Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV tubes look sketchy

Will_M

I just got some SV 140mm tubes in. A couple of issues.

Most importantly to me. They came packaged loose. No markings, no wrapper stating they are SV tubes other than the invoice. In fact one came wrapped in a paper towel. Is this normal?

Inside the tube I can see the line where the opposing sides of the tube were welded together. My new STI tubes do not have this.

The outside of the tubes look rough. Like someone took a grider to the parting line to grind off the weld bead.

Is this normal? I'm withholding the name of the site I ordered them until I find out if this is commonplace or not. I was really excited when I found some available, but this is a little disconcerting.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Edited by Will_M

You can tell the tubes are SV's by design. Look on their website to see if your tube have the proper indentions. All of the the complete SV mags i've gotten (>10) are in an SV container. The tubes usually come in a clear container wrapped in a paper towel.

I got a couple 140 tubes that look like you are describing. They probably wrap them in a paper towel, throw them in a box and ship them. My 170's came in plastic packages with the SV header in them. You're right, the welds look bad on the inside. Pocked up, etc. The outside has the flash removed with 100 grit or coarser sand paper. I have older SV tubes that look much better but it seems what you describe is the norm for newer production tubes.

You can tell the tubes are SV's by design. Look on their website to see if your tube have the proper indentions. All of the the complete SV mags i've gotten (>10) are in an SV container. The tubes usually come in a clear container wrapped in a paper towel.

That's how mine have showed up as well. R,

It's different if you buy a complete mag-which I've been able to do twice-they still come in the paper towel, but lips and outside polished. I think it is assumed that shooters putting their own mags together will polish and do cosmetic work and want a raw product so they have metal to work with. The mag set I got recently are jewel quality to me. Have fun! I think their machining is second to none.

Thanks for the response guys. This will be my first S_I limited gun and all the hype surrounding SV tubes, I guess I was expecting to open the box and a chorus of angels chime in as the tubes began to emit their own light.

I will certainly still post pictures if anyone wants a better idea of how they look.

Thanks for the response guys. This will be my first S_I limited gun and all the hype surrounding SV tubes, I guess I was expecting to open the box and a chorus of angels chime in as the tubes began to emit their own light.

I will certainly still post pictures if anyone wants a better idea of how they look.

Mine sing, yours must be broken, you can send them to me for testing and evaluation. :devil:

It's different if you buy a complete mag-which I've been able to do twice-they still come in the paper towel, but lips and outside polished. I think it is assumed that shooters putting their own mags together will polish and do cosmetic work and want a raw product so they have metal to work with. The mag set I got recently are jewel quality to me. Have fun! I think their machining is second to none.

My complete mags look like jewelry too. They are so polished that everyone seems to gravitate more towards them than my gun :roflol:

• 3 weeks later...

Takes me days to make an SV mag look good (blingified) and perform the way I want it to.wacko.gif

LoL! Mr. Johnny polished 17 mags TODAY! And boy, he sure has gotten the hang of it after a little practice.