Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not knowing how to spell lose.

smokshwn

We all have our little pet peeves with grammar and such, but it seems that LOOSE has become a perfectly acceptable way to spell lose. It's one thing to occasionally see a mistake on a forum here and there, but this little infraction is showing up in publications that should have been proofread......

I would expound more but I think I loost my train of thought <_<

Okay, MY pet peeve (among others) is the mis-use of the apostrophe, especially the neutral possessive adjective "its":

So, in basic English how did they teach you make a noun plural?? Just add an "S."

Don't add an apostrophe + S ('s), just add an S!!! The plural of boys is not boy's. The plural of shooters is not shooter's.

Possessive adjectives? NO F--KING APOSTROPHE NEEDED. If you have trouble with "its", just remember that HIS and HERS end in "S" but do NOT have any apostrophe. Therefore, neither does ITS.

HIS, HERS, ITS--none of them take an apostrophe, OK??

The apostrophe often indicates a missing letter--commonly a contraction of noun + verb: "It is..." can be written "It's..." because it means "It is..." But if you were to say "The turbine took its time getting started.", the possessive "its" is NOT subject to use of the apostrophe. Period.

There, I finally said it. It's been ticking me off for years. <_<

Oh, and (speaking of lose/loose) there's always chose/choose. Same story, smokshwn. Thank you.

And besides all those, I'll add mine. :sight:

your/you're You're (you are) going to do something. Your spelling sucks.

their/there Over there(a place) is where you put something. Their (more than one of someone or something) spelling also suck.

I'm sure that there are other grammer problems that drive other people through the roof. :devil:

Its obvious their are some loosers who your letting get too you. :P Take my advise and losen up! :sight:

The one that bothers me most, especially on here, is advise/advice! Seems like every day somebody needs ADVISE.

Edited by Sarge

The plural of boys is not boy's. The plural of shooters is not shooter's.

Ummm, neither boys nor shooters have a plural form as they already are the plural of boy and shooter, respectively.... :devil: :devil:

What I hate most is when I miss something in proofreading my own posts.....

Don't forget "Yeah" as in yes. It is not Ya or Yay or Yea, it is Yeah. For some reason that bugs me. When Ya is used, all I can think of is the Swedish Chef from the Muppets. :roflol: