Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How heavy is too "heavy"

DocMedic

Just before the end of the shooting season last year, I finally put together my compitition rifle together, basicaly a 20" JP upper (took 7months to get the barrel...) POF lower with a magpul PRS. and a Accupoint 1-4x mounted with a AD scout. But as I said, I was finally able to put everything together at the end of the season so I never actually had the chance to "move and shoot" with it in either a 3gun or in one of our tactical rifle matches. What I didn't realize was how much this puppy would weigh in at, a hefty 10lbs without mag. The weight is well balanced all through the rifle, but compared to what I was using before. (M&P15T w/Eotech&4xMag = 8.5lbs) It feels like a heavy sucka.

So my question, what are the PRO's and CON's on running a rifle this heavy for something like 3gun matches, I figured fatigue would be the splitting of hairs issue which I'm not really concern of... as of yet.

Edited by DocMedic

I find my heavier rifle (also a 20 in.) is actually a benefit in stages with longer distances (seems more stable/planted) and only a detriment when all the stages are close and in your face. Balance is crucial. YMMV.

:cheers:

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

I ran a setup very similar to what you describe. Then I won an 18" Saber fluted barrel and built and upper for it. The weight difference was significant. I can move through close courses faster and I don't think my long range shooting has suffered. I am thinking about shooting the heavy gun at Rocky Mountain.

Doug

My philosophy on rifles is as light as possible. With minimal recoil, there is no real advantage to a longer barrel or a heavier rifle, unless the distances are often beyond 300 yards (which I've never had the opportunity to shoot that far in an 3 gun match).

Other than for the purpose of 300-500 yard trajectory (where it gets a little flatter if you can have a few more inches of barrel and thus more velocity), I see no reason to trade off the "handiness" of a lighter rifle.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I've recently gone from a 16" with a medium barrel to a 14.5" with a pencil barrel.

I find my heavier rifle (also a 20 in.) is actually a benefit in stages with longer distances (seems more stable/planted) and only a detriment when all the stages are close and in your face. Balance is crucial. YMMV.

:cheers:

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

+1

This is really one of those topics that essentially boils down to preference. Within limits (no 20# guns) there is always a little tradeoff with respect to having a little heavier gun with a little more stability to having a lighter gun and the ability to transition it quickly. I would say for most of us there is a lot of practice that will pay greater dividends than the endless hunt for the right weight of components. A key element is the balance of the gun. For me even a heavier gun can be driven pretty hard if the weight is between my hands versus hanging out at the end of the barrel.

Yeah, it really comes down to preference. Find something in the middle weight range that feels comfortable to you and balances well.

IMHO, just like a rifle can be too heavy, they can also be too light. Stay in the middle weight range.

Erik