Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plugs or Muffs?

hawk45

My molded plugs are from EAR - http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-instamold.php

You often find them at gun shows - you can get them made on the spot. Takes about 30 minutes.

I picked up a couple pairs of these at a competition, and I have to say, I will not go back. They are comfortable and do a great job of reducing noise.

Bass

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has been stated a couple of times on this thread... in ear plugs only offer you partial protection, especially around high SPLs. I double plug when shooting (with my electronics turned off). When not shooting, I wear just the muffs w/ electronics on. If I'm RO'ing all day, or something, I'll stay double plugged w/ electronics on.

I always use plugs and muffs. I don't understand how some people shoot with just plugs. I've even seen open shooters do it. The one time I shot an open gun, it was so loud it almost hurt even double plugged. Same goes for a short AR with a Miculek break.

I have found that the plugs feel better to me. I have tried different types of muffs, but for some reason it seems like all I do when I wear them is fool with them because they hurt my outer ear. I may have a weird ear phobia or something. Anyway, plugs have always been fine with me. I am not a pro shooter, and I don't compete, so I am sure that I don't shoot as much as some of you guys, just more than the average gun user I guess. I do find myself yelling at whoever I am talking to, that gets some laughs.

I remember seeing an old episode of Shooting USA MANY years ago with Doug K shooting The Masters. He had plugs under muffs with a full face motorcycle helmet over that. With some of those guys shooting bolt action pistols chambered in belted magnum rounds I don't blame him one bit. I would have added pillows duct taped over that just to be safe.

Joe W.

Edited by joecichlid

I remember seeing an old episode of Shooting USA MANY years ago with Doug K shooting The Masters. He had plugs under muffs with a full face motorcycle helmet over that. With some of those guys shooting bolt action pistols chambered in belted magnum rounds I don't blame him one bit. I would have added pillows duct taped over that just to be safe.

Joe W.

Joe,

I shot the Masters a bunch of times, I don't ever recall anyone shooting a belted case in long range pistol. I did shoot a 250 Savage Improved for a while...3 feet of muzzle flash at noon :roflol: The stalls had sand in the dividers, I suggested to one R.O. that he might want to double up on hearing protection....he did after my first string...

Needless to say, I use plugs and muffs most of the time.

I'd like to add a big plus to the custom molded plugs. I tried a do-it-yourself kit a few years back and did not get anything useful out of it. But I had a set made at the VA/MD in May and they are fantastic. They are quieter by themselves than foam plugs and muffs put together. When the weather gets cooler I still intend to wear muffs over them though.

I used to double plug, molded earplugs/ProEars electronic muffs, until last weekend. I double plugged, turned the volume up all the way, as usual, and I couldn't hear the buzzer. I guess the plugs I just had made are too effective...:)

Joe,

I shot the Masters a bunch of times, I don't ever recall anyone shooting a belted case in long range pistol. I did shoot a 250 Savage Improved for a while...3 feet of muzzle flash at noon :roflol: The stalls had sand in the dividers, I suggested to one R.O. that he might want to double up on hearing protection....he did after my first string...

Needless to say, I use plugs and muffs most of the time.

I may have exagerated some on that. lol :unsure: To me, anything that was designed to be shot out of a rifle sounds about like a belted magnum when shot out of a pistol length barrel six feet away. LOL Many years ago I was spotting for a fellow shooter at a sil. match and while doing so I had a video camera set on a tripod, well the shooters all around us were using stuff that was so loud and concusive that it moved my tripod. Not just made it wiggle, it MOVED it, little by little with each shot.

And this is coming from a guy that shoots a .38 Super Open gun indoors. LOL :blink:

Joe W.

During practice today I tried plugs and electronic muffs together. I could still hear with the muffs turned up, but the noise level was a lot lower. I will be using both now during matches, the noise seemed less distracting and I found myself watching the sight better.

During practice today I tried plugs and electronic muffs together. I could still hear with the muffs turned up, but the noise level was a lot lower. I will be using both now during matches, the noise seemed less distracting and I found myself watching the sight better.

One of the added bonus' of double plugging if you ask me.

Joe W.

When you need a helmet for tactical carbine rifle or sniper rifle, a tactic / earmuffs eSports works best for this application. Earplugs, of course, work better, but. If you do a lot of Magnum rifle with a large amount of compression especially if you use a muzzle brake, you must double-up the use of protective caps and sleeves.

I ordered these Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=671923

Have not received them yet. I am considering doubling up and getting http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/silnatrubear.html or http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-instamold.php Any one know the pricing on the earinc custom plugs?

Has any one happend to have tried both?

At a check up I had a couple years ago, my doctor said I have poor hearing which could be a result of my allergies, also probably why I talk loud, so I am willing to make the extra effort and double up.

Daniel