Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your pitch for getting new shooters to come out?

CHA-LEE

I have had dismal luck with talking to others about coming out to participate in a USPSA or IDPA match. I find that there are a lot of people that have pistols and like to shoot, but once I bring up competitive shooting in a match type situation they tend to run for the hills, come up with 98402834023 excuses as to why they can't go, or think I am some kind of gun crazy militia preacher or something like that.

I have tried to approach others about it from many different angles in normal conversations but getting some real traction is pretty hard. I have taken people out to shoot in practice sessions showing them examples of what a match stage looks like and how its shot. They all love doing that but when it comes to committing to go to a match its like pulling teeth. I don't understand what is so "Scary" about participating in a match verses practicing the same thing at the range.

I am at a loss to what the secret formula is to getting new shooters interested in shooting matches. If my fellow shooters can give me some examples of your successful match attendance persuasion tactics that would be awesome!!!

Edited by CHA-LEE

I don't get it either CHA-LEE. When I see those people just plinking or shooting at a plain plate rack... I think I'd lose my mind.

Some people just don't like the competition part I guess. Honestly- I don't work too hard getting them involved unless I see a glow in their eyes when they see it...

I first say to my friends... Hey wanna shoot guns? They usually come out after I ask them that. :roflol:

If not then I call them wussies and continue to berate them until they do LMAO! Usually these are friends of mine who haven't participated with firearms before, but they see videos of my shooting and they think its neat and would like to try. We don't attend many IPSC matches because of how far they are from us, also our priorities get the best of us. What I have found is how open-minded my friends are and many continue to shoot with me and want to get better. I find that there is so much talent out there. My friend is a football player and wrestler who is in excellent physical condition, he picked up my open gun for the first time and was shooting like he had been doing it for years. It seems like the people my age are interested in stuff like this and have alot of raw talent!!! :)

I really believe that we need more help in our promotion/marketing of the sport. I hope we can obtain new shooters, it's a lot of fun!

Our club offers an "IPSC 101" class. It has been very successful in getting new shooters into the sport, ingraining safety, and giving them solid and skills to build on.

Here's a link to a "flyer" for the very first class held last year. It's curriculum has stayed basically the same, but now the people running it have more experience after having run this class about 4 times now. Additionally they been incorporating student feedback all along so the class is only getting better and better.

During our match last month, the squad of newbies tackled a stage with a Rhodesian wall, as well as a stage which involved retreating and being really careful with 180's engaging targets through ports. All of this in their very first match. As I was shooting through, I got to watch them for a little bit. I was quite impressed with their performance. It left me wishing I could have been in a class like that when I got started.

I don't get it either CHA-LEE. When I see those people just plinking or shooting at a plain plate rack... I think I'd lose my mind.

Some people just don't like the competition part I guess. Honestly- I don't work too hard getting them involved unless I see a glow in their eyes when they see it...

They have to be interested in doing something beyond plinking and shooting static targets from fixed position.

When they are, I tell them about a new shooter/skills development clinic that is held on first Sat of the month at a local club. The session will work on safety, basic skills like stance, the draw, reload and movement to get a new guy to safely run a long cof. They shoot the same cof, at least twice depending on how much ammo they have, to start getting a grasp of how to shoot a match.

They have to be interested in doing something beyond plinking and shooting static targets from fixed position.

When they are, I tell them about a new shooter/skills development clinic that is held on first Sat of the month at a local club. The session will work on safety, basic skills like stance, the draw, reload and movement to get a new guy to safely run a long cof. They shoot the same cof, at least twice depending on how much ammo they have, to start getting a grasp of how to shoot a match.

At our club we have a lot of new shooters. Some of them watch one night to see what it is all about and the next week they come out. Also, a lot of shooters bring out their friends/family and they are usually hanging out on the side lines. We usually go over to them and say a joke like, "Where is your rig?" When they decide that they want to try it out, we ask them what equipment they have to put them in the right division. Then, we tell them everything about what is going on like safety rules, procedures, etc.

