Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Area Match

Sarge

Shooting Area 6 this coming weekend. I've had pretty good mentoring on this already. Pretty sure I have the bases covered. I'll be prepared for most any weather. My gear is in order, etc. I really just plan to shoot the match as I would any other.

What I am looking for is any out of the ordinary, or "oddball" , or trivial advice. What is the one little thing you took with you that made a difference? What seemingly minor thing did you do or fail to do prior to leaving that made a difference in comfort, your shooting, the overall experience, etc.

I'll post up what I learn along these lines after the match. This way maybe I can help the next guy with his first big match.

If you have the opportunity to look at stages before you're scheduled to shoot (the afternoon before?) take it. Remember to ask the CRO for permission to wander the stage -- if there's no squad present. If there's a squad shooting the stage, you can still learn stuff -- but need to stay out of the way....

If you only have time to look at some stages, try to look at the complicated ones. No one needs to look at El Prez -- though if you can watch a squad shooting speed shoots with movers you can glean useful info about timing of the movers....

Have fun. Drink throughout the day, and eat a little too. Try to avoid a big lunch....

Yup, Drink during the day. You might not shoot so well, but you won't care. What? Oh sorry, Nik probably meant water or some sort of sports drink. Drink plenty after you are done shooting, If you did well you are now celebrating, if you didn't do so well, you are now drowning your sorrows.

Seriously, Nik has offered some good advice and you gave yourself some as well. Don't let the fact that this is a "Big Match" shake you. All it is is two regular matches back to back. Oftentimes the stages are NOT as complex as the stages you shoot at home. You can many times see how people shot a stage by looking at where the skid marks and brass piles are. Do try to look at the stages as they are shot. much better than looking at them static. If this is your first big match, your squadmates might allow you to rotate down the pack a bit as well. This is one sport where people go out of their way to help people beat them.

If you are traveling a long way to the match try to do it the night before and get to bed early, DON'T DRINK. You will dehydrate quickly. The worst matches I shoot are the ones where I drive three to four hours or more in the morning to shoot an afternoon squad and then try to drive home. I am already worn out when I get there. Even if the match is local, get there in time. You need not be in a rush prepping your gear, the only timed event is the actual shooting. Even ULSC is OFF THE CLOCK!

Most of all, have a good attitude and go expecting to have fun! No one earns their living at our matches, not even the Nationals pay that much.

Jim (I have failed to follow nearly every bit of advice I have ever offered) Norman

Thanks guys. So far I have it all covered.

We'll be there to see stages run prior (check).

I've got sunblock and lots of my allergy meds (check).

I'm taking a case of Water/ sport drinks (check).

I am currently on the wagon as far as alcohol (check).

I'm starting my hydration process already (check).

Sarge, if you feel like hopping off that wagon while down in Atlanta, look me up. I'll be working stage 11. smile.gif

One thing that surprised me at the SC State match last weekend was how many people had FTEs on the stages where a lot of targets were only visible from certain places. I did notice that many of the top guys used their whole five minutes to keep rehearsing their plans whereas many beginners (like me) thought they had it down after a few walk-throughs and then skipped a target when it really mattered.

Edited by High Lord Gomer

There may be higher production value (read: glitzier looking stages, vendor tents, lots more people, etc), but it's a pistol match just like every single local match you shoot. The shots are no harder than those you tend to see at home. Have you ever seen Hoosiers? Remember the scene where Hackman takes the guys out on to the court and has them measure the height to the basket, etc? Same deal...

The only thing you're likely to are a few target presentations you haven't seen before (usually, movers). Identify what they are, and how to manage them, and they're no big deal.

Otherwise... it's just a match like any other. Just go do it.

I've got sunblock and lots of my allergy meds (check).

Allergy meds: Know if they make you drowsy. Take them if you think/know you'll need them. If they dehydrate you, plan to compensate by drinking more water....

