Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo for USPSA shooting

Im very new to the comformed shooting aspect of USPSA/IDPA so i was wondering how does a very NEW beginner like myself get ammo for matches?Do i break the bank and try to stock pile bulk ammo(gun shows) or do i break the bank and take up reloading?The range my matches are held at they had a brick(1000rds)of .40s&w ammo for $379.99,but one of the board members does reloads and can reload me 1000rds for $250.

Walmart is pretty cheap for ammo.

I use Win 9MM white box it makes minor, I don't know about .40 making major.

Reloading is the way to go, the sooner you start, the sooner you start saving $$$

I started with a Dillon Square deal, one caliber ready to load, just needed a scale, dial caliper, eventually I got a tumbler to clean brass, (you can borrow until ready). Save your brass, get some primers , powder & bullets....and a friend to show you the ropes............

Edited by revomodel10

Until you get set up to reload check out Atlanta Arms and Georgia Arms. Both offer reloaded ammo for better prices than you'll get at the ChiCom, er Wal-Mart. Atlanta Arms, in particular, reloads ammo tailored for our game and supports our sport.

Until you get set up to reload check out Atlanta Arms and Georgia Arms. Both offer reloaded ammo for better prices than you'll get at the ChiCom, er Wal-Mart. Atlanta Arms, in particular, reloads ammo tailored for our game and supports our sport.

thanks to all for the great info i already have my order in for 500 rds from georgia arms !!!

Im very new to the comformed shooting aspect of USPSA/IDPA so i was wondering how does a very NEW beginner like myself get ammo for matches?Do i break the bank and try to stock pile bulk ammo(gun shows) or do i break the bank and take up reloading?The range my matches are held at they had a brick(1000rds)of .40s&w ammo for $379.99,but one of the board members does reloads and can reload me 1000rds for $250.

That sounds expensive. I can reload 1000 rds of .40 for $170. Reloading certainly is the cheaper route but has a higher startup cost involved.

Can't speak for GA,

but Wally world, where I live is (Win 9MM 115 100ct),@21+tax, GA looks to be @25...........again, I can't speak for .40 nor where you are..........

That sounds expensive. I can reload 1000 rds of .40 for $170. Reloading certainly is the cheaper route but has a higher startup cost involved.

It does seem a little high, but it really depends on where he's getting his brass from and what the bullets are. Most jacketed .40 bullets are in the ballpark of $110/K, $30 for primers, $10-15 for powder, so if he's buying new cases it could make sense. If he's getting once-fired for whatever it's going for ($30ish/K last I knew) he's making something like $60/K for his time.

I bought my ammo (and saved my brass) during my first year of USPSA. After I was sure that I was going to stay with it, my wife gave me a Dillon 650 for my birthday. Remember, you don't reload to save money, you reload so you can shoot more for the same money.

Hurley

Mail order through firms like Atlanta Arms for reloads or Cabellas for factory ammo is the way to go. There are many others as well. Just make sure to keep the brass. As others have said, if you stick with this sport you'll eventually want to reload your own rounds.

Glad you're enjoying our sport. :)

Mail order through firms like Atlanta Arms for reloads or Cabellas for factory ammo is the way to go. There are many others as well. Just make sure to keep the brass. As others have said, if you stick with this sport you'll eventually want to reload your own rounds.

Glad you're enjoying our sport. :)

Ordering in bulk is as good a way to go as any. I would definitely save the brass from the rounds you shoot. If nothing else, you can sell it at gun shows or trade around for some reloaded ammo.

While it is about 1/2 as much as factory loaded ammo, the biggest advantage in reloading is tailoring an accurate round for your gun at a power factor that you want.

I bought my ammo (and saved my brass) during my first year of USPSA. After I was sure that I was going to stay with it, my wife gave me a Dillon 650 for my birthday. Remember, you don't reload to save money, you reload so you can shoot more for the same money.

Hurley

+1 that's a great for a beginner

Welcome to the sport, I've been reloading for over 20 years and is the only way I can afford to keep myself, son, and girlfriend shooting. I also cast my own lead bullets for practice and local matches, which has my cost on 9MM/.40 S$W and .45 ACP below what .22 rimfire costs. Keep in mind, that does not include my time, and I have the brass and raw lead, but it is a labor of love and adds to the sport, for me anyway, I know some of you think I'm nuts, but live and let reload/cast

+1 Sr. I started casting my .40 bullets to save money and even make my own bullet lube, I've got the lead and a lot of .40 brass so the only $$ I have in my ammo is from powder and primers. I figure I have about $28/K in my loaded ammo. Of course, I'm not putting any value on my time...if I did, it wouldn't be worth doing.

Buying factory ammo to begin with is a good idea, you get brass to reload and you'll find out if you want to pursue the sport. If you can afford to buy factory, keep doing it but reloading your own is considerably cheaper.

EG

I recently started using the Atlanta arms ammo and am very pleased with it. I really don't have the space for a reloader and while I know it saves quite a bit of money, with the way my schedule is I don't have the spare time to devote to it. The atlanta arms ammo is quality stuff and is basically the stuff you would reload if doing it yourself. the face that the cost is basically the same as the mart ammo, its a win win.

Atlanta Arms & Ammo is great stuff. If you get the used brass which is the cheapest way to go just make sure to check all the head stamps. I have had a few .357 SIG rounds

mixed in with the .40's. It's difficult to tell the difference unless you look at the head stamp. One of these rounds caused my gun to seize up in a match so I make sure to check

them all before I shoot any. This is probably good practice for any reloaded ammo.

If you supply the brass, will he knock off $30 or so? Winchester White box at wally world is around $30-31 per hundred in North Central Florida.

The only ammo my wally world had in was one box of win .40 (whitebox) for 17.97 for 50 rds ,on a whim i went into a pawn shop around the corner and he as several boxes of win.40 (white boxes)but has 100rds and wants 36.99 per box

Edited by midwest-uspsa-shooter

I'm gonna go with reloading. It will hurt a little in the beginning, but it is awesome to go load 300 rounds without forking out any moola.

I suggest buying the ancillary stuff first, like tumbler, scale, and dial caliper- that will run you around $100-$125 if you shop around.

Then, buy a 1000 primers and 300 or so bullets- that will run another $60-$80 depending on bullet price.

Then, all you have left is the press. I recommend the Dillon RL550b if you think you will stick with it. I just like the 550 a little better than the Sq Deal because you can do rifle rounds.......but some people don't care about that.

Anyway, the 550 will run you about $420 from this Enos' store, set up for one caliber.

I know it's a butt load of money, but if you don't buy them at once, and spread it out over a few months, then it's doable on a limited budget.

I will say though, that you should make sure that you want to shoot a decent amount before you invest your money in the reloading gear.

If you plan on shooting for than 300 rounds a month, then you can pay for the reloading equipment in about a year.

YMMV though.

I was in the same boat several years ago. I was lucky enough to find a mentor among the regular skilled shooters at matches I went to as a newbie. He let me come to his house and reload some ammo on one of his machines. That did an awful lot to allay my fears about the complexity of reloading. Once I realized that it isn't very hard at all to reload pistol ammo, it was clear that was the way to go (by this time I knew I would be shooting competitively for a long time--it wasn't just a phase).

I'd say find a friend who reloads now, and get him to let you use his machine and tools. Once you've saved enough money, buy a press for yourself.

I use Win 9MM white box it makes minor, I don't know about .40 making major.

Factory .40S&W normally makes Major rather comfortably.

Last match chrono with my Limited gun (CZ 75 TS) was 177PF with factory Federal 180gr.