We have held a "Practical Pistol Open House" for the last two years. Our local newspaper will publish the information and one of our local gun shops put's the info in his radio advertising. The attendance has been good, 6-8 persons. We are in a rural county in the Midwest so I'm happy with that turnout. Out of those, 2 or 3 have shot a match or two. The club is small and private, the board has been convinced to let non members shoot for a higher fee, without joining the club. We have only one bay, so matches are a job as everyone shoots a stage, we tear it down and and reset the next. Yes, it takes time but the nearest alternative is 70 miles away. My attitude is a small match is better than no match. My most successful recruiting tool has been when I get together with a fellow shooter who is a state police officer for practice. The police car really draws spectators. I take the time to talk to people and get then to try the sport. I guess with the rural nature of the area, mall ninja's have not been an issue. I am VERY fortunate to have a group shooters, many who drive that 70 or more miles from another club, who attend the matches and help out. If I had to rely on the my fellow locals, it probably wouldn't happen.

What I do is get them out to just shoot with me first. I bring a carry type gun but then I bring one of my open match guns for them to try. It is usually my open Steel Challenge gun. WE shoot at paper with my guns and my ammo. I then tell them that my wife shoots also and sometimes she will come out with us. Ratgher than try to get them to an USPSA or IDPA match, I invite them to shoot steel in a match. Simple: Stand in one place at low ready and shoot. My gun an ammo, my dime once. If this is successful (about a 20% success rate) I invite them to come watch me shoot a stage or 2 of an IDPA match at the local club. If I get them out there, I am happy. If they are not intimidated, I invite them to USPSA. My guns, ammo and my dime once. Tough to sell this to newbies but I got at least 6 IDPA types from my club to USPSA matches last year.

MIke

Our sport can be VERY intimidating to new shooters. If you refer them to watch video on the internet, you often only find pro shooters who shoot faster and better than 95 percent of the rest of us. I have invited co-workers several times to watch matches and have offered to loan them gear to try it out. Some have even bought there own gear, but getting them to actually shoot the match is like pulling teeth.

I think the best idea is to offer a brief training course the day before or hours before the match, and then have all the beginners shoot in one squad together.

I have had dismal luck with talking to others about coming out to participate in a USPSA or IDPA match. I find that there are a lot of people that have pistols and like to shoot, but once I bring up competitive shooting in a match type situation they tend to run for the hills, come up with 98402834023 excuses as to why they can't go, or think I am some kind of gun crazy militia preacher or something like that.

I have tried to approach others about it from many different angles in normal conversations but getting some real traction is pretty hard. I have taken people out to shoot in practice sessions showing them examples of what a match stage looks like and how its shot. They all love doing that but when it comes to committing to go to a match its like pulling teeth. I don't understand what is so "Scary" about participating in a match verses practicing the same thing at the range.

I am at a loss to what the secret formula is to getting new shooters interested in shooting matches. If my fellow shooters can give me some examples of your successful match attendance persuasion tactics that would be awesome!!!

Two words.... YouTube

We post a link to some YouTube video on our steel match "intro" page on our website. We also have a booth at the local gun show where we show video clips from our matches. I've found that clips of average shooters (C class, D class) are more effective that clips of GM's, because they're less intimidating for new shooters.... Guys are thinking "that looks fun, and I could beat that guy!"

You can check out our steel match intro webpage at:

http://www.indyrange.com/Programs/FNS/steel_New.htm

It's a simple page, but it works!

• 3 weeks later...

Our club has a match every second Sunday of the month and on the second Friday, we have an intro to USPSA. We set up 2 short simple courses and have some of our local shooters teach and coach the safety and shooting fundamentals. We have a local shooter shoot the stage first (at a slower speed) then we show them how the stage is scored. When they get the chance to shoot it, we try to get them to go slow and get thier hits. After everyone has shot the stage once, we give them a chance to shoot it again at thier own pace. Our club charges for the indoor range intro but then we don't charge them match fees for thier first club match. Also at the club matches, we always put the new shooters at the bottom of the squads. This allows them to watch the stage and ask any questions before they shoot.

We also encourage new shooters to shoot in Production since most new shooters don't have a modified gun, yet.

Last month I had a long time friend shoot his first match and he had a blast! I will admit though, I pestered him for a loooong time and he finally gave in and came and watched a match. Then he shot the monthly intro match and regular match. He is already looking for a new pistol. Wait until we start 3 gun, his wife will really dislike me then!

Doug