Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

+2 for STI

usmc1974

Dawson Precision or Grams (i think its the 11mm pads)

what length mags will you be putting the +2 on?

If they're post ban 140mm, with the +2 the mag won't won't be USPSA legal.

If you got pre ban 140mm, you should be good to go.

• 1 month later...

Ok i can't find anywhere else to ask this question, and i know that i am not good with the search function on this site.

I am trying to get 20 rounds in factory sti mags. right now i can get 17 reloadable rounds in them and i start with 19, i can lock the slide back and get an 18 rounder in and then the whole +1 thing.

i bought 1 dawson baseplate and the dawson +1 follower and i can get 18 reloadable rounds in. can't get 19 at all.

should i cut a coil off the spring and see if that works or what.

I have 4 mags and plan on trying the dbp and follower in them to see if i can get more with a diff. mag and spring combo

any help is great.

Last time I checked Dawson was no longer making the +2 basepad.

Ok i can't find anywhere else to ask this question, and i know that i am not good with the search function on this site.

I am trying to get 20 rounds in factory sti mags. right now i can get 17 reloadable rounds in them and i start with 19, i can lock the slide back and get an 18 rounder in and then the whole +1 thing.

i bought 1 dawson baseplate and the dawson +1 follower and i can get 18 reloadable rounds in. can't get 19 at all.

I have 4 mags and plan on trying the dbp and follower in them to see if i can get more with a diff. mag and spring combo

any help is great.

Try the Grams spring and follower. The Dawson follower is taller. Post ban 140 mags with a +1 pad and the Grams spring and follower should get you an easy 19 rounds, maybe 20 on some mags. You can also try the Dawson +1 SNL for more capacity, but be sure to check it in the gauge.

If you use 11 mm Grams on a 140mm it will never make Limited only for Open. 4mm can be very close and not make it sometimes. Dawsons are a little longer than Grams most of the time for the same capictiy increase.

any help is great.

Grams springs and followers with Dawson SNL pads will get you a reloadable 19 easily and 20 in some mags. Bolen springs and followers will get you 20 reloadable but your tubes will need to be tuned by someone who knows what they are doing for the Bolen stuff to work reliably.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a couple of STI mags with Grams followers/springs and basepads and can only load 16 but have have two other mags set up the same way and can easily fit 20. I compared the tubes side by side and the 20 rnd tubes seem to be slightly more rounded at the corners and the feed lips a bit wider. The 20 rnd tubes are about 5-6 years old compared to the 16 rnd tubes which are new.

Anybody have this same issue?

It sounds like your follower is not going into the extended basepad. You may need to smooth out the transition or bevel the bottom of the follower to allow use of the full tube plus baseplate extension.

Mike

I had 4 SNL +1 base pads and NONE of them fit the gauge. I even tried to grind some of the bottom of the base pad because they were not much longer than the gauge but I busted through on all of them. The bottom thickness is not much so save your pads and do not try. Trust me :). I ordered the regular Dawson pads and there was NO difference in capacity. I run Arredondo springs and followers and get 19 reloadable and 20 stuffed with EITHER base pad. You will have to file the sides of the follower to get it to come all the way up into the feed lips. Not a big deal at all easy to do. Takes about 5 minutes with your wife's fingernail file.

Edited by barney88pdc

• 7 months later...

I contacted Bobby Keigans and he is not tunning mags anymore.

Does anyone know who does this kind of work?

I have to SVI (old style) mags with Dawson +1 basepads and grams springs and followers, that hold 19 rounds reloadable, but I understand that I can get to 20 reloadable with bolen springs and followers but mag needs tunning.

What kind of tunning? My mags have internal polished walls and the feedlips are in spec.

Probably all this trouble for an additional round is not worth it...but I must have it <_<

Edited by dvc4you

My mags

21 = Svi Mags tuned by svi

20 = Grames guts and basepad (work every time)

21 = sti tubes with bolen guts and 3mm bolen basepad

22 = Rescomp tube with bolen guts, 3mm bolen basepad and take a little of the follower and spring

Ok, I got the bolen follower and spring and the grams 4mm basepad from Shooters Connection. Put it in my "best" SV 140mm mag and I can hardly fit 20 rounds and I doubt it will work consistently as the first five rounds seem to sticking to the mag. Am I doing something wrong? :huh:

Correction, I tested the magazine today and it works (did not become a salt shaker :cheers: )

So: SVI mag (pre-ban)+ bolen follower and spring + grams 4mm basepad = 20 rounds (non reloadable). Now how the heck do I get to 21? :blush: Who does that kind of tuning (magic)?