Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCI Xrail

mrwhite1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a guy shoot one at last years FN USA Midwest 3-Gun Championship. I don't recall how he did but it looked cool. Seems like it would put alot of weight out in front making it hard to swing fast.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

$700?!?!? Yikes...

I received mine about a month ago and recently ran it at the Blue Ridge 3 gun. It functioned completely flawlessly on my M-2. Yes it adds some weight but that is not a problem and actually helps out a lot on the slug recoil.

I can not be certain since I forgot to back up the DVR and look again before I erased it but I was almost certain I saw an Xrail on a shotgun the tactical unit was using on "Justified" last week on FX. It was the episode about the guy who took a hostage in the US Marshall's office and they talked him out by promising him some fried chicken and Maker's Mark.

Mark if your reading this: Was I seeing things?

I got to demo one last week. He had it on a Mossberg 930. That thing ran great. 23 rds at a time, we shot the steel stage from the SSC Nationals. We ran 4+ cases of Federal ammo through it. Once you get going with it you don't even notice it's there.

Very well built. Super great guy. He's trying hard to get them going on most every shotgun out there.

I got to demo one last week. He had it on a Mossberg 930. That thing ran great. 23 rds at a time, we shot the steel stage from the SSC Nationals. We ran 4+ cases of Federal ammo through it. Once you get going with it you don't even notice it's there.

Very well built. Super great guy. He's trying hard to get them going on most every shotgun out there.

And to think I thought I was being excessive opening my 3rd case. Ends up like your first experience with a full auto weapon. You never get tired of shooting it...only loading it.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw a fellow use one a couple weeks ago and it ran great.

Looks like the threat of the Saigas has jump started the tubers to innovate.

IMO, and no I did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night, the XRail is much better than the Saiga system. Tube feed for shotgun shells is much more reliable than the magazine feeds. You also with the XRail have the option of loading a slug or buck in the gun without changing mags and back again to bird without another magazine change. The XRail is a add on to an existing reliable firearm vs the Saiga where you need to do extensive modifications to the gun to make it reliable. And last but not least, the price of the XRail not withstanding, it is much cheaper to buy a shotgun and add an XRail than it is to buy a Saiga, get it modified to where it works "most of the time" and buy the magazines needed.

IMO, and no I did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night, the XRail is much better than the Saiga system. Tube feed for shotgun shells is much more reliable than the magazine feeds. You also with the XRail have the option of loading a slug or buck in the gun without changing mags and back again to bird without another magazine change. The XRail is a add on to an existing reliable firearm vs the Saiga where you need to do extensive modifications to the gun to make it reliable. And last but not least, the price of the XRail not withstanding, it is much cheaper to buy a shotgun and add an XRail than it is to buy a Saiga, get it modified to where it works "most of the time" and buy the magazines needed.

I will have to disagree. The guy who had it told me it does affect the balance a LOT! My saiga is still being tweaked. Stock the reliability of the Saiga is without dispute. After adding the magwell mags must be tuned and after a lot of reliable rounds the first match I used it in I had one hiccup that was my fault for riding the bolt and one that is unexplained. It will get better.

Price is an issue. A $700 plus mag plus a shotgun is a lot more than a Saiga. IF I know the course of fire I can load a mag easily with shot or slugs as needed. Did it last week for a stage and it worked fine.

I think the xrail is cool and if I were a tube guy Id definatly have one. I just prefer the balance and mags of the saiga. A 20 round drum on a non magwell gun with one in the tube is pretty much the equal of the xrail and balanced a whole lot better.

Comes down to what you like.

I'd also like to comment.

Any person who uses a firearm and doesn't know HOW it works, and therefore HOW to fix it, and won't spend the time to find out should not own a Saiga.

If you take all your guns to a gunsmith to change the stock or a trigger component, don't buy a Saiga.

