Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just curious

usmc1974

Before carrying my new M&P .40, I carried a Glock 27 for over 7 years. It was when I shot my friends XD that I realized a change needed to be made. That's how I made my way over to the M&P. What got me... The grip angle. For me, the M&P points level as soon as I bring it up; the Glock didn't.

I love Smith revolvers specialy the big old N frames tryed all the Smith autos I gave up on them for all the reason I see here. I really liked the 645 big old honk'en auto, I still do and it runs OK, with only Federal primers.

Before my .40 Compact I didn't really have anything, before I got my .40 fullsize I was shooting a Para Ordnance for USPSA, but I have a lot of other guns too. The M&P feels a lot better to me, I bought the Para online and didn't get a chance to feel it. That is a mistake if you ask me. It never felt quite right, and my scores showed it. I tried to make the gun work, but I couldn't do it. I wasn't competitive enough with it, but this year will be a lot different. I've been practicing a lot lately with my M&P and the first match is in a few weeks, I'll be ready for it. I like wheel guns a lot, I have a 28-2 and a bunch of Rugers that I like to shoot.

Edited by GISMap

Price... With the current S&W promotion, a new full size M&P 40 costs just a few $$$ more than a LE trade-in Glock 22.

I've started accumulating parts to build a budget limited gun with it. If you make it out to Millcreek this weekend, I will bring it with and you can see the progress (or the lack there of...).

I will most likely be shooting Revo as I still need to work up a load that will make major out of the shorter barrel.

Riich

P.S. When I am not shooting the S&W 625, I've been shooting either a Glock34 or a CZ75 primarily in Production for the past few years.

Edited by Wideload

Came from a Glock 17. Loved the reliability but the grip was a hair to large for my hand and I'd get slide bite to the point of bleeding if I didn't have the grip just right.

Very happy with my M&P 9L so far... but it has seen less than 1K rounds and I haven't shot a match with it yet so I am reserving judgement.

Price... With the current S&W promotion, a new full size M&P 40 costs just a few $$$ more than a LE trade-in Glock 22.

I've started accumulating parts to build a budget limited gun with it. If you make it out to Millcreek this weekend, I will bring it with and you can see the progress (or the lack there of...).

I will most likely be shooting Revo as I still need to work up a load that will make major out of the shorter barrel.

Riich

P.S. When I am not shooting the S&W 625, I've been shooting either a Glock34 or a CZ75 primarily in Production for the past few years.

I will be there but I am leaving the 25-5 at the house Se you there.

I have used a few different platforms, 1911's, XDm, etc... I am now using the M&P because it I can use it in ESP and SSP shooting IDPA and Prod in USPSA. I went with this instead of the Glock since it feels right in my hand. I would use the XDm more but it I can't shoot in SSP.

Glock 34 for 2 yrs... Started with it and worked my way up to SSP Master 1st places in State-level matches with it.

M&P is more lefty-friendly, and the small backstrap allows me to hit everything with zero grip shifting. Had to change my grip 3 times for a slidelock reload on the Glock.

Spent the first month on the Smith wishing it ran like my Glock, and figuring out how to mod it, and my reloads, to get 100% reliability.

Life with the M&P is good now. Wouldn't switch back. :-)

I started with a single stack back in 1980 and worked my way through all of the changes in guns, from the single stack to single stack 45 com gun to single stack 38 super and shoot both limited and open with para high caps. I like them a lot but decided to shoot one of the plastic pistols for a time.

The reason that I choose the M&P is the way it fits my hand and comes up when I index it, I can close my eyes and bring it up and the sights are very close when I open them. Also I got the 40 so I can shoot in limited and production and get another classification. Also the glock trigger makes my trigger finger sore.

Edited by paul gilman

I started shooting IDPA using XD9 tactical. After shooting my buddy's full size M&P with a Burwell trigger job I made the switch when the m&p PRO hit the shelves and haven't looked back. The grip is much more comfortable and my shooting improved dramatically as a result. Just recently picked up an M&P 45 to shoot in CDP.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to shoot a Para P18 LDA. It is different, feels kind of mushy or soft not really me. Could be a good production gun but would take some getting use to and, would need to leave the other 1911's alone. For a production gun, I will stick with my 92 for now. Maybe an M&P later when/if, they get the bugs out of them.

1911, single action, single stack.

I changed to the MP platform because I'm faster with it, and just as accurate as my Para Ord. The 17 rounds to 7 rounds thing is a side effect for me, not a driving force.

The MP shares the grip angle, I can work all controls just as fast if not faster, and my splits are lower. It's my new carry gun, and competition gun once I get enough mags for it.

Edited by jeep45238