If you wake up during the night before the match, sip a little water. When you get up in the morning, work on drinking a liter of water in the first hour you're up. That'll work to counteract the dehydration that takes place as we sleep. Keep drinking as the day goes on.

Like others have said its just another back-to-back local match. The shots are no harder than the stuff you guys put together at Circleville!

+100 for sure, some of the toughest stages I have ever shot have been at Circleville you should be ok.

Take every change you get to sitdown and rest, it will be a long day.

Help set and past, but when you are "on deck" stand back and make you finial preparation for the stage.

When finished with shooting a stage and you have checked and signed you score sheet, prepare all you equipment for the next stage before you do anything else.

Don't let others in the squad dominate the walk through. Does not happen very often but it can if you let it.

THe RO's are there to help, but if you do not like a call, ask for the CRO, and then the RM if needed.

If you do not understand anything about the walkthrough or are unsure weather you can do something, ask, be specific with the question to the RO.

Have FUN!!

MDA

Put extra socks in your range bag.

If you have a long drive home after the match, clean socks and loose, comfy shoes will make that a much better experience. A clean shirt is also a pretty good idea, as are a couple of washcloths and a towel to wash off the sunscreen in the parking lot.....

If you're staying over and have access to a shower in the vicinity of the range, feel free to disregard the above....

Sarge, you are among friends. You're not alone on this trip. :)

Just remember that no matter whether you forgot your sunscreen, or it's pouring down raining, it doesn't matter. The only thing that really matters is .............. the shot you are taking right now. Shoot well. Everything else is superfluous.

As long as you bring 4 things: 1.Gun 2.Bullets 3.Mags 4.Belt/Holster ... anything else can be bought/begged/or borrowed at the last minute if need be. I've driven to more matches than I can count where I had to make a quick stop at Wal-Mart or the local grocery store to pick up water, or bananas, or sunscreen, or an umbrella, or whatever. Just shoot well.

You'll do fine Kevin. This ain't your first match. ;)

Sarge, you are among friends. You're not alone on this trip. :)

Just remember that no matter whether you forgot your sunscreen, or it's pouring down raining, it doesn't matter. The only thing that really matters is .............. the shot you are taking right now. Shoot well. Everything else is superfluous.

As long as you bring 4 things: 1.Gun 2.Bullets 3.Mags 4.Belt/Holster ... anything else can be bought/begged/or borrowed at the last minute if need be. I've driven to more matches than I can count where I had to make a quick stop at Wal-Mart or the local grocery store to pick up water, or bananas, or sunscreen, or an umbrella, or whatever. Just shoot well.

You'll do fine Kevin. This ain't your first match. ;)

Yeah, I know Chris. I feel pretty good right now about the match. I was just making sure I did not get down there and see a bunch of "thingamajigs or whatchamacallits" and say to myself, "why didn't I think to bring that?" Then come back here and post about it and have 1000 replies that say, "duh". :wacko:

The only glitch right now is my ammo. I must say I disagree with the folks who have said Solo1000 is not really all that temp sensitive. I chrono'd my loads today and found they only made 127 pf after making 130+ last month for the BITB. 65 that day almost 80 today is the only difference. I upped the charge and will hit the range again tomorrow then load them up tomorrow night. Should not be a problem.

I am taking off work Thursday to be able to get my stuff together, mow the grass and generally get caught up on stuff so I don't have anything nagging at me while I'm at the match.

See ya'll there!

The only glitch right now is my ammo. I must say I disagree with the folks who have said Solo1000 is not really all that temp sensitive. I chrono'd my loads today and found they only made 127 pf after making 130+ last month for the BITB. 65 that day almost 80 today is the only difference. I upped the charge and will hit the range again tomorrow then load them up tomorrow night. Should not be a problem.

I am taking off work Thursday to be able to get my stuff together, mow the grass and generally get caught up on stuff so I don't have anything nagging at me while I'm at the match.

See ya'll there!

Remember that the chrono that was at BITB will more than likely be the one you'll see at A6 ran by Ken.

