Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a mass bullet puller

rupture

I'm in the same boat with some bad rounds I bought a while back from a guy (1,400 of them though!). Get a stump, get the bullet puller, and 3 buckets. From experience, wear gloves, after about the 250th one, your hands will start going numb!

A collet puller is a faster and painless way to do it. Hornady's version uses a cam system to clamp the bullet, it's faster and easier than the RCBS version. The nice thing with the collet systems are that they are much neater. The powder is in the case, not in a hammer head along with the bullet.

Collet pullers don't work well with lead or moly bullets and neither poster mentioned what type bullet they needed to pull. Collet pullers also have a learning curve, too tight and it deforms the bullet and too light it sctatches the bullet without pulling it. Never tried the cam version it wasn't invented yet the last time I used a collet puller.

I have used the RCBS collet puller to pull 115 and 124 Jacketed bullets in the past on my Dillon 550 press with very good results. It is well worth the $20 in time and powder saved. It will leave a small ring on the bullet and you might want to use them as practice rounds once you reload them.

I was just going to recommend an MP-5.....

That or a 9mm AR.

Send them to me and I'll safely get rid of them for you in my 635 build. :roflol:

Nothing like a 9mm HBAR!

Edited by DyNo!

I'm in the same boat with some bad rounds I bought a while back from a guy (1,400 of them though!). Get a stump, get the bullet puller, and 3 buckets. From experience, wear gloves, after about the 250th one, your hands will start going numb!

Best surface to hit the puller on is a concrete floor (I've also used an anvil). The problem I found with wood (e.g. stump) is that the wood absorbs too much of the energy and you don't get the required bounce. You end up having to hit it 5 or 6 times. When hitting on concrete floors most reloads I've pulled only take one or two sharp hits.

I used the collet puller on my 550. Cycled the cases around and then dropped them into the akro bin. Took the cases and powder and ran them through the birdcage (media separator) and had primed brass. Took the powder and had fireworks.

Worked pretty slick once I found the tempo and tightness needed on the collet puller.

I got the collet puller because the cam type wasn't available in 40.

ap

• 1 month later...

Best surface to hit the puller on is a concrete floor (I've also used an anvil). The problem I found with wood (e.g. stump) is that the wood absorbs too much of the energy and you don't get the required bounce. You end up having to hit it 5 or 6 times. When hitting on concrete floors most reloads I've pulled only take one or two sharp hits.

Much easier to break the hammer hitting something hard and unyielding. Done two that way, just below the hammer on the handle. They were from Dillon but RCBS makes them.

Edited by Wildkow

Do the math. What's your time and monetary investment for rescuing $50 worth of ammo?

Intertial bullet pullers are $15 - $20.

Die type are $30 - $40.

So that'sa net $10 to $35 recovered. Is your time worth it?

I know that my wife gets angry when I sit on the floor in the living room, watching CSI with her, and slamming my inertial bullet puller on the carpet every 20 seconds. After 15 bullets, she sends me out to the garage! It's worth the $35 then!!

Much easier to break the hammer hitting something hard and unyielding. Done two that way, just below the hammer on the handle. They were from Dillon but RCBS makes them.

I've broken a puller on concrete too, and if I had more than 200 or 300 rounds to pull I would still do it on the concrete. Like flyer said, the wood absorbs the energy and it will take multiple swings.

Also, like grumpyone said, definitely wear gloves because you will get pretty bad blisters after you've done a few hundred...