Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major

RickyH

I've shot about 7k rounds of hs6 and like it... except its absolutely filthy. I have to clean the gun with a shovel.:surprise:

It runs and runs though. No signs of pressure at all at 8.3gr.

I've shot about 7k rounds of hs6 and like it... except its absolutely filthy. I have to clean the gun with a shovel.:surprise:

It runs and runs though. No signs of pressure at all at 8.3gr.

HS6 works. Dirty.

Silhoutte works just as well. Cleaner. And not as much mess during reloading.

I tried some HS6 in 9 major and found it shot very well 7.8gr w 125 ZeroJHP 1.160. I was most impressed with a 115gr a 8.8gr of HS6 it shot very soft and flat. I ran out and have not found any more, dirty and loud, I like it. I am currently shooting AA#7 in both my 9 major and 38 Super Comp guns. 10gr of AA#7 behind a 125gr Zero hits about 170pf (length set to 1.180). AA#7 is a tad cleaner than HS6. I also am running some AutoComp at 7.0gr behind a 125 Zero at 1.160 shoots almost as well as AA#7. I should mention it is a shorty with Brazos Thunder comp no holes and I run a 11# recoil spring in it. It is very soft and flat. I also tried N350 and 3N37 but found both too snappy.

Hello: HS-6 works great with the 115gr Montana Gold JHP. I ran it at 173PF and it is fairly clean up there. If you run it down at 165PF it is dirtier. I have been using Silhoutte, 3N37 and HS-6. HS-6 is the softest and very flat. The Silhoutte and 3N37 are about the same with the 3N37 running hotter and flattening primers more. I would get a pound of HS-6 and try it, you may really like it :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Been running 9.0 3N38 behind a MG 115 seated at 1.155" in my 9 Major Glock. Lots of gas to work the comp. Impressive fireball, but very flat shooting and soft in the hand.

I tried some HS-6, but never found a load I liked. Going to try some AutoComp next - just because....

I think you'll find HS-6 much softer than True Blue. It's consistent and pretty flat over 170PF. Silhouette is somewhere in between TB and HS-6 and very consistent. Shooting WSF for the moment and I really like the way it shoots but, I don't like it's sensitivity to temperature.

In my short gun with popple holes its the best I have found, and I tried most everything. Most reports seem to agree in a long gun with no holes seems to run dirty at the lower pressures.

HS-6 has worked great in my open gun for a ton of rounds. It is a little dirty but that's not really an issue. I have learned a little trick for keeping the underside of the scope mount cleaner. I've been polishing the underside of the mount with Simichrome, which makes cleanup much easier. The density of HS6 makes it an ideal 9 major powder. It also produces extremely consistent chrono results.

I agree with the others. It is the softest powder I have used. I use 9.3 grains with a MG 115jhp loaded out to 1.180 OAL. This is in a 5 inch gun with no holes. At this PF it really is not that dirty.

I agree with the others. It is the softest powder I have used. I use 9.3 grains with a MG 115jhp loaded out to 1.180 OAL. This is in a 5 inch gun with no holes. At this PF it really is not that dirty.

What PF are you getting? I was over 170 with 8.2 grains at 1.175" with a 5" gun with no extraneous holes... and filthy is an understatement. The gunk was so bad the gun would lock up after 200, 250 rounds.

I'm guessing you're in the mid to upper 180's?

What PF are you getting? I was over 170 with 8.2 grains at 1.175" with a 5" gun with no extraneous holes... and filthy is an understatement. The gunk was so bad the gun would lock up after 200, 250 rounds.

I'm guessing you're in the mid to upper 180's?

Ok Fire Ant probably has a V16 or something but with a 115gr and 8.8gr of HS6 I was at 164.4+ just short of major with a 4.25 with no popo holes. I've run HS6 in 38Super in STI and Tanfoglio and they ran after 300-400 rounds with no issues. HS6 is fine dirty and AA#7 is coarse dirty like gravel. I certainly think that with a 125gr your numbers are fair but with a 115 I would be suprised. The gun I'm running has less than 1000 rounds on a Clark Barrel, it seems to be fairly fast.

LOL, I always go back a double check this load since it does seem kind of high. I have a 5 inch storm lake and a 5 inch KKM barrel with no holes and get a nice 175 power factor. I can run 1500 plus rounds with out any problems with dirt. I only clean it because I feel like I have to every 3-4 months.

I just double checked my numbers and it was 8.4 grains, not 8.2 grains through a KKM 1:32 twist barrel with a bull comp. My mistake on the charge. Maybe it was the fine dirt my gun despised. I burnt one pound of the stuff. I couldn't shoot a Saturday night match and then a Sunday match without cleaning the gun or it locked up. I dunno, maybe I got some from an odd/old lot or something. The bottle was brand new when I bought it (the seal was still stuck) but it had some dust from sitting around. That I remember.

I went about 5 months without cleaning burning #7 and I've gone well over 1K with Silhouette without so much as a hiccup. I'm attributing my issues to the sticky carbony stuff HS-6 left all over the gun because it's the only time I've ever had an issue with a dirty gun. I remember Howard Smith saying it also caused him gun trouble.

I guess if your gun will run with it and you like it have at it. :cheers:

I'm new to the dark side (Open) and need info on the load I put together. I went and bought Longshot powder (7.2gns) and am using CCI magnum primers with 125 FMG zero bullets. The reason I went with this is it was what was available to me. Tomorrow I'll test it out for the first time. If you have used any of these components please tell me what you think.

I know the CCI primers are as hard a hell but I'm afraid that the Federal primers might be too soft. I did make up a few to try out with federal just to see. Federal primers and IMR 700x is what i use when I load for production and I never had a single issue.

Just wanting some opinions.

I'm new to the dark side (Open) and need info on the load I put together. I went and bought Longshot powder (7.2gns) and am using CCI magnum primers with 125 FMG zero bullets. The reason I went with this is it was what was available to me. Tomorrow I'll test it out for the first time. If you have used any of these components please tell me what you think.

I know the CCI primers are as hard a hell but I'm afraid that the Federal primers might be too soft. I did make up a few to try out with federal just to see. Federal primers and IMR 700x is what i use when I load for production and I never had a single issue.

Just wanting some opinions.

I use Longshot (7.5 gr) for .38 Super, using CCI small rifle primers. It's a good combo but - as the next post suggests - going with a Dawson extended firing pin relieves any anxiety about light strikes on the hard CCI primers. Becomes a non-issue.