an ISMI steel rod w/ 13 and 15 lb ISMI springs, and a Jager polymer rod with the same ISMI springs.

At the end of the day I was consistently getting the fastest time and most alpha with the 15 lb spring, but didn't see any appreciable difference between the ISMI or Jager rods in my times or accuracy. That said, I left the ISMI rod in there for Limited Div, but will switch to the Jager if I ever decide to shoot the Glock in IDPA. The 13 lb spring felt like the gun was "all over the place", 17 lb stock spring was fine, but the strings with the 15 lb spring were consistently the best.

I've never used a steel guide rod in a Glock, but I didn't notice any difference using a tungsten rod vs. stock. However in a 1911, I notice a large difference between tungsten and a shorty plug (but the rod is much bigger/heavier). Regarding the springs, I use an ISMI 13# and the recoil actually feels more harsh than with the stock spring but the recoil only lasts an instant. It's hard to explain. The pistol bangs back harder yet I can get back on target quicker with the light spring. Springs are cheap, buy one and play with it and you'll see what I mean.

With glocks one part to consider is the added weight of non-plastic rods. You also get different timing and ejection distances with different spring rates. I run a tungsten rod with 13 or 14 lbs springs on a glock 35. The plastic rods will break but only with super high round count way above 10,000.

It's subjective. In practice I think there's a huge difference in heavy bullets and a reduced power recoil spring. In a match I never notice.....

As far as guiderods go, I've played with polymer, steel and tungsten -- and again, in a match, I can't tell a difference anymore....

I'm running Wolff steel guiderods at the moment, because their springs run smoothest on them, and I like their 14 lb. springs for the 9mm....

I 2nd that, their springs feel the smoothest forsure. They dont last as long as flat wires Ive noticed though?

I 2nd that, their springs feel the smoothest forsure. They dont last as long as flat wires Ive noticed though?

The 14 lb. Wolff springs seem to last forever in my production blasters -- certainly longer than the 13 lb. ISMI springs did. That may have more to do though with the 13s being marginal for the gun/load and the 14s being closer to appropriate.....

I'm running stock recoil springs in my Limited (major pf) Glocks....

The 14 lb. Wolff springs seem to last forever in my production blasters -- certainly longer than the 13 lb. ISMI springs did. That may have more to do though with the 13s being marginal for the gun/load and the 14s being closer to appropriate.....

I change my springs out every 4k or so. I run the standard 17 pound springs in my limited guns. Ive never had an issue with a older spring but I have noticed when pulling the slide back an inch or so and letting slide lock back up seems like they loose some tension over time?

Edited by WildWest N AZ

I change my springs out every 4k or so. I run the standard 17 pound springs in my limited guns. Ive never had an issue with a older spring but I have noticed when pulling the slide back an inch or so and letting slide lock back up seems like they loose some tension over time?

Does a person always need to install the reduced firing pin spring as well that comes with the Wolff sets? I just got some springs and was wondering if most people switch both springs.

The correct combination of springs are needed to keep your Glock running.

1. If it runs don't fix it.

2. A reduced power striker spring should be paired with an extra power trigger spring.

3. Do not use an extra power striker spring with reduced power recoil springs.

4. Bad things happen to Glocks with bad spring jobs. Be careful.

:cheers:

1. If it runs don't fix it.

If you know what you're doing, you can indeed "fix" it and it will still run.

2. A reduced power striker spring should be paired with an extra power trigger spring.

I understand the theory, but if can get my trigger pulls down under 3 pounds with a standard trigger spring - and I do - I've never really seen the advantage to the extra power trigger spring. Of course, I may one day change my mind on that one. :lol:

3. Do not use an extra power striker spring with reduced power recoil springs.

I've run a standard firing pin spring with a 13-pound ISMI spring without a problem. Never really even been tempted to try an extra power firing pin spring.

4. Bad things happen to Glocks with bad spring jobs. Be careful.

Just out of curiosity, what bad things have you personally experienced or actually seen?

:mellow:

Were to begin.

I've reduced the power of a striker spring so much that it did not strike the primer, but merely spoke harshly to it.

I can disable G35 with light recoil springs. Especially coupled with custom match ammo.

The trimmed spring from a ink pen makes for a poor safety plunger spring replacement even though people on the internet say you can.

Factory mag springs should not be stretched to prolong their life.

Duane, this has been a little embarrassing but, oddly freeing. Thank you.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...