Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where do you put your thumbs..

RevolverJockey

Fellow Revo shooter and I are just getting started and have been trying out a whole bunch of different grips, reloading methods etc and I just wanted to see what everyone else was doing to see if there was a trend. If you don't fall into one of these, feel free to share what works for you and why. Also, include what grips you are using. Thanks,

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Jerry is using essentially Massad Ayoob's grip. He kind of curls his thumbs down. What Mr. Ayoob says is that with this grip, you should squeeze the grip until your hands start to shake from the force, then back off until they don't.

Corey...Better pic? or bigger pic?! :surprise:

Edited by GrumpyOne

i dont shoot a revolver, but this guy seems to know a thing or two about it:

Yes, he certainly does. No disrespect to Jerry or to you, but he is not the only revolver shooter out there. Seems like he holds a stranglehold on everything revo. I wish I knew enough to make this a poll topic, lol.

Lee

Edited by Flexmoney
to remove the pics...no need to quote them.

Jerry is using essentially Massad Ayoob's grip. He kind of curls his thumbs down. What Mr. Ayoob says is that with this grip, you should squeeze the grip until your hands start to shake from the force, then back off until they don't.

Corey...Better pic? or bigger pic?! :surprise:

hahahaha, no idea it was that big! :blink: gives a good chance to get a good close look @ Jerry's form tho,

Yes, he certainly does. No disrespect to Jerry or to you, but he is not the only revolver shooter out there. Seems like he holds a stranglehold on everything revo. I wish I knew enough to make this a poll topic, lol.

Lee

yea, like i said, I dont shoot revo, hell i think ive shot a revolver maybe just a few times in my life! haha. if i were to start tho, thats where Id look first. hopefully some others will be able to add a little insight

The thumb-over grip RePete's showing is similar to Jack Weaver's grip and works if your hands are big enough for the handle in question. On a Smith J as shown, it's the best for me, but my fingers are on the short side so I don't really have enough length for a full-sized stock like on an N-frame.

Sure does work, though.

Some fret about changing back over to self-loaders and leaving the offside thumb up there and getting it sliced up by the slide. I guess that's possible, but I'm not too worried.

I do worry when I see new shooters naturally taking that hold with slideguns, and it is common. That tells me, though, that there must be something natural and strong about thumb-over.

The grip depicted in the Miculek photos works when the strong-side thumb is pressed down hard into the speedloader cutout most stocks have.

In the end, revolvers suffer ergonomic problems like these because they're still so close to their single-action forebears with the plow-handle grips more suited to letting the gun slide down during recoil.

Yet, most of us would struggle with the aesthetics of a proper grip shaped revolver.

Has anyone tried left thumb on the shroud and the right thumb on the release (hogue in my case)? It feels really natural to me and points well - I do notice a bit more recoil. I find it interesting my thumb is right there on the release when I need it and provides an easy index point to place my right thumb during reloading. With the JM type grip, I have a big stress point on the top of my thumb, this may be because I am using BBs.

I tend to hold like Jerry does, thumb over thumb, I just hold the grip longer, he's unloading and showing clear while I'm still shootin' the stage !!! Also prefer the Miculek grips, as I find hand placement on the draw is not as critical as with finger grove grips

Mitch, I use essentially the same grip on the revolver that I use with a bottomfeeder. My support hand thumb lays right along the frame below the cylinder. Being left handed, this also helps my reload by just reaching the thumb up to kick the cylinder open.

Jerry

Has anyone tried left thumb on the shroud and the right thumb on the release (hogue in my case)? It feels really natural to me and points well - I do notice a bit more recoil. I find it interesting my thumb is right there on the release when I need it and provides an easy index point to place my right thumb during reloading. With the JM type grip, I have a big stress point on the top of my thumb, this may be because I am using BBs.

I tried that with that grip and found that I would wind up with the left thumbnail broken. A little too much right thumb pressure on the cyclinder release would bind up the trigger. With the big Hogue cyclinder release I had trouble getting my right thumb down for the support thumb overlap so I went back to factory. The key with the big butt is to get the web of the thumb as close to the top of the grip as possible and the support hand little finger against the bottom of the butt. This helps reduce the recoil torque and makes for faster followup shots, I was averaging .25 splits.

Anyone with wood BBs want to chime in on what they are using for a grip?

Lee

My grip starts with the stronghand (right hand for me) is as high as possible. The web of my thumb and forefinger is even with the top of the back of the grip frame. My hammer spurs are removed as they make contact with my hand when the revo is fired if not removed. My stronghand thumb rests on the cylinder release with my weak hand thumb under the stronghand thumb. And my thumbs are pointed toward the target. My left hand is two fingers lower on my right hand. My weak hand is gripping harder than my stronghand as this allows my trigger finger to work without flexing my stronghand to keep it from affect the revolver. As a note I do not rest my weak hand thumb on the rebound shield as it will bust my thumb as LPaterson states in his post. Hope this is helpful. later rdd

I use a thumbs forward grip on my wheelguns - same grip I use on a bottom feeder. It's the same type of grip that Craig Buckland is using in this picture from the 2010 Winter Nationals or whatever they're called now.

buckland-thumbs-forward-actionshootingpodcast.jpg

I use a thumbs forward grip on my wheelguns - same grip I use on a bottom feeder. It's the same type of grip that Craig Buckland is using in this picture from the 2010 Winter Nationals or whatever they're called now.

He isn't far off from getting some gas on that forward thumb?