We typically hit the wally world when we get there to pick up waters/gatoraids and what not so we don't have to pack them down there. Like Chris said pretty much everything can be had once you get there as long as you have the big 4: gun, ammo, mags, belt/holster. Everything is within 15 minutes of each other so you can get what ever you need! See ya there.

See ya'll there!

Remember that the chrono that was at BITB will more than likely be the one you'll see at A6 ran by Ken.

I figured as much. My chrono was within a pf point of his then. Thats what worries me about being so low now. I think my chrono is accurate and 127 scares me.

Vihtavuori N-320 baby! ;)

+1

We loaded 3,000 rounds for Dan today, got 700 more to go. 124gr MG CMJ's with CCI SP primers and 4.6gr N320. He'll make pf for sure with those rather he is shooting a Pro (135pf) or a full size (132pf). N320 is EXTREMELY temperature stable.

Sarge, you're shooting with us right? Me, Chris, Corey, Shaun, Dan? Heck, no amount of advice in the world can prepare you for the good times you'll have this weekend. For the first 5 minutes of a stage I am all business, then I loosen up a little. When I'm on deck I get back in game mode, rehearse, and execute when it's my turn. The little break of concentration between initial 5 minutes of walk through and break before shooting gives my mind a little bit of a break to avoid mental fatigue. If you make a mistake, learn from it, but don't beat yourself up about it. If you hear me mumbling, it's in my best Matt Cheely voice saying "you're not low enough!". Work has put a toll on my shooting this year. I'm so tired when I get home at 8 or 9 at night (better than the 3-4AM shifts I use to pull) I 'm too beat to dryfire. I think I've shot 2, maybe 3 club matches this year.

Just enjoy yourself, that's what it's all about right? We're going to have a GREAT time just shooting together as a squad. I'll have a hard time concentrating with Dan and Chris there, those 2 give me the giggles! I just wish Mike was going to be able to join. Spoke with him this evening while I was grilling some venison back straps and he's going to be stuck on a tractor planting into the wee hours of the morning.

Gatorade (because the Gators RULE!)

sunscreen

comfortable range shoes

an extra front sight (for when Dan's falls off)

one of those tongs on a stick (for picking up Corey's and Shaun's skinny mags all over the place)

a good attitude

plenty of rest Sat night (the Sunday drive home will suck)

Mags

ammo

gun

belt

I'll have tools in my range bag to fix most anything that can go wrong. If you're shooting an M&P I'll bring an extra for ya if you need a back up.

Susan and I will be leaving the match Sunday and driving up to Columbia, SC to do a LE SWAT/Sniper demo Monday so I don't know if we'll be staying for awards or not, but I'm excited about our squad, it's going to be a blast!

Well I thought I'd follow my original post up with a sort of, after action review if you will. This way maybe the next first timer will not have to ask so many questions. :cheers:

First let me say that everyones advice was pretty much right on. I can't think of a single thing I forgot or needed and did not have at the match.

First, get over the "major" hype. As others have said, it's a match like any other. You'll see lots of big name shooters and lots of good stages but other than that.....

Take a stool to sit on because the days can get pretty long at larger matches. Make sure it is armless unless you have perfected the art of getting comfortable in a chair with all your gear on. Just a camp stool is great.

Load your ammo plenty hot enough to not give chrono a second thought. I can't believe I saw and heard so much concern over chrono at a major match. Dumb!

Major matches don't guarantee perfect calls by RO's. Even some highly qualified RO's made mistakes. Pay attention and don't be afraid to question a call. I got a procedural removed by doing just that.

Get to the range early so you have plenty of time to go over things in your head. And don't be in such a hurry to leave at the end of the match.

Get to know other shooters. There are some very good people in this sport. Take a few minutes every now and then to strike up a conversation.

Keep your guns and gear safe and secure at all times. Seems like word gets around when guns are coming to town.

Lastly, watch out for the Benos moderators. They even show up at matches to keep an eye on us! They travel in groups and pretend to be friendly but I know better. :P