I do all my own Saiga work. My Saigas function FLAWLESSLY. My S-12 has thousands of rounds through it. I don't oil it. I don't clean it. It works. I made it work with a hammer, a screwdriver, and a dremel.

From the two previous posts I must have purchased 3 Saigas who were put together by a brand new alcholic worker on a Friday after lunch and the prices I have been quoted for modifications were mistaken and/or not needed. I look forward to seeing both of you at the Pan Am where you can show me how you are going to take a mag full of birdshot, change the mag, fire a couple of slugs, change back to birdshot and complete the stage using a stock Saiga quicker than that procedure can be performed on an XRail gun.

And maybe it is just me because I shoot a Browning in sporting clays instead of the much lighter Berreta but the balance of the XRail is not a problem. Different strokes for different folks.

From the two previous posts I must have purchased 3 Saigas who were put together by a brand new alcholic worker on a Friday after lunch and the prices I have been quoted for modifications were mistaken and/or not needed. I look forward to seeing both of you at the Pan Am where you can show me how you are going to take a mag full of birdshot, change the mag, fire a couple of slugs, change back to birdshot and complete the stage using a stock Saiga quicker than that procedure can be performed on an XRail gun.

And maybe it is just me because I shoot a Browning in sporting clays instead of the much lighter Berreta but the balance of the XRail is not a problem. Different strokes for different folks.

My saiga is anything but stock. My magwell makes mag changes very fast. I can preload mags as needed and I use colored elec tape on the bottem of the mags to ID. there are now 20 round mags for sale as well but I dont have one,,yet. The current magwells make the drums unuseable.

I dont know how the xrail works that well when it comes to slug drills and such. Do you have to manually index the thing for a row of slugs?? Id didnt get to shoot the one I saw but I like all kinds of guns so Id like to try one.

I do know that there was a issue of gas ports being off on a bunch of the 08 year Saigas. They were called "vodka specials" and Cadiz Gunworks was the factory authorized vendor that fixed a bunch of them under warranty. Lots of folks who work on their own guns did it themselves. Mine was made in 06 so its good. With the same gun I can hunt, compete, shoot clays with the polychoke adjusted. Did you have a Saiga in the safe you might want to sell??

My question is what will happen to stage design when this thing hits Open for real? Will stage designers feel compelled to have 40 round stages just to force open shooters to make some reloads? What will that do to Limited? Or are we going to see a world were open shotgunners don't need to reload on most stages, kinda like most open pistol shooters don't need to reload on most stages.

Of course, I'm assuming that this only gets to be used in Open. It would be hilarious if it is allowed in limited, the screams of agony will never end. On the other hand it may make practical shotgun more of a shooting challenge in less of a reloading one.

"...using a stock Saiga quicker than that procedure can be performed on an XRail gun."

Soooo you want a STOCK $500 shotgun to beat a gun with an X-Rail that costs MORE than the Saiga? Sweet.

My entire post was based on a stock Saiga vs. a stock something else with the XRail since the previous post talked about cost. Based on what I see, a stock something else with an XRail is going to cost about half or less of that Saiga with all the mods unless you are talented enough to do the mods all yourself.

I doubt we are going to see many 40 round stages for shotgun. Any MD that wants to put it in a match is going to have to come up with staff to run a stage of that size but even if they can, why would a limited shooter care? Yes, you have to carry a lot of shotgun shells but there is plenty of equipment out there that can do this and more.

I doubt we are going to see many 40 round stages for shotgun. Any MD that wants to put it in a match is going to have to come up with staff to run a stage of that size but even if they can, why would a limited shooter care?

I think the limited shooters will care because after a while it gets kinda boring to shove rounds into the gun. The shotgun game is already to much of a reloading game, no reason to make it more so. Ironically, the Xrail seems to be designed to allow you to reload less, but I worry that it may have the opposite effect for any one who doesn't have one. You can't even call it the beta-mag of shutguns, the difference in times will be far vaster.